South American Adventure - 2 up on a R100GS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Flyingavanti, Sep 1, 2005.

1. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    glad to hear that Sandy is doing better. send her my best wishes!

is there a shock that doesn't break???
  2. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:rofl Love it! Funny when a then-n-now can present itself! :thumb
  3. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Great news about continuing the ride next year, Dale! So now we wait for what, 9 months? Well, it will be worth the wait.

And great impromptu "then" and "now" with Oscar Niemayer's photo.

Cesar
  4. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    Busy down here...

Yesterday Flavia (Andre's wife) took us to the Federal Police to get an extension to our Visa which was going to expire prior to our planned July 3rd return home. The first 3 months flew by!

Still do not have authorization to leave the motorcycle here. Working that today.

Sandy is doing much better. Blood Pressure is good, but the dosage of Diovan is still high.

Going to attend a BIG motorcycle meeting in Tiradentes on the 28th, 29th and 30th of June. Should be fun.

Then return home from Sao Paulo.

Tom Greninger will join me in April of 2008 to finish this ride! :clap
  5. claudio17

claudio17 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great news!

I knew you would go back.:clap
  6. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Yes... behind in pictures, but we have been busy!

Yesterday we got are visa's extended to September 29th. It expired on the 29th of June, and we are flying home on July 3rd. Trying to be legal!

After that, we extended the motorcycle permit to the same date!

BUT, we have a new problem. The motorcycle MUST be out of the country by September 29. We asked, based on Sandy's medical reason to go home, if they would extend the motorcycle. No luck.

Not sure what to do now!

Sandy and I will celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary tonight. The TOUGH question is "Do I wear jeans or the BMW riding suit to dinner"?

:rofl
  7. Luciano_SR

Luciano_SR My bike... my lifestyle!

Oddometer:

Hey Dale!

How are things in BH? Where have you already visited?

About the bike, thats a problem... why don't you take it back to US and then return with your KTM Adv? (I always wanted to ride a KTM Adv :evil:evil:evil:evil) - hehehee, just joking.

Hey, have you ever had dinner at PORCAO in Belo? Give Sandy this present. It is on the "Raja Gabaglia Avenue", I suggest you take a taxi (too much alcool). They have waiters that speak english and have a very good service!! A little too expensive for me (about R$150,00 per person - food and drinks, depending on what you eat and drink) but I think that a wedding anniversary deserves it!

And I'll be in Belo this weekend! Actually I'll go to Sete Lagoas on saturday and spend the sunday in Betim, but I'll find a way to meet you and Sandy!

Best regards!
  8. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Can someone push the paperwork for you come Sept 29th for you to get another extension? If that's possible, to have someone process the paperwok for you, you need someone with a good "despachante" (if this breed still exists). In the good old days, they used to make miracles happen (insert adequate price here).
    Best wishes,
    Cesar

9. XTman

XTman Do NOT follow me...

Oddometer:
    The bike will have to leave the country and enter it again. A trip
    to Argentina or Paraguay and back would do the trick.

Take care.
  10. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Still no answer yet on what we are going to do. May give it another try when we get to Sao Paulo.

No time to post pictures yet, but do have a little story.....

Sandy has gotten TOUGH!

Today in Belo, we are riding about 15 mph and a taxi starts coming over into our lane (it has happened 1,000's of times before).

This was very close, so Sandy sicks her hand out and it tears the entire mirror assembly off the taxi.

THEN, he chases us and wants us to pay for his mirror. I went completely ballistic for putting US at risk! I told him to get out of the car and I will tear his F__king neck off!

He then follows us and when we stop for traffic, he locks all four wheels up and nearly hits us!

I made a U-turn over a center divider, and left him.

I have to get Sandy to stop ripping up the Brazilian's cars! :huh
  11. Luciano_SR

Oddometer:
    Dale...

Sorry for that, but taxi drivers in Belo Horizonte are like animals... I have had some problens with then also. Don't worry or get upset!

Had you go to Porcao last night?

Sorry for not being avaiable at Skype. I'm a little bit sick this week... get to home and to directly to bed. :sick:sick:sick:sick:sick
  12. DrMike

DrMike Old F'ng New Guy

Oddometer:
    1. Good hands, Sandy. It may help the wackjob taxi driver to be a little more careful as will have to pay for the repairs.

2. Law of gross tons still applies. Regardless of how cool you are, he still has 3/4 ton of metal around him and you have your safety gear.

3. You probably did the right thing by busting a move he could not copy to get away from him.

4. Watch your back till you are well out of town.

5. Watch your back any way.

Happy Anniversary.

DrM
  13. Cara Pálida

Cara Pálida Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3:rofl:clap
    Two moths in Brasil and you both had catch the "spirit"! :poser
    You will never be the same.
    The mirror probably was glued to the car to mislead the law!:deal
    Well done, Sandy! Hope you don't have hurt your hand!:D

And that goes to the taxi driver:ken

Abraços,
    PGF
  14. Miguel AL

Miguel AL Always on the Run

Oddometer:
    It is not possible for him to leave the bike here. The law states that any vehicle that is not regularly imported to Brazil (eg when they come as tourist vehicles) can stay here for a max of 180 days (90 days extendable for another 90 days). If it stays he will be breaking the import laws, and will probably be HEAVILY fined when he tries to take the bike home (150% of the value of the bike, acording to Receita Federal). Worst, if stopped while he is travelling, the bike will be impounded.

