South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. joncus

joncus joncus

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report guys, Ive enjoyed reading it all the way.
  2. twiisted71

twiisted71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think its great that two members of the same family did this trip together as opposed to people who are friends only. Can you picture the conversations 50 yrs from now at holiday get togethers for these guys?? One will be saying how much he liked something/somewhere and the other will be looking at him in disbelief:huh , saying dont' you remember how bad the xyz was? No one will believe you actually did the trip together!......Till you pull up this freshly minted epic for them.
  3. OyVey

OyVey Coin Slot Afficionado

Oddometer:
    Having only completed my own 28 day odyssey traversing Route 66 from Toronto to the Santa Monica Pier and back with my best riding buddy some 2.5 years ago, I can can relate in some trivial fashion to your experience. Not having a strict timetable and traversing the many of the back roads has only whetted my appetite for more.

I can understand how wonderful the familiar places and faces of home truly are but the expansion of one's horizons is worth that "cost".

You both have my profound admiration for your riding skills, your tenacity and your willingness to learn the language and integrate yourself into the culture in some modest fashion. You are indeed fortunate to have shared this experience while you had the stamina and the freedom and most of all, the time. It is said that a rich man has money, a wealthy man has time.
  4. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Charles, got your phone message and left you one.

But, how are you planning on getting to KC? It's a hell of a long bicycle ride! :lol3
  5. protondecay123

protondecay123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ONE HELL OF A RIDE!:super
  6. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola Joe and Charley, Congrats on an incredible ride, and the wonderful job you both did on the photos and journal. You´re a very hard act to follow. Now, if your like me after a long trip, have already started to think of where next. You´ll have to think hard to match this trip.

I´m in my village cerca the Rio Dulce Guatemala. I´ll probably be here a few more weeks, but am planning a trip down to El Salvador. I would appreciate any tips on places to see, things to do, route, etc. from anyone who can help.

Saludos amigos, Eduardo
  7. Master prune

Master prune G-S'tacy

Oddometer:
    I am 64 pages back and really loving this gold mine I've run into:clap . You guys are amazing and I'm so glad I'm not caught up because waiting sucks.:ddog Your pictures are great and I'm not getting squat done at work:jkam . I have no clue where you are or how yall are doing right now but I'm enjoying finding out. This is my dreamtrip, someday. Thanks.
  8. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Hola Ed,

Take the Ruta Flores down to the coast and then take the coast road, you won't regret it. From their go up into the mountains to Alegria, it's a tiny little town, but there is a nice and cheap place to stay right by the square. El Salvador was a great country.
  9. tommo2

tommo2 Michiganee

Oddometer:
    West Michigan motobarn/Condor Machining Goleta
    Read the report through & enjoyed. Thanks for the honest reflections on your travels and for the general & specific info on the countries.

Quote: "Well, I tried (not very hard) to figure out who wrote the original via google and it seems Nadine Stair may have the original claim. It`s not clear to me whether Borges copied it, or it was just falsely attributed to him."

On Jorge Luis Borges, I doubt that he wrote the verses quoted in your report. Borges is one of the greats of Latin American literature, a stylist in both prose and verse & was considered in his lifetime for the Nobel prize in literature several times.

Thanks again, for writing is very difficult work.

--tom owens
    shelby, mi
  10. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Charles made it over to KC a couple of weekends ago to enjoy our sunshiny, warm weather and to get his Jack's Stack BBQ fix.

He stopped at LatteLand first to soak up the sun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on to Jack's Stack to get some finger lickin' BBQ. You can tell he definitely does not enjoy BBQ! :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome home Charles! But, it's a long way from the Twin Cities to Jack's Stack, isn't it? But, I think there's quite a few good BBQ places in North Carolina!
  11. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    I may be mistaken, but that has the look of a "I can't believe I'm back" stare, or at least you're thinking of some sublime experience in S. America.
  12. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    It had to do with him talking about how much better looking the girls are in Kansas City than anything he saw in Latin America. :eek1

NOT!
    :lol3
  13. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Wish I had known he was coming in I would have made the trip up to say Hey.
  14. girlfargo

girlfargo n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's a "before" picture for comparison.:D

[​IMG]
  15. afmracer

afmracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR .. got goosebumps there at the end reading the post-ride write ups.
  16. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Those are the same shoes he wore to BBQ at Jack's Stack!:lol3
  17. Katsumoto

Katsumoto Adventurer

Oddometer:

The thousand-yard stare. A marine gets it after he's been in the shit for too long. It's like ... it's like you've really seen beyond. I got it. All field marines got it. And you'll have it too....
  18. Chet Punisher

Chet Punisher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Brothers,
    I'm a new member on this site and just spent about 4 days reading your thread. I have to say it was a great read. All of it. I have a couple questions if you don't mind..

1. I read how one of the bikes got sold, but what happened to the other one?

2. Can you expand on why Columbia was the Favorite? I would love to visit Columbia on a vacation.

Thanks again for sharing everything.

Peace,
    Chad
  19. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke █║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer:
    Phenomenal writing guys. Looks like you've inspired a lot of people!
  20. wibornz

wibornz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for allowing me to live through your ride. I posted back at the start so that I could follow this post and so this is my first real post on this thread.

This is something that I would have loved to do in my youth, but the love of a girl, job, marriage, kids got in the way. So we jump ahead almost twenty years. Yes twenty years, and I have the wife riding and only a couple more years before the youngest kid will be 18 and hey we can plan a trip like the one you just took. The wife will start motorcycle camping this year with me and we both are on board for a big adventure. We know that there will be hardship and kinda look forward to it in a way. 20 years of easy living, it's time to shake it up a bit. While we will not be able to get way from our jobs for six months, six weeks is doable. Maybe to columbia and back.

Make no mistake though, you boys have change your life and have influnanced many others to do the same. Thanks for planting a seed that I will now have to allow to grow.