South American Adventure - 2 up on a R100GS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Flyingavanti, Sep 1, 2005.

1. RichBomb

RichBomb Curse of the Lono

Oddometer:
    Grrrr, I hate the word artsy. It delegitimizes all attempts at good composition and angles. Do it, just gun it for art photography.
  2. robsmoto

robsmoto Motorcycleton

Oddometer:
    I went back and looked more thoroughly at the link of your airplane crash. I'm sorry about the crash and ensuing injury to your passenger. In reading the reconstruction of the event, it does seem that you did walk away - and you know what is said about airplane landings and walking away!

Anyway, I hope that the worst of the mechanical gremlins have been exorcised and otherwise removed from your karma and that your South American adventure remains just that - An Adventure!

Ride Safely and Thank You for sharing your travel experiences.

Rob Tayloe <robsmoto@yahoo.com>
    Columbus, Ohio
  3. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    Rob....

Thanks... The very first thought I had after the airplane crash was.. "If you don't get hurt in a crash like that, how could you possibly get hurt on a Motorcycle?" It was not all bad, because it motivated me to retire, and get on with this trip!

Adios......................
  4. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Hello Big Medieval Warrior....

I have a favor to ask..... When you take this trip in 23 years (about 2028), I will be about 80 years old.

I would really appreciate it if you would post pictures so I can enjoy your trip from the "Nursing Home"!

By then I would imagine that you will be able to transmit live video, so that other can really join you for the ride!

Sincerely...... Dale and Sandy
  5. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do it now man! There may not even be gasoline by then!
  6. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer... I will keep that it mind! Hopefully it will not be needed!

Adios, Dale and Sandy
  7. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Did I already say that this goes on for hundreds of miles?

It gives you a lot of Thinkin' time.....

You realize that you can not be dependent on anybody other than yourself.

[​IMG]

This was the only house on a 200+ mile ride.
    We needed gas again...

[​IMG]

Purchased a gallon of gas, which took the stress out of the final 30 miles of the ride.

[​IMG]

<HR align=left color=#003399 SIZE=3>
    And back to the road......
    And I constantly think......
    Are we the only people left on earth?

[​IMG]

Nasca had huge markings, which we visited in a Cessna.
    This area of the Atacama has many smaller markings from hundreds of years ago.

[​IMG]

Sometimes it seems that it is just the 2 of us, and the many ghosts of the unfortunate! You see these roadside shrines almost constantly. Here are a couple of the most unusual....

[​IMG]

And...............

[​IMG]

Our first view of Iquique, Chile.

[​IMG]

This would be a good place for the KTM 950, with a paddle wheel. This dune was about 300 feet tall.

[​IMG]

Iquique, Chile is "Victorian"...
    The adobe's and colonial's of Peru and Ecuador are long gone now...

[​IMG]

Our hotel, in Iquique, was located on the point behind me. (Sure beats the memory of the night in "Hell").

[​IMG]

The view from the window of our hotel...
    They claim that Iquique is the "Miami Beach" of Chile...

It is very nice, but that claim may be a stretch!

[​IMG]

Night shot out the same window.
    It was a very pleasant night, listening to the surf.

[​IMG]

And the boats out the same window.

[​IMG]

Pretty classy city......

[​IMG]
  8. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    THAT is a whole lot of nothing!! Do you two have an iPod or something to help pass the time?? I get bored easily even when there IS scenery.

I love your report - look forward to the updates every time I log on.
  9. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    It is a Canon SD500 (7.1 mp) and I love the thing. It has been dropped. It flew out of my pocket in the Dunes near Ica, Peru, and landed on the metal floor of the Dune Buggy. No damage. It is beat looking but still works fine! I think they came out with a new model SD550, which is the identical camera, but has a 2 1/2 inch display versus the 2 inch display on the SD500. Hey..... As I keep tell the wife.... "What´s half an inch!".......

And I am using a very small tripod, then set the camera on 2 second or 10 second delay, so there is NO movement in the camera. Some of the exposures have been at 1/2 second or more.....

Adios...........
  10. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dale, You could have givin that guy flying lessons he completely missed the fence on the left! Great stuff - keep it comin'...

best, Larry
  11. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    Yep.... We are carrying an iPod... But have not used it while riding.... And I do like music.....

I entertain myself by trying to hold the speed within .1 miles per hour, on the gps, while going up and down hills...

You know.. Throttle Management.

Plus or minus .3 mph is fairly easy! .1 mph is tough!

If I see a car or truck in the far distance, I try and guess exactly how many seconds until we meet!

If I get really bored I pinch the wife, and then she threatens to fly home early. I then ask her what airport she would like to leave from? Then she fists the side of my helmet, and nearly knocks me off the bike.

After that, I am happy to just ride along for another 20 minutes.

Then the process starts all over again!

Funny how the mind works...........
  12. robsmoto

robsmoto Motorcycleton

Oddometer:
    I thought that I was the only one that did that.....
    This is a JOKE! - - - In case my wife happens upon this part of the thread :-)

I don't recall seeing or reading that you had helmet-to-helmet communicators
    (i.e., an intercom system). Do you.... or are you using the "holler" method?
    She hollers and you nod - "Yes, dear" :-)

Keep Riding Safely,
    Rob Tayloe
    Columbus, Ohio
  13. Ultralights

Ultralights Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is surprisingly fun, especially at night in outback Australia, wow, car lights in the distance, i bet you a hug and a kiss we pass them withing 10 minutes..........................................................................

