South American Adventure - 2 up on a R100GS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Flyingavanti, Sep 1, 2005.

1. 1-G

1-G Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well i did not post much on the thread but I have followed it from when I caught up to date untill now and I have to say I hate you two are heading home but its very understanding.I realy enjoyed the reading your trip and almost at times felt like I was there. The fotos you have shared with us were awesome to say the least from the then and knows to everything from the city to the backroads. I was at times in awe of the scenery that the two of you got to see and share together. Then as time passed it never got boring no matter where or what was going on. I felt sad when Sandy had to return to the States due to medical but not just for her but for you as well since you was miles away from the lady you love and call your friend. I am glad she recovered very well and was able to return to finish the jurney the two of you had set and started. Then from there it stayed the same , just awesome from the posts to the pictures. I have to say this would be one hell of a jurney and adventure to do when I retire with my wife as well. I hate yall are stopping with only 3,000 miles to completion but understanding the reasons behind.Look forward to your return to finish the jurney and hopefully Sandy can as well.

My wife said many times while looking over my shoulder at your photos that she was one hell of a women to take such a jurney and then with what happened to return to finsih it up with you. She was impressed by her commentment as she didnt know if she could do the complete jurney herself.

Thanks to this post with you and Sandy as well as a few others she too is looking forward to a trip after our boys are grown up. I told her when we got married that on our 25th year of marriage we was going for a month to Australia and taking a ride through the outback and basicaly where ever we was to go was going to be by bike (we all know why a bike is better than a car) Now she is almost 100 % for it.

I would like to thank you,Dale and your lovely wife Sandy for taking the time to share your jurney with all of us. Sincerly Tony
  2. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    Tony..... It is messages like this that make every minute spent, working on posting the pictures, worth it. Thank you so very much!

I know our thread was not for many here at AdvRider. I did not post pictures of our meals (although I should have, as some were fantastic).

And I did not post pictures of "beer bottles". But I can assure you that I have had a few. And in Peru I had many Pisco Sours. In Argentina I drank a lot of Melbec wine. In Brazil I have enjoyed way to many "Caipirinha's"!

But most important to me is that you and a few others "Felt" like you were here! That is what I was hoping for!

To "feel like you were here" also required a BIG comment on you part, to read through the many pages. Thanks for sticking with us through the fun times, the boring times, a few dangerous times BUT mainly the GREAT times we have had with the people of South America. I would like to think that many of the people we have come to know, will be life long friends.

I hope I was able to change a few peoples impressions of what a great continent South America is!

When we fly out next Tuesday I know I will feel like I am leaving home.

It is going to be difficult. :cry :cry

I have my fingers crossed that when we get to Sao Paulo, I can get an extension for the motorcycle so I can continue next year and finish the trip.

If I can't, I will ship the bike home (with a tear in my eye). Our budget is tight and to ship it back next year is not feasible.
  3. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    I don't want to rain on the parade but as others have suggested, getting an extension is going to be difficult-to-impossible.

No one, repeat, no one does bureaucracry like Brazil. XTMan did some checking for me previously on a similar questionand got a 'no' also - and he's in a position to understand the law in Brazil better than your average person. You, being there in person, might prompt them to give you a different answer - but I wouldn't count on it.

Getting the bike back to one of your contacts in Argentina isn't an option? Are you sure you don't want to go back through southern Brazil again? :evil
  4. claudio17