I think the best solution is to take the bike to Argentina, where he has friends, and enter again through there next year, or take it back to the USA and bring it back again. It is a pain, but you have to remember that the bike has a TEMPORARY import status, and if it stays in Brazil it would become a permanent bike here.
  15. Definitely, jeans. The riding suit is more appropriate for for a fiftieth. :freaky

Sandy, do they have anger management classes in Brazil?
  16. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3> <TABLE id=table8 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=174>On the 7th of June, we hear church bells ringing. I look at my watch and it is 8:10 am.
    Why are the bells ringing at 10 minutes after the hour.
    15 minutes later the bells are still ringing.
    I finally look out the window and a religious procession is going down the street.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=174>Not sure what the procession was for, but it went from church to church through the streets of Ouro Preto. Being in this town is like "Living in a Museum".
    The bells rang constantly for over an hour!
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=174>I thought this was a "Kodak Moment".</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    As we followed the procession we found some of the "Then and Now" locations.
    The church behind Sandy has over 900 pounds of Gold Leaf!
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    [​IMG]
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table9 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=213>Kids are angels here in Ouro Preto. As we followed the procession, nearly every window had a blanket or quilt hanging from the window.
    Do not know why....
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=213>Sure wished we knew the significance of the procession.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=213>Even though it is an "Old" city, there are signs of the 21st century.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=213>As we walked along in the procession, the moon was at the perfect angle for pictures. I took nearly 100 pictures of old buildings, with the moon overhead.
    Here is one......
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    What was really neat about this procession, is Sandy and I seemed like the only tourist, which makes watching the event something very special!
    Nearly every balcony had a "local" watching the parade. Note, again, the quilts.
    [​IMG]
    She seemed sincerely moved by the parade.....
    [​IMG]
    There were many "Angels" in Ouro Preto!
    [​IMG]
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table10 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>There are 12 bridges in Ouro Preto, that were constructed in the 1700's, which are still in use today. Below the cross is a stream which flows though the city.
    </TD><TD width=665>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>You try your best to capture pictures of architecturally interesting buildings and people walk right through the scenes!</TD><TD width=665>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Taking pictures is very frustrating when you are hampered by women in tight jeans!</TD><TD width=665>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>We walked by the train station, as the steam engine left town. We purchased tickets for the 9th of June.
    Destination: "Mariana, Brazil".
    </TD><TD width=665>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
  17. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for keeping us posted and updated on your logistics issues, this is all good stuff. Your photos are first rate and thanks again for that. Good luck moving forward!:ricky
  18. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    After following the religious procession through Ouro Preto, we returned to the church of "Nossa Sra. do Rosario", which we stumbled upon (still June 7, 2007).
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table2 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>This was the cross on the roof of the first "Then and Now".</TD><TD width=698>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>From the 1939 book, "Travel in Brazil".</TD><TD width=698>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pretty much the same, except fresh paint and new steps! Still, no homes on the hill to the right of the church!
    </TD><TD width=698>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>In color.</TD><TD width=698>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table4 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=143>This is the same church as above, but taken from 3 blocks away. It was also from the same book.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=143>The first building on the left is the same as it was 68 years ago, although hanging lamps were added above the windows If you follow the street up the hill, the first house on the right side of the street has been expanded.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=143>It is fun to stand in a "Then and Now" spot and figure out which ones were new, which were old and which have been modified. Hey, I am retired and there is no rush to get anywhere!
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table3 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=209>The next "Then and Now" ended up being the church of "São Francisco de Assis", built in 1772. Ouro Preto is a "UNESCO World Heritage Landmark", therefore changes are minimal.
    (Book: "Travel in Brazil")
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=209>New paint, but the same front doors! The fence is now different.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=209>If you ever have the chance to visit Brazil, do not miss Ouro Preto.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=209>And a "Tourist" picture of Sandy, the motorcycle and "São Francisco de Assis".</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
  19. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    The next "Then and Now" was very easy to find, as it was located only 214 feet down the hill from our hotel room (verified with a measurement from Google Earth)! It was the "Casa dos Contos". It was built in the 1700's. It was once a home, money mint and city hall. The building has been through a recent restoration to save it from turning to rubble! Notice all the new trees that are now located on the hill to the left of the Mint!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The following are a few of the hundreds of pictures we took, as we rode around Ouro Preto.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just outside the center core of the city.
    [​IMG]
    Everywhere you look, it is a picture!
    [​IMG]
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table5 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=212>I took this picture inside the "Mint", looking out.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    This is my attempt to be artistic. (the roof of the "Mint", taken from a window in the "Mint")
    [​IMG]
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table6 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=178>Not a great photo, but I liked it for some reason.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=178>The Pan American Games start on July 13th, in Rio de Janeiro. The torch is being run around Brazil, like they do with the Olympic Torch, prior to the games.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=178>Our hotel (in the center of the picture). The "Mint" in the lower right hand corner.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
  20. Luciano_SR

Oddometer:
    Great pics!

See that you spent a good time in Ouro Preto! :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb