South American Adventure - 2 up on a R100GS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Flyingavanti, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    I am completely embarassed about this report... I still have the last month of the trip to complete. But will not get around to it until September or October. I really appriciate the emails we still receive from you guys asking questions or requesting information about South America. Keep it coming! I love talking about it! :D
  2. tommcbride

tommcbride Long timer

Oddometer:
    AND WE ADORE YOU TWO DALE AND SANDY!
    I was just on Red Mountian/ Wilson Valley/ Anza / Thomas Mt. and was thinking about you two TODAY! ~ :clap
    You two are with us at all times whether riding OR recouperating with grand kids!

I am still reading books you have quoted and referenced!:evil
  3. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Welll......................

The day has finally come!

This trip report is back on!

Flying to La Paz, Bolivia on March 8th to see some areas of Bolivia that we did not see on the prior trip.

BUT.... this will be a little different.

2 wheels will be involved, but with pedals this time! Since we returned home from Brazil, our grandson has started racing downhill bicycles. Airfares are really low right now.... so I asked him if he wanted to go for a little bicycle ride from the top of the Andes to the jungles of Eastern Bolivia. The answer was yes!

Then a problem came up. Our daughter, Wendy got envious.

So.... it is now a 3 generation bicycle ride down the Road of Death, then a bus ride to Lake Titicaca, then a train to Cuzco.

Then we will rent motorcycles (he is only 13 years old - so Jacob will ride on the back of Grandpa's bike)) and wel will visit the Sacred Valley.

My daughter will then fly home from Cuzco.

From there we will backpack on busses and see Areoquip, Nasca, Ica (and it's dunes), then on to Lima.

This should be fun!

More later...................:clap

PS I do have some "Then and Now's" to take in La Paz.........!

I am really looking forward to getting back south.

:D
  4. OBIWAN

OBIWAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is sure nice to hear about this trip. I had just found out you came through the Oklahoma pan handle last year with the motor home. If I had known that back then I would have riden about 300 miles up there to have a coke with ya'll.

What I'm interested in, besides your trip, is some of the equipment you will be taking. Satellite phone(s), Spot(s), what brand of bicycles and models, what type/brands of hiking/camping gear will you be using.

I'm looking forward to your trip.
  5. JMB_ADV

JMB_ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :freaky

yeeha!
  6. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    Spent six days on my HP2 this summer and was thrilled to get home...old sissy.......but love reading about real adventure....Bruce
  7. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

PS, you're not related to Brett Favre, are you?
  8. dzguy

dzguy Mistakes don't stop me

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your story and writing style before! Looking forward to reading your new adventures! Thank you for taking the time to do it.:clap
  9. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for the next chapter!
  10. RockyRoads

RockyRoads RockyRoads

Oddometer:
    Dale, from your prior posts, it seems like your heart has been yearning to return to South America for a long time. I'm glad that you are finally making the journey back. You didn't mention Sandy going . . . I hope that she is healthy and happy. Have fun on your trip, and I look forward to reading about your continuing adventures!
  11. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Sandy is doing well (and thanks so very much for asking!), but we decided with the heart issues, to not have her go to Bolivia, and the 16,000 foot passes. Plus the bike riding skills and the dangers involved would be just asking for problems. We WILL return to Brazil someday, and finish that part of the trip up the coast to the Amazon.

Somebody asked what bike I would be riding on the "Road of Death'....

We will rent bicycles down there (and motorcycles).

But this is the model of bike I have been riding lately....

It is a German made Bionicon Supershuttle.... which has very cool suspension. It has 7" of travel front and rear, and a button on the handle bars which reduces the front travel to about 3" to 4" and transfers the air to the rear and completely changes the geometery (for climbing uphill).....

This picture is not me... but same bike....

[​IMG]

I know that this is a motocycle forum...... but everybody was nice enough to say that if the trip continues..... whether on busses, trains or cars.... I could still post here..........

You guys were fantastic........ so my dream continues.... if only for a short time, but it is what keeps me going!

Thanks to all!

And to continue just a small part of this adventure with my daughter and grandson is more precious then words could ever convey!

:1drink
  12. robsmoto

robsmoto Motorcycleton

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see that the trip is continuing. My suggestion is for you to take some old baseball cards along. Then get some clothes pins and put the baseball cards on the bicycles so that the spokes give you the "vrooom" effect -

Just ask your grandson - every kid knows how to make his pedal bike into a motorcycle.
  13. jposttx

jposttx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in:lurk
  14. Barri

Barri Canalla!

Oddometer:
    Hi Dale! This is my first post in this wonderful site as is ADV.
    First I entered here to know something about you and Sandy and my Oregon friends Eric & Gail Haws, but it took me almost a week to read all of this, your trip to SA.
    I'm glad to know that everything is right and you still want to be in two wheels.
    Please let me know where can I write you.
    Pablo (from Posadas, pages 96 & 97). :thumb

Remember us? I used to have a blue Transalp but now I have a brand new Yamaha Fazer 600S2.

Cesar (Gaucho): e muito bom para mim saber que vc e brasileiro (eu sou argentino, de Posadas, pertinho de Sao Borja) e tamben que mora en Eugene, OR. Si vc se encontra meus amigos Gail & Eric Haws diga meu amizade para eles!
    Saudos
  15. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    Dale and Sandy, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post pictures and all of you writing of your trip. I've enjoyed it thoroughly. Especially pictures from Rio de Janerio, I went there a few years back, my first out of country trip. It brings back MANY fond memories of the location and people, makes me home sick...if I can say that as I only visited for a week.

Rio brought emotions that I never thought I could experience from a place. It was like a small town feeling, but in a BIG place. I loved the place and people, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Rio, almost brings a tears to my eyes when I see pictures of the place.
    I went hangliding too, it was great.

One complaint.....no thong pictures, the Brazilian butt.....now that's a beautiful site...

BEAUTIFUL PLACE......thanks!!
  16. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Remember you? I think of you guys ALL the time! I will send Private Message and hope to hear from you soon! The people that we had the good fortune to meet while traveling through South America have NO Idea how much they have changed my life. It is not something I think about every week or so. It is hourly! SERIOUSLY!
  17. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:

Your are very welcome.

Regarding Rio and your emotions - I feel that way about the entire Latin Community of South America!
  18. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    NEEDING HELP!

I am getting ready to leave this week for Bolivia and Peru. Very important for me is to do reports while on the road. For the last trip, I used Microsoft Frontpage to do the ride report, then linked it to ADV.

On the motorcycle I had a ruggedized Magneseum Laptop (nearly 8 lbs).

In order to cut weight, I bought a 2 3/4 lbs Dell.

PROBLEM..... I can't load Frontpage on the laptop. Even the desktop at home can't read it. Maybe the CD is damaged?

If anybody has any ideas, I could sure used the help now. Does Expression update Frontpage sites. Help from any computer expert would be appriciated more than you can imagine!

I don't want to wait until I get home to do a ride report.
  19. COBob

COBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dale,

You may want to PM Geek. He knows about this stuff.
  20. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><!--msnavigation--></TBODY></TABLE><!--msnavigation--><TABLE dir=ltr border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><!--msnavigation--><TD vAlign=top><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    Well.... It has been a long delay since this travel report has been updated. But it is now time to continue the South America Adventure, although in a modified form. Since we returned from South America, our Daughters family has taken up Mountain Biking and Downhill Racing. When we were traveling, our Grandson, Jacob, followed our adventure closely, and seemed interested in where we traveled and what we saw.

So, Grandpa got the "bright idea" to ask Jacob if he was interested in going with Grandpa on a little downhill ride. He asked "where Grandpa"? I stated the "Road of Death", in Bolivia. He thought about it at length, and after about 2 seconds, he said SURE!

Done deal, I thought. Then Wendy, our daughter, asked me how it had completely escaped me to ask his Father or Mother for permission first"? I think I answered with a shoulder shrug. Then I got another "Bright Idea". I asked with a "Warm and Caring Manner", Wendy, why don't you join us. I did not think this was exactly the right time to explain the "Road of Death" in detail. So I described this beautiful road that starts in the fantastic Andes, and descents to the jungles. She said sure, she would go.

I felt great, cause now "How would she say that Jacob could not go?"
    So we are leaving on Monday the 8th of March, 2010, on a 3 generation ride.
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table1 border=0 width="98%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=208>This is Wendy racing in a downhill race in Fontana , California.

Not bad for a mother of 3!

</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=208>This is Jacob racing in the same race.

Hope he waits for Grandpa in Bolivia........

</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=208>I used to fly (I used an airplane).

Jacob fly's, using a bicycle!

</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>