South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Charles Seguin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pounding the agua isnt working so well for either of us. In one end and out the other, and not the normal end either. We´ve switched to gatorade now. Its working wonders. These last couple days have been pretty rough. Charles crashed last night and got up to puke 8 or so times over the course of the night. Strange because he didnt really eat anything recently that could make him sick. Just pan. The only thing we could think of was some coffee, but that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Anyways we are both getting better and the people at the hotel are really nice. The guy who owns it gave Charles some of his antibiotics because he didnt have any. We´ll probably have to stay here another day because even if we are feeling better tomorrow I imagine we wont be well enough to ride. No sense in pushing it and risking a crash. Im going to try to upload some pictures but this computer still hasnt drawn all the thumbnails on my camera so it might be a very slow process.
  2. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    In ride report land, the orange color for the teller of the story helps readers tell who's writing the report and who's commenting about it. Whatever floats your boat. :D

Anders
  3. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Oh I know, just some bullshiting between brothers. I would change my text color but I have a complex about it from instant messaging programs.
  4. ahoraquemister

ahoraquemister Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have made Google earth maps for out journey from Bogota to Buenos aires. Send me a email and I will send them to you. We will be going From Bogota December 17 2008. We still dont know if we want to go through Bolivia or not becausde of tthe political situation down there.

sbustamantev@gmail.com
  5. Roboter

Roboter Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Dude! Yes Gatorade is good, but 4 liters of bottled water per day and some power bars will cure it in no time. I lost weight when I did my Mex and Central America trip last year, but was able to have protein and other essential nutrients through packaged food. Stay away from food stands and other joints regardless of your budget. You could really get fucked up if it gets any worse. I feel bad for ya both. Get well and again, packaged food and store bought bottled water! 4 liters a day!!!!!

Roboter
  6. Pockethead

Pockethead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WTF they're $50 here!
  7. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is you guys will be fine after this, but with the occasional runs. Stay away from the extremely ghetto food stands, but if they look clean and well managed hit them up.
  8. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Ive been drinking a mix of Gatorade and water. Originally I was just drinking lots of water, but it got to the point where it was coming out the other end within 10 minutes of drinking it. I figured that wasnt exactly contributing towards me staying hydrated. Today Im feeling much better, the fever and every else but the shits are gone and Charles is feeling better as well. We will probably hit the road again today and take it easy. 100 or 150 miles should be plenty.

Good to see you´re still around after that dogpile in the basement Roboter.
  9. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer. When we get into Colombia we might take you up on it.

As far as politics go its been my experience that people from many of these countries are anti american government but pro american people, especially people who are taking the time to see their country and their way of life. The relationship between citizens and the government in Latin America is different than it is in the US. In the U.S. we talk about OUR government, something that we are connected to, and that we have sway over etc etc. Down here its more THE government, disconnected and to be kept at a distance.

This is of course an academic generalization I was taught in my studies of Latin American politics and history, but so far it has proven itself to be true in every instance its been tested. So long story short, don´t let that kind of stuff spook you, go out and test the waters for yourself.

Of course its also possible that there is an entirely different political situation down there that you are talking about. In which case disregard everything I just said. :lol3
  10. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    Edit- Text added.

The next two shots are from a national park east? I think... of Morelia whose name I either forgot or never saw. Morelia is in a valley at the base of some relatively tall mountains so as you pull out of the city (the centro was very beautiful, one of the places Id like to revisit) you climb steadily into the mountains. As we did this the weather changed from partly cloudy to raining steadily. I thought we were going to get soaked, but we climbed out of the rain fairly quickly. For the next 40 or so miles, which were all twisties, we climbed and descened amongst the clouds and some light rain. There are one or two more pictures of this I think that Ill post shortly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As Charles has stated below this is the little fella that helped him wash his bike. He seemed pretty fascinated by the bikes and was very chatty even though we both had a hard time understanding him. Really nice cute kid I was glad we could help him out with a little money. This was taken in Poncitlan, which is south of Guadalajara.

[​IMG]

These two are a bit out of sequence but I posted them for our family. They are both shots of San Blas, the one directly below is the street in front of the hotel we stayed at. Most of the streets in the city were flooded (rainy season) so people just drove a little slower and tried to dodge the puddles.

[​IMG]

This was taken from the central plaza of the city. Shows the church and gazebo on the square. The McDonalds restaurant picture we linked above is just around the corner from here.

[​IMG]
  11. Roboter

Roboter Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Danke. Enjoy!
  12. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    The one picture is of a local kid helping me clean pigeon poo off of my bike. I gave him all the change in my pocket for the help, which must have amounted to $2, he was pretty pleased with that... I´m grateful my own life is such that I would only clean poo off my own machine. :flug I made sure he washed his hands in a proper bathroom before we left, he was just going to wash them in the bucket we used to clean the bike. :huh

Finally feeling like a human again today. We lost three days of riding and I lost a pair of pants to Monctezuma´s revenge. Maybe tomorrow we will get some serious miles down.

