South American Adventure - 2 up on a R100GS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Flyingavanti, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    <HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    So.... We are headed to Bolivia, and some downhill/mountain riding.

After that, we will head north to Lake Titicaca. Then, we will take a train from Puno to Cuzco, where we plan on renting motorcycles.

Wendy will fly home after 10 days, leaving Jacob and I fifteen days to tramp around Peru. He wants to fly over the Nazca Lines and Board Surf the Sand Dunes near ICA Peru.

BUT - before the fun begins, there are certain things which must be addressed!

<HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3><TABLE id=table2 border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=212>First things first!

He needs a few shots.

Notice he is still smiling in this picture, prior to entering the building for the shots!

</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=212>Funny how a little needle can wipe the smile right off your face!

Yellow fever shot complete!

This is the second injection for his right arm (notice the band aid).

</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=212>Now that the right arm is Holey, time to utilize the left arm.

These are VERY RARE photographs of Jacob, because he usually has a smile on his face!

Jacob ended up getting 6 injections before the day was over..........

</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=212>Wendy......

Gutsy on her Downhill Bike...

Wimp, when it comes to injections!

</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=212>Jacob is a BOY.... so when it comes to shopping he is usually left out.

Not this time!

So.... It was time for a trip to the Bass Pro Shop, and get some shirts "Like Grandpa Wears"!
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=212>He is not going to be happy with me posting this picture, but ..........

He sure looks like he is ready for a Safari, doesn't he?
    </TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>So that is it for now. We are busy packing and planning.

<HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>To be continued......................................
  2. jposttx

jposttx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Can't wait!
  3. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    EPIC!!!

Have a blast, Dale!!
  4. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
  5. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Pablo,

If I meet your friends Gail and Eric, I will certainly say hello to them!
    Dale and Sandy are great ambassadors of motorcycle adventuring. They also became ambassadors to the world of every country they visited on their trip to South America. They made sure they portrayed South America in the best light possible, in words and photography.

Pablo, have an assado for me!
    BTW 1: I've been to the north of where you are, the Missiones region, to the Ruinas de San Ignacio, long time ago.
    BTW 2: I'm planning my own motorcycle trip to South America. When? Not this year, but not too far away from now.

Cesar (Lion)

6. sled_rider

sled_rider DESERT ADV RIDER

Oddometer:
    It was a pleasure listening to you and Sandy talk of your adventure at the OC ADV Mtg. I have been reading the report and I am only on page 51 but enjoying every thread and photo. Love the Then & Now Photos. Hope to see you both at the April Gathering. HAPPY TRAVELS.
  7. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Well...... I have some good news and some bad news!

The good news is we rode the "Road of Death" near La Paz on Bicycles. We survived.

Coming from California, let me state that riding a bicycle at 16,000 feet is something else, or maybe I am getting too old. I was breathing like a 75 year old, that smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day.

The bad news is I won't be able to post pictures until I return home in early April.

It has been an exciting trip so far. We rode bikes down from the top of the Andes to tropical vegatation in less than 5 hours.

My Daughter and Grandson loved every minute of the decent. At the bottom, Jacob enjoyed monkey's sitting on his head and hanging on his arms. The ride is on a narrow dirt roads, where going off the rode is "Adios"! But the funny thing about it, is it is NOT scary at all. You just focus on the road, and cliff does not bother you at all.

The scary part is the bus ride back up the road. The tires of the small bus are sometimes 18 inches from a pure verticle drop!

We have also visited Puno and Lake Titicaca.

I have bored Wendy and Jacob by recreating some of the Then and Now's with them in the pictures. Fun for me!!!!

I will post a little story about the scary part of the trip tomorrow, which was on a train that we traveled on that only made 85% of the journey!

But, trying to being optomistic - 85% of a train trip is better than completing only 85% of an Airplane flight!:rofl

Seriously, I have never been as concerned about our safety, as this train trip exposed us to!

Sent Wendy home today, from Cuzco. Not it is just Jacob (my Grandson) and I for the next few weeks.

