South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ahoraquemister

ahoraquemister Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That´s what we thought before, we know better now.
  2. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    For anyone new riding in Argentina make sure to keep your guard up for theft/robbery. People say that Argentina is safer then other Latin American countries and it is to an extent, but just as much petty theft goes on in Argentina as Peru/Bolivia. They have the same poverty issues.
  3. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Going to UNC Chapel Hill for graduate school in the fall.
  4. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Thanks brothers for a great adventure and for letting all of us tag along. This one will go down as an all time favorite RR for me. Good luck with the rest of your lives. Thanks again,
    Mike
  5. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    I just ran across this blog about restaurants in BA. Thought it might interest you if you're still there.

http://www.taxigourmet.com/
  6. RockiesTwin

RockiesTwin Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Oddometer:
    Well Done Gents! I've throughly enjoyed checking in and reading along on your trip. Threads like this are the things that create dreams, help relive them, and act as proof that we're all really in this thing together :thumb
  7. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Thanks for coming along.

Joe is on his way to the airport now. Tomorrow afternoon I am meeting a guy who is going to buy the bike for $400, then the next day I am back to Wichita. It`s illegal to import used bikes here, so I may have a warrant out if I return in the future. Joe`s import papers listed him as an Afghani, and only got one of his last names... Collison, so he should be just fine :lol3

I guess one of these days I`ll get around to posting some final, or provisionally final, thoughts. Probably when I get sick of looking for a job.
  8. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Just getting started reading this, but sounds like an adventure !!
  9. El Birdo

El Birdo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :cry Wow................I can't believe it's over. :cry What am I going to do now.:huh

Thanks again.
  10. SAR Medic

SAR Medic Not to cold to Ride

Oddometer:
    Well Done Guys! I enjoyed the ride. Thanks for taking us along.
  11. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well this is the last post I will make on this thread from an internet cafe. Thank God. I uploaded the last batch of pics earlier this afternoon and they all looked slightly out of focus because the monitor at that cafe sucks. This monitor is actually decent (better be for five dollars per hour) so now I can see that the focus is just fine. I really miss my Sony extrabright!

Anyways here are the last of the pics

Penguins

[​IMG]

This is the only interesting shot I took on the ride to Buenos Aires. The rest was dull, flat, hot and boring.

[​IMG]

Apparently they hit something while driving and the car just burst into flames. The owners were standing there watching their relatively new car burn to ashes. I hope insurance here covers that. We didn't even see a fire truck coming the other way as we passed. Just a Chevy billboard claiming that Chevy was always with you... fire or not.

The rest of these are from Buenos Aires

This is a park south of our hotel. Cool old trees and some statues but nothing else of note.

[​IMG]

They've got these all over the city. Fidel was the coolest one I saw.

[​IMG]

This is the Casa Rosada... the former Presidential Palace. The balcony in the middle of the building is where Juan and Evita Peron used to rile up the masses of descamisados (shirtless one) as they liked to call the biggest part of their support base. I kinda figured the Plaza de Mayo would be bigger given the size of some of the rallies there.

Every Sunday a mile or so of Calle Defensa (right outside our hotel) and the plaza Dorrego turn into an antique and craft fair. This attracts hordes of people and lots of street performers. This guy had some ball he was rolling around acrobatically across his body... Id seen this before so I wasn't that impressed. The first time was at a midnight showing of one of the Lord of the Rings films and one of the super nerds who had dressed up for the event got up in front of everyone and asked if we wanted to see his magic ball. Despite a general ambivalence from the audience he showed us anyways.

[​IMG]

When I walked by the first time this was a sextet or some such playing Tango music. They were pretty good.

[​IMG]

Lots of Flamenco guitar

[​IMG]

Buenos Aires looks more European than it does Latin American

[​IMG]

The building on the right is actually the cathedral.

[​IMG]

The union movement was massively powerful in Argentina for a long time. In fact it is largely responsible for the policies of Import Substitution Industrialization (an economic policy designed to favor native industry over foreign imports through protectionism and high tariffs) the vestiges of which prevented us from legally selling our imported used bikes in the country.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More street performers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo are a group of mothers who had family members disappeared during the Dirty War. They protest regularly on the Plaza de Mayo... we didn't see them though.

[​IMG]

13. milk budda

milk budda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys I have enjoyed every post and picture. I drink to you:slurp
    Thanks again.
  14. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    If you are an Argentine customs official please stop reading here.

Just sold the bike. The guy who said he was going to be here at 2pm, showed up at 7 am, I was awoken by the Señora knocking at my door saying some chico was here to see me.

The notes look real, so looks like it`s off my hands. I sold it for 1200 pesos, a little less than $400. A bike like that should go for maybe 5000 pesos or more if it was legal. But as Joe pointed out earlier, they have some rather interesting ideas here about what makes an economy work.

Standard economics tells us that this is not Pareto efficient. That is to say that all parties could be made better off, without hurting any party. I could sell for more, the guy could get the bike for less (after you include the problems with getting the fake papers) and the state could take in a little by way of taxes. Instead, the state gets nothing, and the bike is a lot less useful.

15. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:

You`ll have to do your own now :deal

Thanks for coming with.

16. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Ouch!

But then you wouldn't have such a good story to tell. AND this is payback for having completed a most amazing trip!!!
  17. FTS

FTS Flatlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting all the work into posting - I can imagine it's no small feat - while I don't post much, I do spend a lot of time in ride reports, and this thread has been a source of inspiration and enjoyment for a long time! :freaky So cheers, congrats on making it safe and sound, and thanks again for taking us on the journey!
  18. alergia

alergia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe, Charles: Thanks for all the pictures and reports.
    I can`t believe the trip is over. Congratulations!!
    See you some day In the States.
    Andres
  19. boliviasi

boliviasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the amazing report!!
  20. Oaxacuzano

Oaxacuzano Dromo maniac

Oddometer:
    Thank you for share your amazing travel. FELICIDADES