South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Hi, Klay!
  2. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    The abbreviated shakedown run is over. Bikes are running well, and there doesn't appear to be any problems. We'll post a couple of pictures later tonight.
  3. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Somebody pass the butter...:lurk

Hi, Ken!:lol3
  4. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Here's some butter chica!

[​IMG]

5. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

:wave
  6. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was good to meet you guys! We'll be anxiously awaiting your <strike>emoticons</strike> posts. Take care out there, and take LOTS of pics!

:lurk :robin :flug :lift :pimp :jose
  7. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Good luck guys. Make sure you hold onto enough money for a bus ticket to the border:clap

I'll come back in 4 or 5 more pages to see if you've made Mexico yet. !Cuidado como la Teguila malo y la mujer floho! :D

I hope your taking spare rear tires on board? You can probably find one for the 250 but might be harder for the big bike. Oh, and it will cost about 30 to 40% more than in the USA, depending. Chen Seng/Kenda are still pretty cheap in Mexico. Those tires wear like Iron, slippy in rain. I fit a Kenda street tire in Durango to my KLR, couldn't wear it out! oh, speaking of rain, its just about at its peak now and will keep going for another month, mas o menos. Mas seco en los montanas.

Got a guide book? Speak good Spanish by now? :eek1
    Practice every day. Always say Buenos Dias FIRST. Be polite. Smile! :D
  8. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dear,:raabia
    Give Duke a hug for me...:loaded
  9. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Done!!!:D
  10. simongandolfi

simongandolfi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, guys, any advice from an old man is boring - of which I am reminded frequently by the last teenager in our home. However I am recently returned from a 46000K trip from Veracruz, Mexico to Tierra del Fuego, then north to New York. I rode a small bike (Honda 125) - aged 75, I am not as strong as I was and need something I can lift after a fall and I am on a small pension so gas prices and tire prices matter.
    The advice is simple. Firstly never ride at night.
    Second, ride slow - and I mean slow slow - speed limits are not to ridden up to but down from.
    Third, be prepared for the unexpected - whether a hole in the road, a sudden end to tarmac, rock falls, the road fallen down the mountain or the mountain fallen down on the road.
    Fourth, expect cars and trucks to have poor breaks and wacky steering. Fifth, expect drivers to act irrationally and ignore the rules of the road. Sixth, cuts and abrasions get infected easily - treat them thouroughly. Seventh, courtesy and patience will make borders easier. Expect officials to be helpful and they will be helpful. Expect them to be corrupt and they will act accordingly.
    Eight: Respect people and they will respect you. Remember that you are ambassadors for your country.
    Lastly, have fun.
    There you are - I already said I was boring...
    You might find something useful on my BLOG at http:/www.simongandolfi.com
  11. Pax

Pax shazam.

Oddometer:
    :clap

That is fantastic!

12. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the link is:

http://simongandolfi.com/

It's a great looking site.

Tim
  13. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses folks. It's going to be a couple days before we hit Mexico. My clutch made it apparent today that it wants new plates (slipping in 5th gear) so we'll have to see about getting a kit ordered and then take a day to install it.

I'm hoping that the high pitched noise I'm hearing from inside the right side cover (clutch side) is the clutch and not something else. I'm not quite sure how to describe it but it does sound like it could be the plates rubbing. The pitch doesn't change very much when I rev the engine, and it only gets slightly louder so I don't think it's one of the moving parts inside but what do I know? :lol3. Anyways hopefully we'll get that sorted out before we cross the border.

As far as our immediate plans go, we intend to visit Chaco Canyon, Canyon Du Chelly and possibly Acoma Pueblo before we head south to Tuscon. That will probably eat up two more days. I would post pics from yesterday and today but its late and the ride plus our host's reception tonight has me worn out. Maybe I'll get up early enough tomorrow morning to post it. Or maybe I'll make Chuck do it... :robin
  14. Mark950

Mark950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed
  15. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great information - a ton of questions already being answered!
  16. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Two days ago we finished our shakedown through the mountains of Colorado. The bikes ran well, no problems to speak of. My KLR250 doesn't like to climb hills into the wind in the altitude with a full load, but it will do it if you ring it out. I ran it at 8000 rpms for a few stretches... seems ok to do that. It doesn't run hot or burn any oil.

Here's me two days ago tightening some bolts that hold the cylinder head to the frame (almost lost one of the bolts :lol3)

[​IMG]

The next day, yesterday, we rode to New Mexico. It was a long hot ride through the mountains. Really great scenery and roads.

17. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    We left Colorado Springs and puttered down the I-25 super slab to Walsenburg. From there we headed west down 160 to Fort Garland. It was somewhere between C Springs and Walsenburg that we figured out my clutch was probably slipping and that the noise was (hopefully) from the plates rubbing together. On the other side of La Vieta Pass we caught some nice views of Blanca Peak and took a couple shots.

[​IMG]

From Fort Garland we headed south through Taos and Santa Fe and then took the Turqoise Trail to Albuquerque where we had a place to stay for the night.

On the Turqoise Trail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Albuquerque we stayed with the family of one of my friends from college. They had a delicious dinner cooking when we arrived as well as cold beer and other refreshments. After dinner the father, Dan, took us out for a van tour of Albuquerque and told us about the history of the city and showed us the sights. I took a couple of shots of the neon signs on Central Ave, which used to be Route 66. Apparently it's famous for the neon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got one or two more shots I might edit in later when Smugmug finishes roatating them. We're getting a late start today and we've got a full itinerary that doesn't really take us to Tuscon so we'll probably be camping tonight and maybe tomorrow night as well. A big thanks to Dan, Gretchen and Phil for putting us up and treating us so well, they set the hospitality bar pretty high.
  18. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Just got into Tucson this afternoon. We took the back way up Mt Lemmon which was stressful but fun and the views were spectacular. The road going down the other side wasn't too shabby either. We will probably be here for a couple days as it's become apparent that I need to change my rear shock. There is too much weight on the back (the stock shock is pretty squishy) so the support bar for my side cases has been bottoming out onto the tire. We figure it's best to fix the issue here where we have a free place to stay rather than try to deal with it someplace further down the road. We've got some good shots from the past few days, but right now I'm on a kind of crappy library computer so I'll see about uploading them and doing the write-up later.
  19. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Guys- I can vouch for Mr. Gandolfi. Or, I should say, he impressed the hell out of Barb. Check out his photos from late January: http://simongandolfi.blogspot.com/2008_01_27_archive.html. Yep- that's Barb's KLR next to the bike with the crutches.

The transcontimental moto world is so, so small. On Barb's way to find me in Panama, she met Simon. Once she found me, she could NOT stop talking about him. If you knew Barb, you'd know she's not easily impressed. Simon wonders in his blog, "Bikeress or Tigeress?" You probably get the idea.

His idea of boring is, by anyone else's standards, ADVENTURE!!! It's a great recipe.

I'll probably be in Panama and Costa Rica in January. I have no idea where you'll be by then, but if we can meet up (especially in Panama!) maybe we can share some really boring beer.
  20. Mark950

Mark950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This just gets better every post.....

Ride safe

:clap :clap