1. eNewsletter Sign Up

South American Adventure - 2 up on a R100GS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Flyingavanti, Sep 1, 2005.

1. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bugger. I'm going to miss this post.
  2. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    I'm going to miss this ride report as well, I've been following you guys from the begining and you almost seem like family. The most important thing is Sandy's health everything else takes a back seat to that.

I hope everything works out for you guys. I'm looking forward to more "Then and Now" pictures. I don't think anything else I've seen on this board compares to them.

All I can say is Via con Dios and many happy returns.
  3. Nelson

Nelson Shadow Boxer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic news on Sandy, go home rest up for a new chapter, and thanks for all your hard work. It's been a helluva ride!
  4. RonS

RonS Out there... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been following the two of you from the beginning and as I was getting caught up tonight I was trying to think of some way to thank you for all you've done for the rest of us with your insightful posts. I think bavarian said it best so I'll just repeat his words:

Both of you take care. We'll see you out on the road.
  5. claudio17

claudio17 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great news!!

For Sandy, and for the 2nd chapter!:clap

Will be anxiously waiting for next years episode!
  6. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    On the 6th of June we left Sao Joao Del Rei and head northeast towards the historic town of Ouro Preto. The first small town we passed through was Entre Rios de Minas.
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table1 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=124>One of many churches that we see today. I know, as I write this down, that heart problems are coming for Sandy in the next week, and I reflect on how much she was enjoying the ride.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=124>We talked often about how lucky we have been, with all the neat sights and people.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    The next city on the way to Ouro Preto was "Congonhas do Campo". This place s not a tourist destination. It was a little rough around the edges, but we had 4 "Then and Now's" from Congonhas. This Basilica had 12 sculptures which were like no other church we have seen! And it sat on a hill top over looking the city!
    [​IMG]
    I do not know why, but this is one of my favorite pictures. I love all types of palm trees.
    [​IMG]
    The first "Then and Now" was of the Basilica of Congonhas. It was fairly easy to find, as it sat on the top of a hill overlooking the city. It was from the 1939 book, "Travel in Brazil".
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table2 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>The original picture from 1939.</TD><TD width=663>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>It is hard to see ANY change, other than the paint is fresher, and the cobblestone is smoother!</TD><TD width=663>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>And the skies were much clearer!</TD><TD width=663>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    From the same book of 1939, were pictures of the "Capelas dos Passos da Paix√£o de Cristo", which sat directly below the Basilica. I need to do some homework and figure out exactly what these were, and why they are there. We felt a bit unsafe here, so we tried to get in and out quickly.
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table3 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=124>These little building were all over the hillside, and it was difficult to figure out which ones were the right ones. As I walked around I am sure that I looked confused, which was one reason we left quickly.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=124>Different builds are now there, but I think these were the correct buildings, based on the angles, the ridge line (mountains) in the far background, and the one TALL palm tree.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=124>Check out the one tall palm tree, then scroll back and look at the same tree in 1939. Much taller in 2007!
    The location of the base of the tree, in relationship to the building seems to indicate that these where the correct buildings.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>Now I am totally confused. Regarding the one tall palm tree, as I look at the "Then and Now's" more closely (above)....... The palm tree looks like a different types of palm tree. The "Old" palm looks like a "Feather Leaf" palm and the "New" palm is a "Fan Leaf" palm. But the new palm must have been planned in the exact same spot!
    Again, from 1939, this was a picture of the Basilica from nearly a mile away. Very frustrating, as Sandy and I went up and down every street in the hills of Congonhas, from where this picture was taken, but there was too much change, and the original buildings in the near field of the photo where not located, or they do not exist. We took nearly 50 pictures from all over the hill, and this was probably where the original was taken from, but the buildings are all different, except the Basilica. Notice the tall palm trees near the Basilica, in the old and new photograph.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From Vera Kelsey's book of 1940, "Seven Keys of Brazil", we had this picture of the back side of the Basilica.
    Replicating this picture was very frustrating, as it was obviously shot through a "doorway".
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table4 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=181>Notice the shape of the top of the doorway....</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=181>This was "for sure" the doorway. I tried for an hour, to gain access to the building, but it was a complete failure.
    The building was totally secured. Behind the building was a library.
    I took the "Old" picture into the library, but got so frustrated after 1/2 hour of trying to communicate what I wanted,
    I left in frustration.
    I have to learn Portuguese!
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=181>Again, the "Then" picture.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=181>And the "Now". If you look at the crosses and other things on the top of the Basilica, you can see I was within 2 to 3 feet of where "Vera" once stood, but not exactly!
    I wonder if "Vera Kelsey", the books author, spoke Portuguese?
    I also know from the angles of where everything lines up, Vera was either short or bent down to take the picture!
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=181>And in color!</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table5 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=173>As I sit in the hotel, in Belo Horizonte (on the 15th of June) posting these pictures, I realize what a great sport Sandy has been, to bounce around South America on the back of a 16 year old BMW. She stood by the motorcycle for over an hour, while I ran all over the hill trying to get the "New" pictures!
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>

Don't give up on us yet.... The pictures of Ouro Preto are coming soon! We loved the place!
    :thumb
  7. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Great news about Sandy. I'm glad the journey will continue.:clap

Even if I have to wait a year.
  8. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about some then and now photos of the OC.
  9. sashapave

sashapave riders on the strom Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whew! I'm relieved to hear about Sandy's outcome. Great photos as always and let me know the next time you're headin' up to the bay area!

-Sasha
  10. GatorTiger

GatorTiger Go Gators - Ride Tigers!

Oddometer:
    Hey Sandy and Dale!

