South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. basilbug

basilbug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where it's 95 plus degrees 4-5 months a year..
    He's trying to burn your cons and rods.
  2. SplitLanesLikeMOSES

SplitLanesLikeMOSES ....................

Oddometer:
    Great trip!!!! I'll be in South America (Peru and Ecuador) in Dec. and then Panama to VA. If you guys are somewhere around there then let's ride. Good Luck:D
  3. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Wow, looks like we're getting quite the response. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

As for rabies shots, we'll just have to get them on an "as needed" basis. The nurse at the health department in Kansas City told me there was a shortage and I couldn't get the vaccine unless I had a bite.

As for the Motorcycle diaries, I read the book years ago and saw the movie when it came out. It was pretty good, but the movie left out some of the uglier details (like when they accidentally shot a dog, or when Che pooed all over someones awning). :lol3
  4. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whenever I tell someone about the trip I get "Oh like the motorcycle diaries!" I say yeah, but Che was a big pussy and didn't go all the way up or all the way down.

Then I tell them that I plan to tell everyone on the way down that I think Che was a pussy because of that, while my brother tells them that Pinochet was the best thing to ever happen to Chile. I think we'll be two pretty popular guys... that is if we aren't dead before we get out of Mexico :lol3 .
  5. haggeo

haggeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you can get a shot of rabies for free anywhere in latin america: find street dog, taunt, get bitten and BANG! free shot of rabies. :lol3

i'll be following along.....
  6. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a KLR250 ? Dude, you are my hero ! Hope you modified the seat, or by the time you return you'l be singing Castrato in the Vienna Boys' Choir.
    Are you taking a laptop, or can we expect updates from internet cafes ?

I'm subscribed !

I presume you've read the Lois on the Loose blog about her 'long-way-down'...
  7. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Got a sheepskin from Aerostich. You do kind of sit on your balls with that bike.
  8. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend has an old laptop that she's getting rid of. The price is right, it's free, but I'd have to do some labor on it so it would actually be worth taking. Either way we have a smugmug account and will be posting periodically as we make our way down.
  9. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    subscribed.:D
  10. Lake_Bueller

Lake_Bueller Own ALL the Corners

Oddometer:
    Have you guys read "Two Wheels to Adventure"? Its an autobiography by Danny Lisko. He was the first person to travel from Alaksa to Argentina on a motorcycle.

My wife bought a first edition copy for me a few years ago for Christmas. I'm not even sure you can still find the second (and last) edition. It's a great read and very inspiring.
  11. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    You guys could have all this done, FOR FREE, at the Latin America Rally in Colorado last week. Oh well... maybe next time.

Sorry, I missed medjet on the to-do list.

And I didn't mean to bring up a can of worms and I surely don't want to freak you out or anything- about rabies. I guess a lab in Europe that produces the normal vaccine has some kind of back-log. I was able to get the first two shots, but not the third. And a friend of mine was bitten in Costa Rica. Protocol for a dog bite is basically a direct flight home. Medjet will cover it. My friend got his first shot of anti-rabies in Costa Rica, and he finished the course in the US. Even if you had had the vaccine, you'd still need a booster after getting bitten. The best thing about the vaccine is that it buys you time.

Rabies, as you probably know, is fatal.

But you're riding motorcycles! Forgetting to put up your kickstand can be fatal! So who cares!

Malaria, yellow fever, cholera, dengue- they're not always fatal. You've got a better chance of getting malaria though. So take those malaria pills and use that deet.

You probably remember from my ride report that I was almost bitten like a kazillion times. The important thing is, I WASN'T.

I think you should buy some CHE stickers and color a big NO over them. In red.
  12. curvemadd3

curvemadd3 Enjoy Motorcyclin'

Oddometer:
    Just wonderin' if you guys are french,we do have a lot of Seguin up here.If not ,doesn't matter,good luck.If so,then,I'll follow the thread!!:thumb
  13. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Ancestry is French (part of it). Several years ago a great uncle who is into geneology traced my dad's side of the family back to a Frenchman in the 14th or 15th century (I think) who was the leader of a group of soldiers that had been disbanded after some big war. They went around the country side raping and pillaging and just generally being bastards. I guess this Seguin feller was such a bastard that his own men mutinied and hung him. Pretty good story if you ask me.
  14. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    Hey, guys, just wanted to wish you good luck.

I'm a Colorado rider working down here in Antarctica to save enough to take a year off and ride some of my dreams.

I just turned 41 and have less idea of what I want to do for a living than when I got out of university. You've got the rest of your lives to work for someone. Might as well get on with the business of living large and unapologetically!

Make sure you read the Ozymandias thread, and watch out for donkeys.
  15. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    You guys haven't left yet? :rofl

Have a great adventure. There better be good photos and some really freakin' good stories :deal.
  16. SplitLanesLikeMOSES

SplitLanesLikeMOSES ....................

Oddometer:
    Yo Charles, here we are. Hope to see you down there. I'm on the far right of the pic.

BMW  Riders v1.jpg
  17. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    Who's the F650 rider on the left. Doesn't she know about the Chain Gang? And dammit I do ride a girls bike. :dunno
  18. SLUGGO

SLUGGO A Lone Drifter

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk Let's have some pictures! You are gonna take a camera aren't you?
  19. ChurnDog

ChurnDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk Alright I'm in. Can't wait to see how the turns out :clap
  20. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Yes we'll be taking a camera. Put up the thread a little early so that we could send links out to folks and get it on a business card etc. I'll put up some pics of my bike once we finish the luggage system today/tomorrow.