claudio17 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that if you can't get the extension and can't ship the bike next year, one of our fellow advriders from Brazil will lend or find a bike for you to ride.
    Everyone wants you to finish it, right?
  5. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    On the 8th of June we took a steam train from Ouro Preto to another mining town called Mariana.
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table7 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=227>We had coffee while we waited for our 11:00 am departure to Mariana.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=227>The locomotive was relatively new (it was built in 1949 by Skoda, a company of the Czech Republic, which now builds cars).</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=227>Proof that it was a steam locomotive.</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    One of many tunnels. Picture taken looking towards the front of the train.
    [​IMG]
    And looking backwards.
    [​IMG]
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table8 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>The train station in Mariana, Brazil. In case you still do not recognize Sandy, she is the one in the green shirt.
    </TD><TD width=658>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    The church on the left was Saint Francis of Assisi (1763).
    The church on the right is the Nossa Senhora do Carmo (1784).
    Both churches are examples of Brazilian Baroque.
    You have to wonder why "two large churches were built so close to one another"?
    Zoning Laws?
    [​IMG]
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table9 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=241>And only 4 blocks away was the Basilica of "São Pedro dos Clérigos", built in 1748</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=241>In this part of Brazil, many restaurants have buffets like this. You fill your plate with whatever you want, then weight the plate and pay so much per Kilo.
    You can eat very well for less than $5.00.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=241>Less than 600 feet from the first two churches was another Basilica called "Basilica da Sé (built in 1709).</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    We only had 2 hours in Mariana, and we had 2 "Then and Now's" to locate. I did not like the time constraint. It was like being on a tour, and having to catch a bus. I guess we could always ride the motorcycle back to Mariana on another day.
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table10 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=178>The first "Then and Now" was easy to find, as it was one of the 2 churches located right next to one another (Nossa Senhora do Carmo).</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=178>The building to the left of the church is now missing. The roof line of the building to the right of the church has been changed.
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=178>Roads are still cobblestone!</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=178>This was a tough one to find. There are 1,000's of balconies in Mariana. Most are made of wood.
    This one was made of soap stone.
    Sandy and I ran up and down Mariana's streets for one hour, then "There it was".
    We would make the train!
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=178>I did not have the right camera lens to replicate this photo very accurately. Hey... We found the balcony!
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table11 cellSpacing=12 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>We made it back to the train station just in time to see the locomotive moved from one end of the train to the other. Very enjoyable day!
    </TD><TD width=571>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    That is it through the 8th of June.
  6. Luciano_SR

Luciano_SR My bike... my lifestyle!

Oddometer:
    I would do anything to help you finish this ride!... Ever thought about riding Brazil in a XTZ600 Yamaha? Hope Sandy don't bother you with the bike's vibration! :evil

Don't worry!
  7. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    That would be a cool option! :thumb
  8. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow Sandy and I leave Belo Horizonte for the motorcycle event in Tiradentes (3 nights). :ricky (still loving the riding!)

Would love to meet some ADVRiders there, and have a Caipirinha or two or three! :1drink

Dov and Andre will be there. Should be hundreds, if not thousands of bikes. WHAT A NEAT WAY to finish off Brazil (at least this year).

Just look for the bike with the license plate from California (there can't be that many bikes from California! :rofl ). We will have our 2 red riding jackets on! We had the bike washed yesterday for Tiradentes!

We will be at http://www.pousodebartolomeo.com.br

I am serious.... please come by! :deal

This will be fun.............................
  9. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Dale, if you run into resistance with the extension, bring your laptop. Perhaps you could receive temporary status as "tourism emissary" or somesuch... :thumb
  10. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Need help......

Could a Brazilian here look at this web page and figure out, where in Sao Paulo (address), I would attempt an extension for the motorcycle. My current extension is on a paper from "Receita Federal" (in Belo Horizonte).

The link...... http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/

Thanks

PS: What does "Receita" mean?
  11. Ed_in_miami

Ed_in_miami Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir!.............

May I have another one sir??...................

:tb :tb :tb :tb

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Deeze Nutz

Deeze Nutz n00b

Oddometer:
    I just found and read this entire thread this past weekd and as a new rider (bought a used klr 650 three weeks ago) I have to say thank you! Your trip has been amazing! I had no idea south america was like that! You are inspiring my future SA trip. I just have one question, are you going to write a book about these travels?
  13. Luciano_SR

Luciano_SR My bike... my lifestyle!

Oddometer:
    Dale,

Receita Federal is the governement department for

From the Receita Federal website:

Brasileiro ou estrangeiro residente no exterior em viagem temporária ao Brasil
      1. Veículo utilizado exclusivamente em tráfego fronteiriço: é considerado automaticamente em regime especial de admissão temporária, desde que cumpridas as formalidades necessárias para o controle aduaneiro junto à unidade aduaneira que jurisdicione o local de entrada do veículo no País;

[*]Veículo de uso particular, exclusivo de turista residente em país integrante do Mercosul: pode circular livremente no País, sem a necessidade de quaisquer formalidades aduaneiras, desde que o condutor porte a documentação exigida na legislação aplicável ao viajante e o veículo não transporte mercadorias que, por sua quantidade ou características, façam supor finalidade comercial, ou que sejam incompatíveis com as finalidades do turismo (vide art. 309 do
        Decreto nº 4.543/02);

[*]Veículo de viajante residente nos demais países, qualquer que seja a via de transporte utilizada, inclusive o próprio viajante conduzindo o veículo: submeter o veículo ao
        regime especial de admissão temporária, pelo prazo concedido para sua permanência no Brasil, por meio do formulário Declaração Simplificada de Importação (DSI) (anexos II a IV da Instrução Normativa SRF nº 611/06).

