South American Adventure - 2 up on a R100GS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Flyingavanti, Sep 1, 2005.

1. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    That was Lion whose girlfriend lost someone. I've got friends in PA also but he hasn't mentioned the loss of anyone - I'm sorry for those who lost loved ones.

I'm headed to Argentina and then Brazil in about 2 weeks and we'll fly TAM from BA to Sao Paulo. Luckily, we're landing at GRU.

I've flown out of the city airport a few times and MrsK7 has flown out of there many times. I dread even driving by there for the reasons that Dale mentioned. Flying in & out is just as bad.

TAM's problems are a combination of many factors - some in their control - some not. Growth (huge!), Varig's bankruptcy, maintenance issues, etc. I've flown them a couple of times and the service was great - but it's been a few years. I can't tell you how long its been since a captain stood at the bottom of the stairs to welcome passengers.

I think it's cool the way airlines use two sets of steps (front and rear) when the airports don't have gates. Thank goodness it wasn't raining though. :thumb
  2. Shlongdistance

Shlongdistance SHLONGDISTANCE

Oddometer:
    Last year I spent all of my mornings before classes started, making coffee and seeing what you two were up to. This coming school year I just dont what I will do. I really enjoyed your trip report and I am inspired. Thanks again and I am glad you made it home safe. IMHO, best trip report ever!!!
    :freaky
  3. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    That's the best words I can think of at the moment to quickly classify your journey. One of the best I ever read and just started it a week ago. Shared your pains, laughter, tears thru out the hardships and the fun parts also.
    Though I'll probably never get to go to SA I do a lot of back road travel here in the US as I work 14/14 in the gulf of Mexico on Production Platforms. Everyday that I can wake up and enjoy my bikes and the roads are a treat to me. Meeting fine people along the journey and interacting with them is the desert of any trip.

Thanks for all the effort and time and work you and Sandy put into this travel log. It has enlighten some many about the REAL DEAL , And to the many that helped inspiration when your spirits were down a bit. I've had that happen from strange places here in the US as I do 99% solo travel and love not being in the main stream. Ha ha ha Use to have a saying, " If there are more than 2 motorhomes, run , it's a tourist trap" .

Again , Thanks.
  4. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Dale!

In short, profit motive is why airlines fly and governments allow them to fly out of these kind of fields. It is also why, 6 years after 9/11, we do not have 100% cargo screening, and why children under 2 are still allowed to sit on parent's laps even though in heavy turbulence they could break their neck when the become airborne. A sad tragedy in S.P. indeed.

Glad to see you two are home safe!

Brett
  5. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    Just want to say thanks for all the kind notes and words....

Since we have gotten home, I have not even opened the pictures from the last few weeks of the trip. My thought have been on "how I am going to get back down there". I have been a bit depressed.

The adventure had become a way of life and and the majority of the adventure is over. After 20 years of looking forward to it, I can not accept that the majority of it is over. I have been watching Tivo'ed things on South America and realize how much we saw, compared to what you have the chance to see on a 1 hour special.

I HAVE to finish Brazil, but also must get back to Ecuador and Peru, which seem like a lifetime ago! I do not know when I will revist the west coast of South America, but it will happen.

We are leaving to go riding in Colorado for a while, with "friends", with the 525 and 950 KTM's. I will finish the last few weeks of our report when we return.

The trip started out as a goal, but it turned into an addiction!
  6. BRZ

BRZ Insider

Oddometer:
    Hi Dale,

Enjoy the trip to Colorado and for now don't worry too much about Brazil.

I'm sure you'll figure out a way to come back. Just give it some time...