45 mins later, they pass.
  14. Villano

Villano n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, both of you are great adventurers !!

I tell about you to my wife and she said: "search for a younger woman to go with you if you plan something like this" (really :evil ?)

Hope I not be too late. Like Victor_XT said, there is a beautiful road by the coast, from Iquique to Antofagasta, where you can see places like old Guano plants, small cities or historical places like Tocopilla, Cobija, Mejillones (nice beach, inexpensive very good seafood). Some miles before arriving Antofagasta there is a natural monument called "La Portada".
    Temperature on this road is really comfortable (seaside), and there is no way to compare against the desert road landscape.
    Thanks a lot for the very exciting trip you are sharing.
    Your narration and comments are short, precise, very easy to read an enjoy.
    Since I heard about your trip, I passed 3 full days reading all your comments and enyoying every detail, written and photographed.

About the markers you saw on the side of the road:
    ----------
    Are they just monuments, or are the bodies ever buried at the location. During the next day or two, will post a few pictures of "Descansos".
    ----------

In Chile they are called "animitas" (something like "little souls"), and are only a memory of someone who died on that place (no bones).

------
    You have to wonder why there would be an accident in the middle of this road, which was straight for over 20 miles.
    Maybe the driver fell asleep?!?!
    -------
    Yes, you are right. That is a common cause of accidents in the desertic part of the road. Specialy when travels are made in the night by cause of the very hot weather.

Be careful on the road; slowly changing desert landscape gives the impression we are moving too slow, and tends to gain too much speed.
  15. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    We covered some of that road. and we did enjoy it!
  16. Flyingavanti

Oddometer:
    The main Plaza, in Iquique, Chile.

[​IMG]

On the 25th of November, we leave Iquique and head to Antofagasta, Chile. Another 250 mile day.

The coastline is mainly rocks.

[​IMG]

Typical coastline, in the Atacama Desert.

[​IMG]

The water was very colorful.

[​IMG]

We saw 3 golf courses.
    When we saw the first golf course, I thought that it was "Marked" for construction.

I was wrong....

This is a finished golf course, with the club house in the background.

This golf course was not open to the public.. Go figure!

[​IMG]

We are finally as far south of the equator, as the tropic of Cancer is north of the equator (near the tip of Baja, California).
    We are now 5,000 direct miles from home.
    The picture below, is the monument at the "Tropic of Capricorn".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We arrive in Antofagasto, Chile and I am still trying to make it up to Sandy.
    Again, on the water, with a view!

The hotel also had flat panel televisions and Wireless Modems for the Internet.

The hotel was built in 1955, and is "Very" classic.

[​IMG]

The view from our window.

[​IMG]

A very classic 1955... The hotel, that is...
    The other is a classic 1950.......

[​IMG]

On the way to Antofagasta, we passed through the mining town of Tocopilla, where we had a "Then and Now". The city is now a run down mining town with a lot of old and unused equipment laying around. To replicate the picture would have required a boat. Call me lazy, but we decided it was not worth the effort. Yep... I am getting lazy!

The picture was from a book printed in 1940 entitled "South American Excursion", by Ernst Young.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That´s it for now... We now have ridden about 7,500 miles and still loving it. Just bought tickets to fly home from Santiago, for Christmas. Flying home on the 9th of December. We do look forward to seeing the Grandkids, Daughter, Son-in-Law and the rest of the family...... But, this is the first time in 3 months that we have a "TIME" obligation. It is not a good feeling, after not having ANY time schedule for the past 3 months. As the crow flys, we have about 300 miles to go, but we will probably ride another 600 miles during the next week, and will savor every mile.

Chile is cool! Very developed. And it is easy driving as the Chilean drivers are more courteous than at home! Hotels are great. And the food is excellent. The only drawback is that it is not cheap. Everything is surprising expensive.....

We are currently in La Serena and will try and post more during the next few days......

17. massio

massio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dale,

I will happily join the crowd in thanking you for sharing your adventure. Catching up every day or two on your voyage of discovery is an experience to be savored. Your spirit and enthusiasm shine through in your storytelling, the photos are fantastic and you (and Sandy!) are truly inspirational for us. I am certain that many (myself included) are planning their own odyssey, though few can hope to approach your grand undertaking. Carpe diem, indeed. Good on you, mate!
  18. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chilean drivers are very curteous. Wait 'till you get to Argentina!
  19. buzzardair

buzzardair terraqueous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I find it difficult to pull over for even a few pictures when I ride. I congratulate you both on such a great commentary and beautiful photography. I look forward to every post.

Thanks for your efforts and have a safe ride.

Paul
  20. NJCapoRider

NJCapoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you ... Those simple words cetainly do not seem sufficient to express my heart felt feelings of gratitude for all the great pictures and words you have provided. I truely appreciate all the effort you have expended to bring us along on your travels. Your excellent pics and colorful descriptions are an inspiration!

I look forwad to each new installment. Thank you Dale and Sandy.

Be Safe & Godspeed