South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Put a new clutch in this morning...

[​IMG]

She's getting there... she'll be rolling on her own power by Monday... :D
  2. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the seals completed I rode the bike over to the drama shop and the shop manager helped me cut and weld the racks. We drilled three new holes into each side of the rack and cut a piece of 2in strap to fit along the side of the rack. We then cut two 3in pieces of 1x1in tube and welded them to the strap. We then cut and welded a rectangle out of the same tube and attached it to the 3in pieces.

This is what it looked like when it was done:

[​IMG]

Next we took a piece of .25 x .75?in angle iron, cut it into 8in peices and welded flatbar to it to create channel. Then we chopped the head off some bolts, drilled holes in the channel and welded them onto the side. We drilled holes in the cases to match the channel and leveled the mounted case with the bike standing upright. I sealed the holes with the weatherstrip glue and then cut a piece of 1/8th inch plywood, drilled holes in it and then secured the 4 pieces of channel to the cases.

This is the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then mounted them and drilled holes through the top pieces of channel so that I can padlock them to the rack. This will not only secure the cases, but it will also prevent lateral movement.

Here is the bike with the cases mounted:

[​IMG]

And the rack without the cases:

[​IMG]

And finally another view of the cases:

[​IMG]

A big thanks goes out to all the guys that helped me with this project: Christian, Thos, Randy and Jason
  3. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    My final cost will be in the neighborhood of $250 once I buy the padlocks and figure out how to lock the cases closed (probably hasps and more padlocks). I didn't have to pay for the use of the shop or the guy's hours which was a HUGE bonus and one of the reasons I have (had) such a good job at the college.
  4. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went sans gps and man does it ever suck sometimes. Hopefully your Spanish is good. The gps was expensive and that was why I did not buy it but if I could do the trip over again I would have bought it in a heartbeat.
  5. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Picture of Charles' last supper in KC. He's supposed to head out in the morning with his Dad, Paul, who is sitting to his right.

[​IMG]

Good luck Charles and Joe. Hope to see you guys back all safe and sound in about 6 months (or when your money runs out).
  6. Neubz

Neubz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh god. What memories do I have of hollowing those things out. I went through the whole process to clean all the insulation out for a similar trip to TDF, mounted them to the KLR, and then thought about it for a minute.... they are flimsy as all hell. Good luck if you want to go with it, but it seemed to me that one decent tip-over would have beat them all to hell with no coming back. I ditched them. I know you guys are heading off soon, but perhaps consider swinging by a good army surplus store to see if they have any ammo cans that might do the job better. Ammo cans are cheap and solid - the only problem is finding ones that are the right size. But they are out there, you just need to get lucky. Just a suggestion. Anyway, good luck and enjoy the trip - I'll be following along.
  7. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Good Luck to you both! :thumb

Sorry I could not make the party as the SO threw her back out and we came home early.:bluduh

See you on the flip side!

:lurk
  8. onewheelwunder

onewheelwunder are we there yet?

Oddometer:
    Looks like your brothers scared of the big bad internet meanies [​IMG]
  9. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Good luck, guys. I'll be following you in a few weeks.
  10. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Two days ago I finished working on the bike, put in a new clutch, re-laced the rear wheel:
    [​IMG]

Yesterday I said goodbye to my girlfriend, Rachel :cry

[​IMG]

Then my dad and I left Kansas City for Colorado Springs, here's our route, it was actually a very scenic way to cross Kansas:

[​IMG]

Along the way we stopped at Seguin, KS. The guys at the grain elevator there were really amused to meet us "real Seguins."

[​IMG]

Most of Kansas and Colorado looked like this, although it was actually quite hilly in spots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving was really hard. Right before we left the KLR's cooling system quit working on me. By the time we got to our coffeshop for our morning coffee it was ready to overheat, so we went back home to fix it. Then I dumped the bike over in the driveway. I was distracted by the cooling problem, unaccustomed to the heavy load and just didn't choose the right spot for the kickstand. I broke the end off of my clutch lever on the way down... :baldy
    But, the clutch lever was still usable and the cooling system was an easy fix, just needed to bleed some air out... so we were on our way. I was a complete mess of nerves for the first few hours until I eventually calmed down and started to enjoy the ride... Our epic South America ride has begun.:D

11. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    Rock on! Have huge fun.

Are you bringing spare brake and clutch levers for when they break? Or at least a few vice grips, as temps?
  12. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on getting on the road! :clap
  13. ChurnDog

ChurnDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are on your way!!! Cannot wait for all the updates :D
  14. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    :clap Ride on!! :clap Have a fun, safe and unforgettable adventure...god speed to the both of you. :ricky
  15. "D"aily "R"ider 650

"D"aily "R"ider 650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i like the ammo can's!!! i was thinking of doing the same thing. looks good guys. keep the pics coming.
  16. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, we're doing a shakedown run through the mountains of Colorado today and tomorrow, thanks for all the responses, we'll post pics when we get back :deal
  17. neopodo

neopodo Wes

Oddometer:
    It looks like you will be on the road soon, which way are you planning on going down south through the Mexican border?
    I am on a very similar trip right now; I left Wisconsin about 3 weeks ago and am up in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Seattle</st1:City></st1:place>. Ready to go down the coast into Baja and south from there all the way down to the Fuego. I have a web site that I am using to tell people about the trip, I think you would get a kick out of some of the photos.
    www.neopodo.com
    Maybe we will met up some place south of here!
    Good luck

Wes
    :freaky
  18. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Well against all odds we're finally on the road. Charles and our father arrived on Tuesday evening, finding me in the midst of moving out of my apartment. I had them help me move some boxes and things and then we went out for dinner. The plan had been to leave Wednesday morning... :robin but our father needed a new rear tire and we both had some wrenching to do on the bikes (not to mention more odds and ends associated with the move). So we took the wheels off the two bikes and brought them in to have the tires mounted. I ran around doing errands (shots, turning in the modem to comcast etc :baldy) and then came back and did some other stuff that neither of us can remember :confused . I spent the rest of the night messing around with boxes and organizing stuff and generally losing my mind.

We decided on a nice scenic 300 mile route around south central CO for this morning and I got up at 7 to make sure I got the rest of the stuff out of my apartment, only to find the landlord wanted me to clean a number of things she had never mentioned before (like when I asked her what she wanted me to clean :becca ). So the cleaning wasnt done until two hours after we were supposed to leave. After some last minute errands I put some carb cleaner in the tank and suited up, all ready to go. Well that wasn't about to happen, the carb cleaner did its job right away and dislodged a big chunk of something that found its way into the main jet. :kboom Four hours later the jet was clear and by a little after 6 we were on the road to Salida.

Heres me draining the tank. Fun stuff.

[​IMG]

Down the road a bit we stopped to make sure my float bowl drain was properly tightened and Chuck took this shot

[​IMG]

We got into Salida at around 8 and called a couple of folks you might know...

:wave Duke and Tami

Hopefully we'll have some good scenic shots tomorrow.
  19. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    :drif Oh and the side cases are holding up well. I dropped the bike twice :umph :flush :grim :pierce :hack while we were working on it, and then slid the other side along the guard rail when I thought I might have lost my float bowl plug, pulled over and stopped rather quickly. No real damage to speak of.
  20. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see you got a "camping haircut." Do you both have Distanzias now? Ride safe, above all.

:lurk