South and West and East Utah in Mid May of '19

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tft, Apr 29, 2019.

1. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My good friend and I are about to undertake our first real adv ride in a few weeks, starting May 10th.
    Trucking to Pagosa Springs CO. then riding to Buff UT, to start a mostly offroad route.
    Im not expecting to cover everything I have planned but we are going to try and do as much as possible before our time runs out.
    We are going on 2 brand new 2019 ktm 690's, fully loaded with camping gear, fuel and water to sustain ourselves for about 10 to 12 days off road.
    I would consider myself a competent but novice off-road rider. Ive done a few smaller trips but nothing of this length.
    Im going to try and attach my gps tracks, would love if anyone who is familiar with any of the roads to provide some insight. I haven't explored any of this area on a bike. I've done a bit of moab and canyons lands in my truck but mostly this will be all new for us.
    If you have any advice on routes I'm all ears. Maybe Im missing something good or picking routes that are too difficult.
    Any tips for primitive camping? I am unfamiliar with BLM land (everything is owned in Texas). Can we just camp anywhere on BLM where it seems like people have camped before? I know there are some rules but it seems a little odd to me.
    I've never done a RR but perhaps this trip will inspire me.

Also, what is the best way to show a gps route on advrider?
    https://www.gaiagps.com/public/QCijXvkvLnJhadzqcsgjYMcS
    sealsam likes this.
  2. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will be hot, plan for that. Expect 3 liters of water per day not including cooking. A cooling towel for your neck keeps you cool and away from the sun. Sunscreen your face even with a full shield, your nose will pay the price. High content zone oxide broad spectrum sunscreen. Stop in shade, don't lollygag in the sun. Light colored riding gear, no black. Monitor your piss color, hydrate as needed. Start early to make time, heat will slow you down.
    sealsam likes this.
  3. tft

Oddometer:
    Ok, good info. I’m familiar with desert environments but I never through to use sun screen under my face shield.
    I’m in all white gear, white helmet even, with the ability to carry about 7.5 liters of water.
    sealsam and Bigbugberg like this.
  4. tft

Oddometer:
    What I imagine I’ll be spending most of my time doing.

5. Bigbugberg

Oddometer:
    Looking at your loop.
    1. Just before the switchbacks on the Burr Trail is a turn off to the "Strike Valley Overlook." It's a ride up the wash then a short hike; WELLL worth the effort!
    2. The route you have south looking into Lake Powell (between Gunsight Butte and Billie Flattop) is a long way. A better option with an equal view is Alstrom Point. Google that up. Great view shorter out and back.
    3. Out of Escalante is Hole in the Rock Rd. Go down that a ways and take "Left Hand Collet" Canyon back to your original loop. More prettier.
    4. The Dark Canyon road is fun and there is gas in Hite.
    sealsam likes this.
  6. tft

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for the info, I’ll look into all that.

Where is Dark Canyon Road? I found the fuel in Hite.
  7. Bigbugberg

Oddometer:
    You have Dark Canyon mapped. Its the road east of Hite
    tft likes this.
  8. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. tft

Oddometer:
    You know what, I don't have any paper maps yet. I was assuming I would just grab something when I was there or at the local BLM offices.
  10. tft

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if its worth it to go through the green river launch complex or would we be missing some good tracks hitting some trails off salt wash road?
  11. tft

Oddometer:
    Any tips on BML camping in Utah?
  12. tommybelvedere

tommybelvedere Adv alacarte'

Oddometer:
    You should grab a Benchmark map book of Utah, the information is great and the roads are pretty good and mostly complete. BLM camping is dispersed camping OK. Dark Canyon is AMAZING, gas and camping in Hite, but the lake is/was very low and a ways from the camping 3 years back. Have a great ride and stay hydrated!
    tft likes this.
  13. tft

Oddometer:
    I’m sorry for my ignorance here but i still don’t know where this dark canyon is.
    When I google dark canyon road it’s north off arches NP, but Hite is down by the ferry in lake Powell right?
  14. tommybelvedere

tommybelvedere Adv alacarte'

Oddometer:
    I believe rd 244? I may be off, the hills just roll on and on then it dumps you out to the pavement..
  15. Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City, St George, UT & Seattle -
    Deer creek camp on the Burr trail about 3 miles due east of Boulder is a nice spot. Great hiking trail follows the creek south towards the escalate river. Hells backbone Nw of Boulder should not be missed. Didn't have time to check out your route but did u plan time for a jaunt out to the north rim @ Toroweep ? Gemini bridges and Faux falls outside of Mosb are worth the mileage. -)
  16. tft

Oddometer:
    Ok, I noted the camp spot and looked at hell’s backbone. How long does it take to run it?
    I don’t think I’ll have time to do NR GC but I do have it mapped.
  17. Bigbugberg

Oddometer:
    Dark Canyon is Forest Route 208A (FR208A) east of Hite, UT.

@Nw_adventure is right, Deer Creek east of Boulder on the Burr Trail is a great small camp ground. There is camping at Hite, but no shelter from wind nor sun.
    tft likes this.