The bold underlined part means that the vehicle can stay in the country as long as you (the rider) has the permission to stay in the country.

Sorry, but law is not my area, I'll try to look for more information later.

The address and telephone of the Sao Paulo inspectory:

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td width="20%">Órgão:</td> <td width="80%">INSPETORIA DA RECEITA FEDERAL DO BRASIL DE SÃO PAULO - 8ª R.F.</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="20%">Titular:</td> <td width="80%">JOSÉ PAULO BALAGUER</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="20%">Logradouro:</td> <td width="80%">RUA FLORÊNCIO DE ABREU,770</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="20%">Bairro:</td> <td width="80%">LUZ</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="20%">Cidade: </td> <td width="80%">SÃO PAULO</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="20%">Estado: </td> <td width="80%">SP</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="20%">CEP:</td> <td width="80%">01030-001</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="20%">Telefone: </td> <td width="80%">(11) 2179-0101</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="20%">FAX: </td> <td width="80%">(11) 2179-0116</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="20%">Horário de Atendimento:</td> <td width="80%">9:00 às 12:00h</td></tr></tbody></table>
  14. Cara Pálida

Cara Pálida Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Olá Dale&Sandy!

It's time say an big thanks!
    It's a pleasure to see how an "foreigner" (no more after the taxi incident):roflshows the country! And we know that's not only happiness!

About your concern if the motorcycle can or can't stay in Brasil, have you considered (sic) a little trip to...Foz do Iguaçu? Then Ciudad Del Este (Paraguay) redo your papers and voilá! :deal
    São Paulo to Foz maybe one day trip :D plus one day for the customs...

Abraços,
    PGF
  15. worldrider

worldrider Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer:
    A guy I rode with and who was w/me when I broke my leg in Bolivia left his motorcycle in Brazil from April 06 until September 06 when he flew back to meet it and then regroup with me in Sucre, Bolivia for the continuation of our journey to the Salar. His papers were expired. He had before leaving talked to authorities and several people using his contacts in Rio and the answer was no way to extend beyond what he had permission for - which I can't remember.

With a good scan, photoshop and some doctoring he altered dates on his papers and carried on return as an insurance measure. Then he motored through Ciudad del Este avoiding customs and then to Bolivia from there. Not sure how, but he came back and recently shipped his bike back from Belem area to Colorado. But he did enter Brazil again and got issued new papers in March or April 2007... he's home now...

I've got 90 days on my bike here in Brazil. The customs office near the border of Chuy in Uruguay in Rio Grande do Sul told me that I could get another 90 day extension if i took to other customs office later. He also said I could also cross back to the border in Argentina and back again into brazil to get more time...

not sure if this helps. but do what you can do...

smiles y abraços

allan
  16. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    I know I could ride out later with minimal risk. Shipping from Belem will require appropriate paper work (they do use computers to verify dates).

Thanks Allan
  17. Moto One

Moto One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once you get settled, back home it would be great to meet You and Sandy, and do a ride (maybe even get the skinny on South American Travel by moto) Like I said going south is now a must do for me. Maybe a AVD group ride to finish off YOUR trip of a life time.

Thanks again for the insperation.
  18. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Mark Stickle?????

Somebody just Skype'd me, and I hit the wrong button.... Do please call back!

Sorry... I was not be rude....
  19. LucaRio

LucaRio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Dale and Sandy!

I´ve been lurking your posts, following your wonderful adventure for the past few months.
    I´m very glad to see that Sandy is doing allright and that you´re enjoying our Country.
    I´ll go to Tiradentes on Saturday but I must return because I couldn´t find any hotel to stay. The place is packed!
    I´ll look for your red bimmer. I have a 950 Adv exactly like yours, Dale (except for the crash bars). My cel is 24 9224 3639.
    Looking foward to seeing you there,

Luca.
  20. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Luca.... I am sure that the bike will be the only bike from California, with a "KTM Rio" dealer decal on it! :lol3

If you don't see the bike come by the hotel!