South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a shot of our lovely abode.

[​IMG]

The view out the back wasnt bad if you looked past the building

[​IMG]

Here is the junkyard I mean front yard

[​IMG]
  2. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    We got out of there as quickly as we could this morning and since the weather was good we headed towards San Blas. The differences between the two days could not have been more stark. The weather was wonderful, clear and not nearly as hot as it has been. The road to San Blas was a pleasure to ride and we got a really nice room at a place in town for a really good rate. We had lunch on the plaza and then headed down to the beach for a dip and some reading. We also ate dinner on the plaza where they were having some sort of party and political rally. I think they just had an election here because whoever won was giving a speech about his administration. Big crowds and a really loud band after the speech, which I could tell sucked pretty bad. After dinner we went back to the beach and watched the sun set. Good times.
  3. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Here are our digs for the evening, MUCH better than last night even without AC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These ladies were having more fun than I think I ever have riding. Snapped this shot real quick like so thats why its not centered. I still like it.

[​IMG]

This shot is for our Grandmother. She told me a story one time about living in San Blas and how the kids wanted to eat something like what they were used to in the States so they went to McDonalds restaurant, only to find that it wasn´t the McDonalds they thought it was. I was looking for it when we got into town on the off chance that it would still be around and then out of the blue Charles says hey look they have McDonalds, and there it was.

Charles is hungry for McyDees

[​IMG]
  4. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Here are some shots from the beach today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    WOW that mold looks great! :huh
    Hell it made me sneeze from here!!!:lol3
  6. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    More beach shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    The bathroom was worse. There are few things I like more than a hot shower and dry clothes after a days ride in the rain, but that bathroom was so nasty I only went in there if I HAD to.
  8. Bajarider2000

Bajarider2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer. You were in Mazatlan and didn't look for the Striking Viking? $5 lap dances! :freaky:sweeti:viking:bmwrider
  9. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Striking Viking was out of town...
  10. Bajarider2000

Oddometer:
    Maybe on the way North! :freaky
  11. JJMSP

JJMSP Cervicalgia

Oddometer:
  12. onewheelwunder

onewheelwunder are we there yet?

Oddometer:
  13. yeroc40

yeroc40 Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    What works best for posting long reports from the road while using questionable connections and computers- type a bit, then hit "submit reply," then go back and edit, and regularly submit. Submit/edit/submit/edit, until you're done. Or just hit submit, then do a new reply.
  15. Bajarider2000

Oddometer:
    Or, if you have your own laptop, write the reports in Word. Save to your HD, then just cut and paste.
  16. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    We got up early this morning and headed towards the mountians to escape the heat, humidity and the rain. I am pleased to say we accomplished all three.

The road west to Guadalajara was pazed as nicely as any in the US. It was moderately twisty, and offered a few nice vistas, we might have a picture but it was nothing spectacular.

Once in Guadalajara we rode through some seriously insane traffic, until about the center of town. While in the middle of town Joe changed lanes and about ten cars followed right behind him. I totally lost sight of him. He had pulled over at a gas station and I had no idea. The signage wasn´t of any use so I took the road I thought Joe had taken. At this point Joe was following me but I lost him at an exit :baldy. SO long story short I continued down to the next town, found some internet at the local library and was able to facebook chat with my dad who was on the phone with Joe. Joe came and met me in Zapotlan Del Rey and we headed south to Poncitlan. We are in Poncitlan for the night. We plan to make our way south as directly as we can to San Cristobal De Las Casas in the next few days. We are going to take a Spanish course there.
  17. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    Well we are near Ciudad Hildago today. We only rode 30 miles today. Monctezuma is exacting his revenge on Joe. We are both feverish, him more than I. I have been wandering around this town whose name I can´t recall getting medicine, food and most importantly internet.

Two days ago I unclogged a toilet with my spare clutch cable in San Blas, yesterday morning we awoke to find the bike completely covered in pigeon dropppings, we cleaned that off and on the way out of town I planted my foot square into a plie of horse dung. :huh .

Then, just when I thought I had this Mexican traveling thing figured out :topes, we ascended into a cloud forest high in the mountians. It was spectacular, there were a lot of grand vistas, and we spent the whole time riding in and out of the clouds. It was the best ride of the trip so far.

When we finally got to the town at the end of the cloud forest we got a hotel and some food. By that time Joe was already shivering with fever. It got worse through the night and now he is bed ridden. We only rode 30 miles today. I am feverish myself, but not nearly so bad. My body is aching a bit and my head feels light... but it seems to improve my Spanish and relax the tension in my back.:thumb

Stay tuned for some killer pics :ear
  18. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3:poser
  19. wayno

wayno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quote Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Charles Seguin
    My body is aching a bit and my head feels light... but it seems to improve my Spanish and relax the tension in my back.:thumb

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:lol3:poser Quote Quote

+1:photog :lol3 :lol3 Oh! and great report:D
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  20. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    keep pounding the h2O, it will pass but it will not be much fun.