13. Charles Seguin

Charles Seguin Noob4Life

Oddometer:
    We love it. Where´d you find that Nietzsche qoute?
  14. Roboter

Roboter Vagabond

Oddometer:
    While studying him for a few years in college. I found it in his "Human, all too Human" book.
    Google - Nietzsche quotes You'll find some interesting ones.

Have fun! I'll be watching!
  15. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    So I´ve got some other random photos Im going to post here that will bring us up to date. My memory card caught a virus from one of these damn internet cafe computers so I had to reformat it. So whats on the Smugmug is all we have (its about 98% of the good stuff).

There are a couple big lakes in the area around Guadalajara and Morelia. This is Lago de Chamala (I think)

[​IMG]

We were both suprised at the size of the lake, its enormous, even though its kind of obvious from looking at the map. Very beautiful area but it was also very hazy when we got there so none of the shots turned out all that well.

This one is the other big lake thats closer to Morelia. This one wasnt as hazy but the light was very intense through the clouds so again we didnt get as good of shots as Id like. And as Ive stated before its a real pain to find good places to take shots of the scenery directly off Mexican highways, they tend to not build pulloffs or vista points or anything. There is rarely even a shoulder, and when there is, uncut underbrush often obscures the shot you want to get. Frustrating.

Hey look a picture with a person in it!!

[​IMG]

Heres another view of the same lake:

[​IMG]

One more

[​IMG]

Another shot of the first lake I just found

[​IMG]
  16. j_seguin

Oddometer:
    I like this picture... its from the cloud forest I mentioned earlier

[​IMG]

More

[​IMG]

And from our ride today one of several interesting mountains between Cuernavaca and Izucar de Matoros or wherever it is that we are now (im still a bit out of it)

[​IMG]

So the place Im at is closing. Might try and find one open later. So if I do I´ll be back to finish updating the text portion of things. If not manana baby! :robin
  17. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys are feeling better! Those look like some gorgeous places you've been to so far! :robin
  18. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear

Glad you guys are starting to feel better!

Am I the only one that would cal the formation in that last picture Snoopy Rock?
  19. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be darned.
  20. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, nice pics. I am amazed you have the strength and where with all to post after being so sick.

Here is the deal on getting sick down there. It is likely you may get a bit sick in every new country or region you visit. Your Gringo metabolism has not yet acclimated to local bacteria. It will ... hopefully in a week or so.

But it sounded like your brother had the "real deal", that is Amoebic
    Dysentery. At this point Antibiotics may be in order. I spent 7 years off and on all over Latin America and nearly died a couple times. Try not to get the odd versions of their "Gripe" (Flu) or Los Toz. Be careful in any bathroom you go in. WASH hands regularly. I got Hepatitis in Bolivia.

I also rescued an American in Coroico, Bol (most dangerous road) who was so sick he couldn't get up. Got him well and back to US Embassy and home. By the time I got to him, he had lost 30 lbs.
    weighed only 100 lbs. or so, 5' 10" ft. tall.

Staying healthy there is kind of a full time job. That said, I ate at all street food stands, market stalls and such. I learned to bring my own cup for drinks and own silverware. Only go to most popular stands with good looking food. Eating street Tamales or Ricotta Relleno can be a bit dicey.

Buy a supply of Lomotil but USE sparingly. It is a Paregoric, (opium based) and can stop you up for a week if you take too much:huh

At the first sign of trouble (sulphur burps, gurgling stomach) take one tablet only. Wait. Never take more than maybe one a day, or even two days. The Gatorade is very smart. It restores lost electrolytes to your systems and aids in rehydration. The shits dehydrate you dramatically. You can die .... serious. I saw this up close and in person in Cambodia and Ethiopia.

I used to drink a LOT of fresh Orange juice when ill. Like two quarts a day at least. It is a miracle healer. No idea why but it works. Actually, any freshed squeezed juice is good. Especially Ginger and Beet juice, Carrot (Zanhoria) Hot chicken soup or any soup is good too. Having stomach issues is part of travel. Hopefully you guys will adapt quickly to new bacteria as you move from place to place. But it is everywhere and it is unrealistic to think you can avoid it all. Some folks I saw traveling did the dumbest (like wash a salad in Bleach!) things ... and guess what? They STILL GOT SICK!

But do be careful in bathrooms and places were Hepatitis can be ....
    like public, unclean hot springs, or beaches near river mouths (raw sewage comes straight out into ocean or river) And DO be careful with water. Fruits and veggies are good and well grilled meat. Same with Chicken. In Ecuador I got Salmonella from a Rotisserie chicken place .... it was under cooked. Not good. You will see these places all over Mexico and Latin America, they are 95% good if they cook the Chicken well.

Good luck, stay well!