Also did some fun downhilling on bicycles around Cuzco. Breathing at 11,000 is now easy after riding at 16,000 feet.:D

More tomorrow.......

PS very sorry about not being able to post pictures as we travel!
  8. Pali

Pali n00b

Oddometer:
    A Honda Hero
    This was one of the larger motorcycles seen.

[​IMG]

That would be a Hero Honda, and not Honda Hero.
    Nice to see an Indian manufactured Bike here.
    Hero Honda are the worlds largest bike manufacturers, surpassing Honda their original Technical Collaborators.

Cheers

Pali

[/quote]
  9. darth vader

darth vader n00b

Oddometer:
    Dear D&S
    I joined ADVrider recently a followed your oddysey through SA. Being born and rised in Chile, I enjoyed every post of this amazing adventure, looked from a north american point of view.
    Just need to say thanks for a wanderfull trip, a huge job and lovely and impresive pictures.
    Never mind about posting about bikes in a motorcycle forum, in my opinion you got the right to write about it.
  10. rslappers

rslappers n00b

Oddometer:
    "I am in California, but my brain spends 90% of it's time in South America"

I can understand that, I spent some time many years ago working in brasil. Who for? Dov Koren, small small world, glad to see you had such a good time there. Dov and I are now good friends and I regularly visit brasil and am buying an apartment in Paraiba, when you return there as you know you must maybe we can touch base.:1drink
  11. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Hello!

Please give Dov and Beth a hug for us.... We think about them EVERY day! They made the trip!

Where are you now?
  12. rslappers

rslappers n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm UK based so not too many adventure trips here, my last trip to brasil was last year and am planning my next one for next year to have a look at the progress of our new apartment, Dov and Beth are still fine and for sure I'll give them a hug when I see them, Dov and I are in regularish contact and I'l mention you to him.:D
  13. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    Great journey, great bike!
  14. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    Dayum! Almost 10 years old! The very first RR I ever read on ADV. It's what brought me here. I Googled something and it landed me on this RR. :clap
  15. ICERIDER

ICERIDER Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    I think this was my first RR also. We'd just got good internet where I worked/lived in Antarctica so I hatched a plan. Still think of this RR while I ride in Chile these days.
  16. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot guys. It means a lot to us. The trip changed our lives in many ways . We are still in contact with many of the friends we met in South America, and miss them a lot. Also plan on posting all the Then and now pictures on one page, so others can enjoy them, without going through the entire ride report.
  17. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am enjoying your trip report so far but feel the need to comment on the below. You clearly crossed a line by going to an area locals did not want you to go. You were told to go one way and you responded by saying we'll go there in a few minutes. That is very disrespectful. You are perceived by locals as a white-wealthy-do-whatever-you-want-with-your-life-while-we-struggle-in-a-ghetto-type-of-person. Bottom line is that anyone who can take a motorcycle trip like you have done and I will do means we are both very wealthy by world standards. Doesn't matter if either of us is merely doing okay in the US, by world standard we have it made. And if you live in Santa Barbara, CA, you are probably wealthy by US standards as well.

To walk into that shanty down and then pull out a camera is like asking to be shot. Regardless of your intentions, what do you think they thought? They probably thought you wanted to take a picture of their desperate situation to show to everyone back home how they live. Had you tried to explain your "then and now" would have made no difference. I think you should have been able to see this and skipped this one then and now photo.

Glad you made it out safe.

NC

Carlo Muro likes this.
  18. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    Dale, I remember reading that post almost 10 years ago and being just riveted. I wanted to know more. What were they trying so hard to hide?

From a photo-journalist's perspective, you did it right. I (and many others) may have lost interest in your thread if you had played everything safe. Thanks again for sharing your adventures.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk
  19. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crazy to think we can do this now and it has only been ten years . . . I wonder what we will be able to do in 2028?

NC

20. Moto One

Moto One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dale and Sandy, like others this was the first ride report I also read and followed. Again thanks for opening my eyes to South America.

Mark