Can't begin to tell you how glad I am to hear the GOOD news about the health issues!!!! :thumb

Just as glad to hear that you will continue your trip! And very quickly loose any sentiment about this trip being a failure because you're missing a few miles from the target!!! Many inmates might rate the quality of a report by the number of views or replies. I say that is crap! Quantity doesn't equal quality... Content! That's the key! And your report set a mark that most others cannot even come close! You're right up ther with Glen and Allan in my opinion!! :deal

So don't give a :topesabout missing miles! You achieved so much already with such high quality (both life and reports :D) that you have NO reason to apologize or doubt yourself whatsoever!!!!

Gawd, I guess I'm not the only one that is absolutely jealous!!! :beer I hope I have the good fortune of meeting you guys one day!!! :ricky

All the best for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:clap
  11. Jedediah

Jedediah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great adventure you have shared with all of us. Thank you very mucho.

See you in L66.

Jed.
  12. Shlongdistance

Shlongdistance SHLONGDISTANCE

Oddometer:
    :clap It was fun while it lasted. Great trip report.
  13. BANATT

BANATT n00b

Oddometer:
    Dale,
    I just caught up with the latest news and am so glad that Sandy is OK. It was a privilege to spend some time with you while you were in BA and hope you guys can continue with your great adventure soon! Until then take care of Sandy, and enjoy your family!

Best Wishes,
    Dan and Theresa
  14. Popey

Popey Nutter

Oddometer:
    D&S,
    I got behind with your awesome thread, but wow, those last few days have been real page turners! Definately more than you wished for and very happy to hear that Sandy is OK.
    100% the right decision to return home, but I love the way Dale has left the door open to return. I smell a sequel!!
    Look forward to riding with you both in Death Valley, or wherever, soon.
    You guys are truly amazing.
    THANK YOU!!
  15. I know, that's Spanish. But I'm revving up for a Baja tour. I've missed most of the drama from the recent postings due to boring prior commitments. Not only do the Ploungs have each other, but they have great friends all over the hemisphere. That's plenty of happy thoughts and prayers to pull you through when your front tire starts to wash out. Coming home on a relaxed schedule is the best thing to do. Under the same circumstances, would you leave San Diego for a gonzo 2-up to Scorpion Bay? I think not. Plus, we get to enjoy dinner and a glass of wine with you sooner! All our love, Lynn, Mike and fam. Happy Father's Day, Dale. "Your best judgment" rules!
  16. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:

hmmmmm... That could be interesting! :evil
  17. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Sequel just confirmed 5 minutes ago! :clap

Tom Greninger, my riding buddy from Huntington Beach, just confirmed that he will ship his R1200GS down here next April and finish the ride with the "Old Guy"!

Tom (Honda) and me in Baja a few years ago. The picture is prior to us both going ORANGE!!

[​IMG]

POPEY ---- We will see you in Death Valley!
  18. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Baja will be in October Mike! I am really looking forward to riding with friends down Baja and then over to Copper Canyon!

See you in a few weeks Mike!
  19. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    After taking the four "Then and Now's" in Congonhas, we finished the days ride to the historic city of Ouro Preto. Out first impression was "Beautiful City" ruined by "Tourism". Every 30 seconds somebody would step in front of the motorcycle and try and "Hawk" a hotel room, or jewelry store, or restaurant, or a tour guide. It was very frustrating to visit 8 hotels (with a guide that told us he knew where there was a room that was available), and they had no rooms available. We finally to him to get lost (well, maybe not quit that nice), and we went to the Grande Hotel of Ouro Preto. More on that later.
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table6 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=155>This was the view from our hotel room.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=155>Looking down from our balcony.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=155>Telephoto from Balcony.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>I do like "Modern" architecture. But it has it's place, and in the middle of Ouro Preto, a large hotel that looks like it was built in the 1960's looked out of place. But we needed a room, so Sandy went in and they said they had "One" suite available. It was a 2 story, 3 bedroom suite. I was upset at first, but it was better then sleeping in the streets. When I entered the hotel, I discover that it was a "Oscar Niemeyer" building. The most famous architect in all of Brazil! And this building was not built in the 1960's, but in 1935! It was one of the first buildings designed by Oscar. You either "Love or Hate" Oscar Niemeyer's bold, cold and modern designs. The fact that this building was designed and built more than 30 years before this style became popular really highlighted to me how much ahead of his time Oscar was!
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table7 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=153>This was a large picture, in the lobby of the Hotel, of Oscar Niemeyer, standing on the balcony of a room of the hotel, back in 1995. We were in the "huge suite" and it looked like this picture was taken in our room, but the angles were off just a little.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=153>We went to the front desk and asked for the keys to the room next to ours. Sandy standing on the balcony of room 5, on June 7th, 2007.
    It was a MATCH!
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=153>If Oscar Niemeyer can have his name on the picture, so can Sandy!</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    This is the Grande Hotel. On the left side of the hotel, on the patio shown here, is where we had breakfast every morning. Our room was on the far right side of the hotel.
    [​IMG]
    This next picture was taken directly from our balcony.
    The main building in the lower part of the picture is now a museum.
    The building use to be a "mint" (Casa dos Contos).
    [​IMG]

The good stuff is coming up in the next set of pictures!

BTW, the break at home is going to be fun. The rear shock has just failed, so another rebuild at RaceTech will make the last part of the trip (next year), a much nicer ride!

Sandy is doing better!

The Grandson is ready to ride!

Time for the "Big Dog" ride in Colorado (August).

And it is time for a KTM run down Baja (October)!

20. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    BTW,

If StrikingViking has a new wife (a BMW HP2)...........
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Strikingiking.........
    Here is my new darlin' her full nakedness--untouched by another?

[​IMG]

I am lucky also, as I will be returning to my two girlfriends at home!

See picture below!

[​IMG]