South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This one uploaded a little late, another one of Charles on the pavement today:

[​IMG]

More scenery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the bottom of one of the hills we came upon an arroyo that was totally washed out with the high waters. In the middle of the water was a big dodge truck and a bunch of locals, it was stuck. So we took our gear off and helped them push it out and back onto the road. I have to say the Alpinestars touring boots we have performed marvelously, they were halfway submerged for at least 5 minutes and my feet were completely dry. Anyways after we helped move the truck we crossed ourselves. Here are some pics of that.

[​IMG]

The truck we moved is on the left. This was my first significantly large water crossing. It went pretty well, I guess I learned how to keep bikes up in gravel and other stuff tearing around on bikes on the gravel roads where we grew up.

Here is Charles

[​IMG]

Heres both of us on the other side.

[​IMG]

So rather than go all the way to Copper Canyon without our stuff, and pay for two hotels the same night we turned around and headed back to El Fuerte. The pool sure was nice when we got back. Tomorrow we head for Culiacan.
  2. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    :wave Guys!

It looks like you are having a great time so far! I'm enjoying following along!!

:lurk
  3. PabloSeguin

PabloSeguin Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Hey Tami,

Yup, were having a great time so far. Were in Culiacan tonight staying with a friend of Joes. The traffic around here is crazy but we´re getting the hang of it. :jose:strum:robin:jive:thumbup:bmwrider:velvt:jose

-Charles
  5. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    mom's watchin' :eyes

love you guys, C
  6. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    Minnesota connection:clap. keep er coming. Wonderful start...
  7. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is going to be a great one Greg. The resourcefulness between the two brothers seems to be very high.
  8. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Hi, Greg & Elizabeth,

Maybe if Charles and Joe get back by next summer they can come to SALARR and swap war stories with us.

Joe was the one who lives in Colorado and previously lived in the Twin Cities who was supposed to come to FALARR but couldn't make it because of something like "work".
  9. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Yeah I had to do something called "working" to make "money" for this "trip" thingy Im on. I tried to see if people would just let me do it for free, but they wouldn't. People are so mean sometimes. :robin
  10. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    We´ve arrived in San Blas after a rather crappy night last night just north of here. Rain at the end of the day is no fun. Hopefully we´ll be able to do an update tonight, but for now we´re off to find a cheap hotel and hit the beach.
  11. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Yup, I lived in Northeast Minneapolis for 4 years. Before that we both lived in Northfield MN.
  12. matixslp

matixslp n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey dude!!!!!
    I live near Buenos Aires (argentina's capital city), let me know if you are near my home. I live with my parents and have a little house, but I'll help you get some nice place or ask my friends in order to get some cool place for you to live a few days.
    As you know always is a good idea know someone who speak your own language (though I don't speak so well you'll understand me! jejeje).
    I know the norther and shourter part of argentina well so you can ask whatever you want!
    My msn is matixs at hotmail dot com
    C-ya!!!
    tute.-
  13. JJMSP

JJMSP Cervicalgia

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

More :eyes watching you from Minneapolis, MN. My friend Paul did Tierra Del Fuego from MSP about 15 tears ago. I look forward to your trip and the pics to see how the world has changed south of the Equator.

Ride save and bring it on ....
  14. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Hey Matixslp,

We'll be in touch as we get closer to Argentina. Thanks for the offer. It's always more interesting going to a place when you know someone local.

Thanks again. :thumb

Glad to have you on board JJ
  15. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Gah I had an entire post typed up and then IE shit the bed and I lost everything.

We left El Fuerte in the middle of the morning after I had some tacos and coke for breakfast (when in Rome...) and Chuck had his cafe. The road to Culiacan was more of the same. A vast coastal plane with mountains to the East and some coastal mountains/hills to the west. Yet again it was very hot and humid, I think Charles was melting. We got to Culiacan in the middle of the afternoon and my friend Carlos met us at a farmacy and directed us to his house. We spent the remainder of the afternoon chatting and getting settled. That evening Carlos took us to a chain restaurant where we had the best food we´ve had since we entered Mexico. It was very good. We were both worn out from the heat so we didnt do a whole lot the rest of the night.

On Monday Carlos drove us around the city so we could take care of some errands we had and then we got some pollo asado which was very good as well. Later that night we went out to a bar to watch Monday Night Football. Carlos is a bad Mexican (like we´re bad Minnesotans) because he likes American football more than soccer. The bar was pretty weird... it was called Wings Army and had an American Military theme. We left before the game was over because they started blasting really loud really shitty music. We paid less than 10 bucks for 4 beers, some fries, and a coke. For dinner we went to a place that sells multiple baked potatos on a plate with all sorts of meat cheese and other things on top. Again very good food. Carlos knows where to eat. We went back to the house and stayed there for the rest of the night, but Carlos went out again because it was the celebration of Mexican Independence from Spain. We arent big party people so we didnt go out.
  16. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    He we are outside Carlos´ house

[​IMG]

And here is a shot of the city from Carlos´ place

[​IMG]

Thats not altered in anyway, the light was pretty odd that night.
  17. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    This is another shot from that night. For some reason it shows up all weird on my smugmug... looks fine here though

[​IMG]
  18. Beerslayer

Beerslayer Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer:
    That pollo asada sounds good right now!

I have had browsers crash so many times when sending emails and doing ride reports, now I do all the writing in notepad. On any Windows computer just click Start, Run, and type in notepad.exe then click OK and it will fire up.

Do your writing and then copy and paste it into the web browser. No more lost writing!

Good luck on your trip.
  19. PabloSeguin

PabloSeguin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys are doing well. Good to see it. I'm going to try and get a little ride in Friday to Rockford. Before the snow fllies here on the tundra.

Pops
  20. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    We left Carlos´ place late yesterday morning. Most of the ride to Mazatlan was in the rain, there was one point where it was raining so hard we had to wait it out. By the time we got to Mazatlan we were soaked but it was sunny so things were looking up. We ate some food outside the city and continued down the road. As the sun was setting we rode into more rain and started to get wet all over again. It was the type of ride that seems to happen all too often, once you finally get dry and are thinking "hey that wasnt so bad", you get soaked again and realize that yes, it was that bad, and its about to get worse. With the sun down and the rain coming down as hard as ever it was clear we needed to stop. So we asked for directions at a Pemex and stopped at the first place we saw.

It was a real shithole, but they knew they had us right where they wanted us and charged us thirty dollars for the night. Relatively cheap by US standards but thats a fairly decent hotel rate normally down here. We were too wet and tired to argue or look for something else. Once we got settled we realized that the walls were covered in mold and the bathroom was worse. In addition to that the AC unit hardly worked. So we bitched about it a little while hanging up our gear and got dinner. That dinner was the only highlight of the night (other than the sunset I guess).