South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ReBoot

ReBoot Lurker

Oddometer:
    not the destination.

Doesn't matter where you end up!
    Ride Safe, and keep this great report going!

Thanks again for bringing us along.:thumb
  2. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great responses guys. What was said above is pretty much how we see things. I´m really excited for the El Calafate area, especially Mount Fitzroy, I´ve been thinking about that shot from I think its Worldrider´s thread with the bike in front of the mountain for months now... waiting until I´d see it myself.

I am, however, not excited about getting there. At least not today. Today was like crossing the great plains in the middle of a summer heatwave. Long straight roads for hundreds and hundreds of kilometers in temperatures ranging between 90 and 100... maybe hotter who knows. I know there are folks out there that actually like crossing the Great Plains... but I don´t count myself as one of them... perhaps I´ve been across them too many times, or perhaps I don´t know the right way to go about it.

What I do know is that it was a grind it out, count every kilometer in your head sing nonsense to yourself to pass the time kind of day.

Tomorrow should be better, but I think we´ll have at least two more days like today on the way down. If not more. To be honest I´m more than a bit road weary, which makes these days even harder. I know the pay off will be great, but I just have to get there.

I took a couple pictures today, but there really wasn´t much variation in the scenery. I will post them tomorrow or the next day. Need to get some food and figure out our route for tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the support folks.

:robin
  3. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    What, road wear after just a measly 10,000 plus miles? What gives?
    :evil :wink: :evil :wink: :evil :wink: :evil
  4. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    About 16000 miles at the moment :gdog.

Glad to hear it. I remember trying to discourage you from going past Guatemala. Too many borders in CA.

Nothing like what you experienced. I would say maybe 40 minimum, it was cold, but nothing like that. Although I did see frost at one point...

Good point. To all of you who have posted to this effect we thank you for all the support. Glad to have you with us. :thumb
  5. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:

:thumb I´m not sure how to reply to this one, but thank you, we really appreciate it.

Well, I´m too hungry and tired to respond to more comments. Thanks everyone.

-Charles
  6. LaTia

LaTia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to send you 'phews some xmas cash, but how does it work? Do I go to the 'paypal" site and take it from there? If I click your posted link, it just sends you an email. I'm sure you'd prefer the cash.

P.S. Are you getting burnt out from stunning scenery? It just doesn't quit, does it?
  7. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI.....you must go to paypal, click on "send money", the paypal account (to be credited) must appear the same as the address that appears when the mail link comes up, ie. you must use the underline BETWEEN the two names.

Hopefully the money won't run out. Great RR.
  8. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Its been on vivid for most of the trip. Sonys are supposed to have really good color saturation, but with mine Im typically disappointed with it, even on vivid. I think I need a newer model.
  9. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    We had a 7am wake up call today... that actually came. We didnt get up though because we were both exhausted after being up past 11 the night before. It isnt totally dark here until after 10 so our schedule has changed quite a bit.

We were going to ride a bit west and then head south through a valley below Aconcagua and some other tall mountains, but we talked to a guy last night who said there were over 1000 curves in under 100kms on that road, and then a long patch of gravel. It looked like it would take us half the day just to get to Mendoza, which was only 160km south of where we were on Ruta 40. So we decided we´ve seen enough mountains for the time being (we will see more tomorrow and the next day) and pointed the bikes south.

It was cloudy over the mountains this morning anyways so we probably didn´t miss much. It was also a lot cooler, between 20 and 30 degrees cooler and oh what a difference that made. Riding went from tedious and boring to just boring. We spent the majority of the day today in the Pampas... the massive and massively flat grasslands that make up the majority of the Argentinian mainland. Good for cattle... bad for scenic views and twisty roads.

We´re staying the night in Santa Isabel (I think?) which is a little town of not more than 1k people in the middle of the Pampas. The hotel we´re staying at is run by a very nice couple who were very welcoming and even helped us out with our route tomorrow and the next couple of days. Im excited for the lakes district, and much happier now that I´ve experienced a bit of country hospitality after the relatively cold disconnectedness of the cities. I think I will come to really like small town Argentina.