Looking forward to riding with you again. :D

Andre
  7. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey amigos--I just spent a few days riding with our same friends in Colorado too--sorry to have missed you. It was an awesome three days on and off road with Tom and Sybil. Now in Delaware but flying back to Denver Tuesday. Can we meet somewhere? I don't have a schedule except to be back in LA for a show on August 16th. Stay healthy.
    Glen
  8. COBob

COBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dale, really enjoyed meeting you and riding with you today. I look forward to Friday's outing. I think you would agree we had a great group out today.
  9. red1100cc

red1100cc motorcycle snowman

Oddometer:
    WOW, what an amazing tale with some of the best pics i have ever seen. it is truely inspireing to read through this amazing ride. it took me all day to get through it all. thank goodness for high speed net. thank you very much for posting this. it must have taken a big chunk of time out of your trip to keep posting and updateing this ride report, yall are truely an inspireing couple.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  10. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sandy

My wife Heidi and I just ran into the nicest bunch of ADV riders today down in La Paz, Mexico. One guy in particular was so warm and friendly and offered us assistance in any way on our way down to South America it was unreal. He looked us straight into our eyes and we could see he really meant it. The warmth we received from him and the rest of the bunch was priceless. You are one lucky lady indeed.
    [​IMG]
    Tom (cavebiker)
  11. Hutchie

Hutchie LawrenceofyourLabia

Oddometer:
    This is one of the best adventure rides I've ever heard of. I'm inspired by your (especially Sandy's) courage and determination. Fantastic pictures! :clap Awesome. Ride on!
  12. rluczak

rluczak Bemused

Oddometer:
    Bump . . .

(I just LOVE this report!)
  13. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of re-digesting all of this, as I myself will be in Argentina on March 15 ('08), and earlier caught through serendipity the travels and travails of the Flying Avanti :bow

:thumb

For me, this is what makes advrider the Library of Congress for inspirational threads and for people you wish you could meet, ride with, and call your friend.

The personalities in this epic are all class acts and the story was well-told, informative, and motivating.

This thread deserves an Oscar!

Bob :jose
  14. billybob

billybob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great read, I came to the party late and just now finished. I hope y'all are doing fine and I'm sure like others here, wonder how y'all are doing and what if any plans the future holds.

Bill
  15. chook chaser

chook chaser adv

Oddometer:
    WOOOWWWWWWWWW
    I read this report, not long after you left and followed it everyday . Although I am just replying now .When I first read your profile i though BOOOORRRRRING reteired couple, enginner, on a bmw with american humor (not a bad thing just 180 from engish/ australian humor) going around the place chasing up locations of old photos from last centuary.My goodness how wrong was my assumption. This is the report for me beautuiful beautiful Thank you so much for sharing the warts and all to your trip you must have agreat connection with each other that is unique your humor and attitude on the trip was refreshing and made me want to DO IT.
    I have been waiting like a poor ragged clothes boy at xmas time waiting for the brand new bike that never returns hoping that maybe next year it will happen in stead of the toy that has peices missing and the box is tattered and busted held together by tape. But I will have to accept that it is the way of travels always a new direction.I had gone and got a book that you had that was about the half safe I am a west aussie and never knew of this adventure neither did some people in the museums , so i took some photos in the hope that you will veture this way and checkout it. I had held off on posting them as i thought it wouldnt be great to hijack your report with them but here they are Hope you will make a trip over here good value and alot of advers around oz who would love to meet up with the "2 up on the beemer" with good hospitality and show you the sites of our island paridise. but once again tx and hope that you are both travelling well regards Greg
    here are some now photos from half safe now once tx for a fanstatic report when you publish your book pm tx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:

Very cool pictures....

Ben Carlin, from Perth had a lot of guts to circle the world in that floating jeep. The first book about crossing the Atlantic was great ("Half Safe"). I read it many years ago. This last week I just finish his 2nd book "The Other Half of Half Safe", when he completed the Around the World trip, and crossing the Pacific. And Greg.... I will send you a message when I get home... I think Carlins daughter works at the University in Perth, and I would love to talk to her. Maybe I could call you and talk about Perth and "Mary's" school where the jeep is now located (I think?).

I will return home from Arizona next week and will give evrybody an update on this ride report.

THIS RIDE REPORT IN NOT OVER!
    Just a break right now!

I will tell you what is up, when I get home.

:1drink And thanks to everybody for all the kind words since this ride report started. I am still collecting books and there are still more "Then and now's" to take.
  17. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:

:thumbup
  18. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    All right then, and we are still here, waiting.
    Hope all is well with you and your wife, Dale

19. DiasDePlaya

DiasDePlaya Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1 dear friend!
  20. chook chaser

chook chaser adv

Oddometer:
    THIS RIDE REPORT IN NOT OVER!:clap:freaky