South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By the way...

If you are ever in Huaraz Daniel´s juice stand, Juice Business, is near the Mercado Central on the corner of Jr. Jose de la Mar and Jr. Juan De la Cruz Romero. Good cheap juice.
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Judging by the replies, I think you guys will be able to ride as far as you need to.

+1 on turning back when you want to, not when you have to because of the money-thing.

I'd surely rather not-buy another cycleworld or outside magazine for a year.

I'd also spend $10 or $20 on a photo like this one:

[​IMG]
  3. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love stories like the above. This has always been my experience in Latin America. People generally are very polite and like to help others. Especially visitors. Thanks for posting.
  4. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah thats a great shot.
  5. LaTia

LaTia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sobrinos-
    Maybe you should do the pay pal thing. You've got a lot of fans, and that way your dear family won't feel as much pressure to get you to Tierra Del Fuego:rofl :lol3 :rofl :lol3
    But seriously, I sit down almost every night, exhausted after getting the kids to bed and cleaning the disaster they leave in their wake, and just soak this up. If it's what you want to do, I hope you can continue. If you do want to wrap it up sooner, it's still been an epic journey. If you do the paypal, at least I'll know how to get your xmas present to you.....
  6. oaxatwin

oaxatwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Set PAYPAL account. I will help for more gasolina y cerveza.
  7. lefturn99

lefturn99 T-Town Geezer

Oddometer:
    I would support whatever you guys choose. But if I'm reading you right, you have come to the realization that TDF isn't a mandatory goal and if you don't reach it, your entire life will not necessarily be a failure.

From reading many RRs, the last bit before TDF is miserable, dangerous and long. There is certainly a good argument that says the time would be just as well spent exploring other areas that have "features" closer together. It just depends on your focus. Is the ride the main thing or is the experience?

I've greatly enjoyed your RR and I appreciate the hours you've spent getting it to us. Thanks
  8. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    I am loving this RR. I would probably never be able to swing what you guys are doing, so keep going. Every chance I get I tell my students that they need to travel more when the graduate. My one regret in life has been exactly what you two are doing right now. Most students can't wait to finish college for what, I ask? To spend the rest of your life working at a job you don't like? Travel...if I could do it over I would certainly travel more and see more of this beautiful rock we call Mother Earth.

Don't rush this trip. Everything can wait a little longer. You guys are making too many memories to let pride get in the way. I would much rather spend 20 or 30 bucks living through you guys than a meal and a movie. This is real. This is entertainment in its purest form for me. Do the pay-pal thing damn it and keep going for a while.
    Mike
  9. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    I've consistently enjoyed this thread albiet quietly. I'm with leftturn. You've heard all the arguements. I'll support whatever you decide. :nod
  10. svenoman

svenoman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's to wishing you guys a Merry Christmas
    :freaky
    I will toss back a few cold ones for you tonight in NJ.
  11. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas, Chuck and Joe! You're a long way from my front yard now. :nod

[​IMG]

Take your time and enjoy the trip. I don't care if you go all the way to Tierra Del Fuego or not, but if you set up a paypal, I'm in for a couple tanks of gas. :deal
  12. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to wish you two a Merry Christmas. Be safe! :thumb
  13. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Plus one on setting up a PayPal account. I'm in for a few bucks!

As far as route goes .... you have plenty of time to make Usuahia, you're good to mid March weather wise. Take your time, keep taking the off the beaten path explorations.

After Bolivia, northern Argentina will be HOT from now until March. Maybe cut over to expensive Chile and do down west coast? (Cooler) But n. Argentina is fantastic, but better seen in our Spring or Summer months (April through October)

So maybe continue down west coast of Chile, maybe cut over to Mendoza or Bariloche on your way and have a look. Then make the push to the tip.

Head back north to Buenos Aires for a well deserved "vacation" from the trip. :D

Best travels. :bubba :slurp
  14. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas! Continue on to TDF. This may be your only chance, as when you get back, careers, life, etc. may keep you from trying again until you are in your 50's.

Good luck!
  15. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Open a pay-pal account. I will contribute as well.
    And it will be my pleasure.
    Lion
  16. markit

markit West Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    You are going to have a great time in Machu Pichu - Too bad you just missed the big summer solstice celebration.

If you need a place to stay in Lima I maintain an apartment in the Surrco area for use when I visit on business.

You can easily have your Dad set up a Paypal and link it to your bank account so you can withdraw at an ATM anywhere. You should do it. IN the name of the economy you should do it. You are helping support an entire adventure motorcycle industry that depends on selling to a bunch of riders who would like to be there but can't. Lot's of people are living their lives through your ride reports.
  17. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    setup the paypal, some of us would like to help (it makes us feel good:D )
    Now you wouldn't want us to feel bad would you?
  18. mwzl

mwzl mwzl

Oddometer:
    +1 on a Paypal account

This thread is great entertainment, and shouldn't end for lack of funding.
  19. max2

max2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas guys. Great job on ride report, I look forward to reading daily. Its kinda like virtual motorcycle therapy.
  20. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    right now i wish i were you. what a wonderful thing you're doing, we're all so very thankful for sharing it with us.

i agree, paypal or bust, i'm in.

happy holidays to the both of you