I would post pics but the internet here is really slow. Sorry... tomorrow I hope.

PS- thanks again for all the donations folks. I´m running pretty much entirely on donated money at the moment... so everything we are seeing and doing is thanks to the generosity of the ADV community. I think that is pretty cool.
  10. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, hasn't been above zero here in 66 hours. Oh well only -18 tonight(windchill much worse:cry) so things are looking up. I won't mind being "bored" on a ride right now.:evil Your ride is Pretty Cool:clap

11. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola Amigos, I am in Palenque. Left our hometown on Jan. 6th. You can find the beginnings of my ride report I started today at the following:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949

Your photos keep getting better and better, love the lunar landscapes. I will start to include photos as soon as I get organized. Saludos, Eduardo
  12. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    First let me share my reactions to your decision, but please read to the end before you flame me!

My first reaction to reading you weren't going to Ushuaia surprised me. I was sorely disappointed. Further, I even got upset enough to say, fine, I won't send any money. But as I read your honest sharing of reasons, I realized I was missing something. I think we've become soooo goal oriented in our society that we no longer can value something short of weighing it against our often ill concieved goals. How could I be disappointed after all the amazing places you've taken us? How had you let me down? I know it's almost cliche--but we still often don't grasp it's about the journey, not the destination. (Forget the egotism of who are WE to tell YOU where to ride.) The journey was already epic months ago, and I was lucky you took me along. You've entertained me, you've shown me amazing beauty, and you've opened my mind to new people and places.

So, Brothers Sequin, once again you've taught ME another lesson by your journey. Donation sent, follow your hearts and ride on!
    :clap
  13. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Makes the weather we had in Colorado seem like Florida, doesn't it?:lol3
  14. NJ650

NJ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't believe I did it. I've read through the whole report. WOW, was that good! And it's not over yet.:clap I almost feel like I visited the places you've taken me to. Thanks!:thumb

Your report will certainly help remove some of the fear people have about traveling south of the US.

I found your report while reading Sgt Marty's report. The only other RRs I've had a chance to read in about 2 weeks have been those that are tied into your report. I really enjoy how people's paths are crossing.

Hope you continue to have a terrific trip!

15. Nina

Nina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just WOW!! Shrouded in clouds when we drove by, so thanks for this :clap We had a little tumble in Bolivia and so need to get the bike welded in Santiago (hopefully today/tomorrow) and then we'll be on our way South again. (Don't suppose there is any more altitude to slow Chuck down? ;-)
  16. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Not an old geezer yet, but +1 to Nata Harli's wise words :D

Keep riding!
  17. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    I suggest you seriously consider visiting Torres del Paine N.P.
    Deffinetly a VERY BIG BANG.

Ride on!
  18. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    No altitude, just crazy wind. The past three days of riding were sooo boring. And today the wind picked up like mad, who knows how fast and blowing in exactly the wrong direction. I was so sick of riding already that the wind just pushed me over the edge :baldy. I started screaming into my helmet. When that didn`t work I started punching my left side mirror until it broke. When that didn`t work I pulled over, removed what was left of the mirror, and smashed it to pieces in the road. That pretty much did the trick and I calmed down for the rest of the ride. Sometimes you just have to break something. It happens a lot less these days than it used to. Now I`m short a mirror but I`m pretty sure it was worth it :lol3.
  19. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    That`s good to know. There is a lot fear out there about heading south. The funny thing is that people down here think that the States are really dangerous.

Thanks for that, I must say I haven`t the foggiest idea why anyone would want to push on to Ushuaia after experiencing the wind today :lol2. But seriously a lot of people have genuinely enjoyed going to Ushuaia and that`s great for them. It must be something to be really on the bottom of the world. But, just being in Argentina is far enough from home for me, and we should be able to see some penguins anyhow :deal.

Just so you know, I was one of the jerks who rides their bicycle around Minneapolis in that kind of weather.
  20. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    After a while stunning scenery does cease to amaze. It does still make the ride more pleasant though.