South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heres the pass. Looks the same as the other one. Except there weren´t any crosses or anything cool to shoot. And I couldn´t see the mountains towering over the pass at that point. And I didn´t have my bike to ride over it either... so its kind of a boring shot. But I was there!

[​IMG]

I walked back down to the bike and decided to ride out of the snow. Which by then was strong enough to keep my lens wet and thus ruin a bunch of shots. Well further ruin what the fog was already doing a good job of ruining. My camera doesn´t handle fog very well.

This is down the road a bit. The pass is directly behind the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I was down out of the snow I stopped to take some shots of the mountains above. After a couple of minutes a huge boom shook the whole valley. I thought it was thunder at first but then I realized it was an avalanche.

This my friends is the avalanche at full zoom.

[​IMG]

The scale is off because the picture is zoomed in too far. I assure you it was impressive.
  2. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    That's crazy riding! LOVING IT!
    :norton
  3. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yep. I was here. I have proof!

[​IMG]

The clouds were toying with me all day. Every time I came around a corner there would be a beautiful clear shot of this glacier. By the time I got my camera out and ready to shoot, it was shrouded in cloud again. :baldy

These are the two better ones I got

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It started raining harder so I packed up the camera and rode to the bottom.

[​IMG]

Another glacier that was visible from the bottom

[​IMG]

As it turns out the drop stretched my chain just far enough that it fell off four times on the way back to Caraz. I didn´t have any tools with me so I couldn´t tighten it. Its on its last legs... there are only about 6 notches left before the thing is maxed out. Should last me to Lima... if not... adventure?

4. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable! :clap

[​IMG]

What it must feel like to be up in those mountains!:eek1 :freaky
  5. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Classic report. :thumb This is good stuff- what ADV is all about. Thanks you two!
  6. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Its really amazing. I can´t really put it into words. Every morning Im praying for clearish skies so I can sneak a peak at these things. Like I said the guy at our hotel told me its clear, totally clear, every day in June/July. I think I will be coming back here at some point in the relatively near future for a week or more of hiking and exploring.
  7. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    So cool! But the guys in India are one up one you - he pushed his bike the last few hundred yards at over 17K feet!

regardless - what an adventure! :wings
  8. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    The minibus was one up on me too. They made it up and over.
  9. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Seriously, I want to nominate you guys for having the biggest huevos. 16,000 feet, in the snow, alone? While one sleeps and waits for the hostelier to bring more eggs and bacon? :clap
  10. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Who needs a nomination? :dunno
  11. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    what would it take to finish the trip? How many PayPal donations? This is a fantastic RR and I'd donate a few $$ to hear the end.
  12. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe that trip looks brilliant. :thumb You beat me to it, but Im hoping there still plenty of unexplored roads up there.

Unfortunatley this time of year is not the best for cameras, though if youre lucky you will get what I think are some of the best mountain photos. If its clear skies you get the calendar shots buts its all to idyllic. In weather you have a harder job of it, but fewer, more dramatic photees.

This time of year also makes for the most challenging riding :D . Well done brother!
  13. Mudflaps

Mudflaps Northward

Oddometer:
    Great great picture. Mountains, weather, waterfall and glacial lake all in one shot!

[​IMG]
  14. El Birdo

El Birdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW !!!! your photos are SWEET !!!!
  15. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, I just caught up with the thread. Hard to believe you're on the same trip. When I left you were in lush terrain, then I check in and find you in a moonscape, now you're dodging glaciers :eek1

Let me tell you, I'm getting quite the geography lesson!

Kevin
  16. ABY

ABY n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to enjoy more finery pics.
  17. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    I was hoping for a little bit of both, weather and idyllic. Mostly I just wanted to be able to see the whole mountain for at least a little bit. Getting to see all of Huascaran or however its spelled was amazing. Its simply gigantic.

If I were you Id come up here in June and do the two passes I did in a loop, starting early in the morning. It would be a really long grind it out day but simply amazing in terms of riding.
  18. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    So are we :wink:

At the moment I have no idea what it would take to finish the trip. I´ll have a better idea once my girlfriend is gone, in a week and a half or so. Asking for money, or even just accepting donations without asking would feel weird to me. Someone suggested that we modify the smugmug account so we can sell some pictures of the trip. I might look into that.

Anyways we aren´t making any solid plans at the moment. We´ve got an itinerary through early January and thats it, just a basic route that we may or may not take after that.

Thanks guys. Im glad I got some good stuff off through the fog. The clouds around the mountains and in the valley weren´t what was bothering me about shooting up there, it was the clouds that were forming off the valley walls. I could still see everything, but my camera couldn´t. Really annoying.
  19. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    Herein lies the problem! :huh

You can always find another girlfriend

You may never get another opportunity like this!

Seriously - do whatever it takes to finish this trip. You will never regret it and, as much as you say you can come back, once you get into the boring drone-like existence of life, work and occasional play, it may be years if ever before you get back.

Over on HUBB, they advise to setup a PayPal account to help sponsor the trip - heck, 95% of your loyal fans here will never get to do a trip like this so look at it as fulfilling a community obligation to continue and as a business opportunity - sell pics, take donations, etc.

Keep going! You'll never regret it if you do and you will always regret it if you don't.
  20. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Haha the girlfriend isn´t the problem. She´s flying into Lima on Thursday, and we´ll go to Cusco and Maccu Pichu together. The reason why I said that is it will just be a little added expense... as I plan to REALLY enjoy her visit and not be quite so cheap as I normally would be without her. She´s been nothing but supportive and wants me to do whats best for me in terms of the length of the trip. Once shes gone I will have a much better idea of where I stand financially.

My problem is that I have to figure student loan payments into my budget. I´m already making payments on one loan (well my dad has been so far... thanks dad!) and another one comes due in 4 days. The last one isn´t until sometime in March or April. So that complicates things, added non-trip related expense every month. Also I´m applying for Teach for America (again) for this coming school year. I will complete the application on the road, but I have to be back for interviews... some time in March. If I get in (which I should... I did last year) I have to find some way to support myself from when I get back until June or July. That makes finding a job a bit more complicated since I know I won´t be able to stay much longer than it takes to train me. Also with the economic crap going on its going to be harder in general to find a job.

So I need to save a bit of money as a cushion for when I get back, and for a plane ticket (cheapest I´ve found so far is 650 bucks).

Anyways all that means a large amount of uncertainty and a large amount of stress. The further I try to stretch out my money to go to places I want to see, the more stressed out I get and the less I enjoy those places. Before we decided that Ushuaia wasn´t a for sure thing, I was getting so stressed out about the future that I wasn´t enjoying what I was doing. As soon as we reevaluated things I felt much, MUCH better.

So in the end its a balancing act between what you´ve said, I will regret it if I don´t do as much as I know I can, and want to, but the longer I go the more stressed out I get and the less I enjoy things.

Not an easy decision. A boatload of cash would make things a bit easier, but like I said I´m not sure how I would feel about soliciting donations.