South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. SplitLanesLikeMOSES

SplitLanesLikeMOSES ....................

Oddometer:
    Pics,pics,pics!!!!:lurk
  2. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Here's my trusty steed:

[​IMG]

As you can see, she's not quite road-ready. But she will be by Monday.

Here's another shot of the beauty:

[​IMG]

As you can see I've spared no expense to travel in style.

3. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    Damn, those are some tiny panniers!

Well, you won't be tempted to take the kitchen sink along.

Paris Hilton could barely get one of her little toy dogs in there.
  4. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. He told me they were small. But that small? Damn. Well you know what they say about a guy with a small luggage system. :lol3
  5. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They look like good platforms to tie a couple extra small drybags to.
  6. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Good to eat dinner with you tonight Charles.
    Good luck on getting your wheel laced. It will all work out.:thumb

Hope to see you Sat at the party!:deal
  7. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Bananaman,

Charles knows me pretty well so you can be sure he will have a MedJetAssist policy before he leaves! :deal He's heard how often I've used it.

Charles & Joe,

Good luck to both of you. Joe, too bad you couldn't make FALARR. We had a great time.
  8. dillinger09

dillinger09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Richmond, Va physically. Mentally still in CO
    subscribed:lurk :lurk
  9. dillinger09

dillinger09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Richmond, Va physically. Mentally still in CO
    woops
  10. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Got that wheel all laced up tonight. It was actually easier than I expected and the rim came out truer than I expected to get it. A friend let me use his garage to do it in, and built a little home-brew truing stand for me.

Hope to make it to that party, but have a lot of good-byes to get in yet this weekend.

Anyone who knows Ken knows about medjet:rofl

glad to have you on board dillinger
  11. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    Read your comments, enjoyed them all. I might add to your planning list, if your not a member of AAA do so. The can issue you (for a small fee) international drivers license. Get about 4 or 5 of them (for a small fee of course). This way you will have several throw always or to give up to the local police when they stop you, and they will stop you (for a small fee of course). If the police don't get you at that stop, the feel as if they have control of your situation and will make you go to the local police station to get it back (for a small fee of course). This way you hand them the extra international driver’s license which should be in your throw away wallet and go on your merry way.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Have a blast and be safe!
    <o:p> </o:p>
    BeachGuy
  12. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    The place I went to get the IDL charged me over 20 bucks. So I just got one then went to the school's computer lab and got three very high res color prints of my driver's license. I'll use those as throw aways for crooked cops. I'm not sure what Charles plans on doing.
  13. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For copies of your driver's license, be sure to get BOTH sides copied and then laminate them. A LEO in Nicaragua challenged Bill Altland on the validity of his license because the back side was blank. Bill just gave a presentation at the D/S rally in Stevenson, WA earlier this week about doing the ride you are planning to do. He's a treasure of information. If you PM me, I'll send you his email.
  15. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    This sounds like an awesome trip. It is great that you get a long with your brother so well.

That is a good idea to split carrying things like a tent and cooking gear. Are you both on DR650s? That would be great in order to carry less spare parts.

Make sure that one of you buys a Garmin that you can have mounted to the handlebars. Smellybiker's worldmap is a must have to for the Garmin.
  16. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    Another point to ponder. Starting with Mexico and then all the way south, if you come up on a Police check point or speed trap, remember these two things.
    • If it is a normal check point that is located in the same location everyday, the police will make everybody stop for a paper check. You can’t and don’t want to ride through these unless they wave you through.
    • If it’s a roaming police trap, try to ride through single file and with a little distance between you both. Reason for this is that they will most probably only stops one of you. Be cool and just cruise through. If you both stop you will double your troubles scenario.
    If stopped, by all means be very gracious, learn the word “boleto”, this is a ticket, no not a concert ticket. If you broke some driving law or rule they should write you up and give you a boleto. If that fails and it takes money, start with a very small amount. This is money you have in your coat pocket; carry in your pocket only what you can afford to lose. Acting dumb can be an attribute. A lot of time the police are just bored and want to look at your bike (you know, dreaming of a bike ride in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1:place> to visit cousin Roberto).
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I live in the <st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> for 6 months of the year and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Costa Rica</st1:place></st1:country-region> the other 6. My wife is Latino and I’ve spent a lot of bike time in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Costa Rica</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Nicaragua</st1:place></st1:country-region>. <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Costa Rica</st1:place></st1:country-region> has radar traps, officers wear uniforms and if pushed will write a ticket, other wise its money. In <st1:country-region w:st="on">Nicaragua</st1:country-region> the new Police Chef in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Managua</st1:place></st1:City> has told all officers to write tickets and take drivers license. You need a throw away, and don’t worry. It takes weeks if not months for the paper work to hit a boarder. Other wise it also money.
    Hope that some of this is important and will help your cause. I will be leaving for <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Costa Rica</st1:country-region></st1:place> by bike Oct. 1<SUP>st</SUP>
    BeachGuy
  17. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    best of luck and best wishes for a safe journey! :thumb

:lurk
  18. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    +1 on Smellybiker's map.
  19. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    we're going sans GPS. Heresy I know but its just not our style. In other news I put the finishing touches on my luggage system today. I'll post pics shortly.
  20. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    I had been toying around with fabricating my own luggage system along the lines of what Hondo did with two army Mermite food storage containers for a while until we started planning this trip and I seriously priced luggage I could lock. At that point I decided I would go ahead and make it happen.

I ordered two Mermite cans from a surplus place in Montana that has hundreds of them (if you are interested I could probably figure out where I got them, the name escapes me at the moment). It came to around $150 with shipping. I got them around a month ago and took them over to the scene shop in the drama department at the college I work with and borrowed some tools.

The cans are aluminum with an outer shell and a liner which is encased in AB foam (nasty stuff). I used a sawsall to cut through the liners and then went to work on them with a hammer and a chisel. After I had cut and bent them enough to shrink them down a bit the liners pulled out. I was left with a 1.5-2 inch thick liner of AB foam.

The foam on the first case had no intention of being removed easily so there was a large amount left still stuck to the sides and bottom when I was fed up with trying to chisel it out. I then tried to sand it out with an electric belt sander but that didn't work either. So I gave up for the day and asked my coworkers how they would go about removing the rest of the foam. They suggested that I take to the car wash and try to pressure wash it out, which I did, and that failed miserably. Their next suggestion was to burn it out, so I went back to the shop and used his oxycetaline (sp?) torch to burn the stuff out. The fumes were awful but I had a good mask that (hopefully) filtered out some of the harmful stuff.

Sorry there are no pictures of this part of the process, but it's pretty much the same as what Hondo and others in that thread did, so if you are interested I linked it above.

Once the foam was out I had to figure out how to replace the old gasket as the cases would not shut without something to plug the gap between the lid and the case. Our first thought was to use weather stripping but it became obvious pretty fast that it wasn't going to work. The first guy I asked at the autoparts store was pretty useless, he didn't even really think about what I might try. Luckily I asked for a second opinion and the next guy suggested that I try spliting fuel line hose and fitting that to the lid and the lip on the case. That looked like it would work so I went to a Napa truck and auto parts store and got thicker hose than they had at the first store. We cut a couple of test samples and sure enough it looked like the case would close properly.

This is the finished result, with weatherstripping glue used to seal the edges:

[​IMG]

I had to bend the clips out a little bit to accomodate the added thickness of the hose.