South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I thought it still was the presidential palace.

It depends on what is your view of South America. Buenos Aires IS Latin America. Like Rio de Janeiro is as well.

My knowledge of History is doubtful, but if I remember correctly, Peron was the most important politician of the populist style in Argentina. During that period it took place a vast nationalization of several companies, and the strengthening of the unions. Both policies ultimately lead Argentina to lose ground on the world economy. And those policies also were the ones that perhaps incited or provided the grounds for the rise of the Military government and dictatorship and eventually the "dirty war" as you mentioned on the picture of the Madres de Mayo.

Back to Peron, you may have heard of Eva Peron and Isabel (or Isabelita) Peron. One was the lover the other the wife? Not sure about this. But one of the actually became president of Argentina at some point. The other was a Tango dancer?

Hopefully we would have an Argentinian in this forum that could help out with a history lesson.

Thanks for the pictures and your perspectives of South America Seguin bros..

Lion
  2. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made it safe and sound to Colorado. Not sure if I will be getting any of that culture shock business... so far so good. Weather shock on the other hand... its cold here! The snow is a nice change of pace however.
  3. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    I was told the Presidenta doesn't live in the Casa Rosada anymore... just works there. But who knows...

As far as the Perons go, Eva was the first wife who died from Cancer during Peron's second term. He was overthrown and exiled after her death, and in the mean time married Isabel (the tango dancer... Evita was an actress) and then returned to Argentina to serve another term as President in the 70s. He died and Isabel was the VP so she became president.

You're right about the populism thing, but Argentina's economic decline is a lot more nuanced than most people seem to think. Its easier to just blame Peron.
  4. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarifications.
    Lion

5. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once again...just an incredible and truly enjoyable RR, with a little education thrown in for good measure. Thanks so much for taking the time.

I did something similar when I was about you guys age...the experiences and memories will be with you always, and will influence the way you feel about both your own country and other cultures. Travel is truly the best education, and digital photography, computers, and the internet are a huge enhancement to the whole experience.

Thanks again for taking the time and for taking so many of us along with you. Great job:deal
  6. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Welcome home! :thumb
  7. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    It was quiet here all night... for the first time in 5 months. I was awake for a bit just enjoying the silence. It was sublime.
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Penguins!!! :clap
  9. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was supposed to bring some penguin jerky home, but they wouldn`t let me get close enough to grab one of them.
  10. verboten1

verboten1 nein

Oddometer:
    1 full work week was used to read this to treat my illness.
    I am sick of not being able to ride my bike!!!! it's just too darned cold here.

Awesome trip guys, and amazing report!
  11. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    finished it today... the efforts you put into posting were more than i think i could ever be capable of. So ... Thanks!:beer
  12. Neubz

Neubz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't believe the freakin' merimite cans made it...

Great job guys. Excellent report. I guess I will have to go buy a book now or something to give myself something to do...
  13. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you back in Kansas yet? Too bad you had to ditch the bike.

[​IMG]
  14. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    One of the biggest benefits of long term travel is that it gives you a lot of time and distance to reflect on your daily routine back home. It's really easy to envision all of the changes you would like to make to live healthier and happier, but when you get home and actually try to break that routine it's never as easy as you might think.

When I left I was hoping that the length of the trip would make it easier to change some things when I got home. After just two days here I know that is not the case. I'm already slipping into old habits.

My diet changed dramatically on the trip... obviously in terms of what I was eating, but also in terms of how much I was eating. I've always known that American portions are ridiculously huge, but I never thought of myself as eating too much. I ate until I was full... that was that. However on the trip I was typically eating half as much food daily and sometimes even less. I lost a ton of weight... probably close to twenty pounds even though I was certainly less active than when I was trying to lose weight at home running 3 miles every day.

Now that I'm back home the temptation to over eat and eat too fast is just as strong as it ever was. Leaving food on a plate at a restaurant is hard... especially when its good. So when Courtney and I go out now we've started to split dishes. Not only does it mean we're eating more realistic portions, it saves a lot of money as well. I need to rethink all my portioning when I cook. Last night I made some pasta sauce with ravilolis, I intentionally made one half as much as I normally would and was thinking we'd both be hungry afterwards. Of course it was more than enough and we were both full.

I've also resolved to spend a lot less time indoors, specifically on the computer. Once I finish this post Im going to drag myself to the gym (on the bicycle despite the fact its freezing out) and get some exercise. Again I figured it would be really easy to get back into some sort of exercise routine, but now that I'm back I'm feeling pretty indifferent about the whole thing. Part of me knew this would be the case when I got back, but I was still optimistic about somehow magically having more energy and enthusiasm for things like this.

Those are just two examples... I won't bore you with more. The point, I guess, is that travel is great for introspection... figuring out what you want to do with your life, what you have to be thankful for and what you want to change. But it won't change the patterns you've gotten yourself into when you get back home. It's not a magic cure-all. It's a long slow process to change those things, and it takes a lot of energy and dedication, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.
  15. rmi03

rmi03 Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer:
    Being introspective after a life-altering trip like that is a great way to reflect and bring closure. After hiking the Appalachian Trail, my wife and I had great insight into our lives and worked on living the changes we wanted to see (in our lives and in the world).

My hat's off to you for such an amazing trip and a spectacular ride report....One of the best I have ever seen! You have accomplished something that most are afraid to even dream about.

Ryan

16. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    I'm so impressed, Guys.

I started reading your thread as you prepared. I was in a windowless office in a windowless building at the South Pole in the dark of austral winter. Your goals, enthusiasm, and descriptions fueled me and solidified my resolve to embark on my own Central American journey.

I've bought a 2009 KLR650 and am farkling it out. Of course, right now I am ice-encrusted in the DC Metro area, visiting friends after having been gone so long.

I'd love to get together in CO sometime, Joe! I'll ride down to the Springs sometime when it is agreeable. You can also message me here or at mike-at-{myADVusername}.com. I'd really like your input on parts and preparation now that you're fresh from your epic ride.

I echo the thanks of many others above me on this thread. Your (plural) trip was cathartic and helpful for so many people. You've set the bar to a new level for others to reach. Glad you're both back safe. I'll admit that I never expected to see your little wheezer bikes to fare half as well as they did. :lol3
  17. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Back in Wichita.
  18. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks you thank you thank you!
    Ok, you guys are home and Nina and Trevor are home, or going there,
    JL is in SF, Banamaman is somewhere up in the frozen north...etc etc...
    Now what am I supposed to read?

Thanks so much guys, appreciate all your hard work posting.
    Take care and when's your next trip? :D
    Mary aka Krashdragon
  19. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  20. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    Good job!