South Dakota dreaming

Discussion in 'Americas' started by engineman, Jul 24, 2020.

1. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am planning a solo South Dakota trip for early September. Going to ride the TSDAT from east to west and then do the DAKAL. I'll be riding my KTM 690. I live in eastern Iowa and am still debating if I'm going to ride a gravel route to the start of the TSDAT or trailer to SD.

Planning on camping every night. Hopefully wont be too cold by then. Also hoping I can wild camp most of the time.

Never done a solo trip this long before so probably going to invest in a Spot tracker or inreach.

Not planning on riding too hard or fast so thinking 4 days for the TSDAT and 5 days for the DAKAL

Anybody see any major holes in this plan?
  2. Grizzmug

Grizzmug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be riding the TSDAT in the next two weeks on my way out to Utah. I'll be sure to report any issues on the route for you. I am also planning on camping the entire way there.

I use the Ioverlander app on my phone to find free or very cheap camping along the way.

I am coming from Madison Wi area so we will most likely take the same path.

According to Sleddog a good days ride is about 200 miles. It all comes down to, do you want to ride all the way out there. I honestly you woudnt have any issues with the 690 taking it there and back it would probably much more fun in my book.

Either way, good luck my friend!

Grizz.
    engineman likes this.
  3. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you need a wingman.
  4. engineman

Oddometer:
    I know you didnt want to do the DAKAL wothout @RoundOz yet but welcome to ride along the TSDAT, looks like a nice trip.
  5. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I could do it as a pre-run for doing it next year with Oz.
  6. engineman

Oddometer:
    Shared my itinerary with you.

Also debating whether to upgrade my luggage. My old Ortlieb bags have been good but really like the new Wolfman expedition bags

https://wolfmanluggage.com/collections/saddle-bags/products/rocky-mountain-expedition-saddle-bags-wp

Having my daughter try to help me come up with a strap and buckle system to hold a couple of my old surplus canteens slung on each side of my tank bag. Really felt I needed to carry more water on our last trip, especially if I'm camping wild this time
  7. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Yeah, seems like I've seen your Ortliebs fill up with water somewhere before. ;) I switch from Mosko Moto over to Kreiga OS. It was waaaaay cheaper than Mosko. Side bags are 18L, so 36 total. You can also put one on top for another 18L, but I put a 40L First Gear roll bag on mine. It carries everything I need. And it's so far held up to my stupidity, so quality is pretty good. I like that style of setup because most of the weight can be carried low. Delicate stuff goes in the dry bag on top.

[​IMG]
  8. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    By the way, I'm thinking of going as low tech on this run as possible. Like, maybe I'll take my phone but otherwise use analogue maps.

And that means . . . you're leading. :lol3
  9. engineman

Oddometer:
    No problem. If we get lost we can just follow the sunrise until we hit the Missouri river and find our way home from there. You will be solving one of my concerns, which is the 205 mile no-gas stretch on the DAKAL. Just need to figure out how to transfer some gas from your supertanker to my bike.

Speaking of gas, I'm still running the old used pump that I swapped into the bike in Moab. Probably should throw a new pump in but I know I'm going to run out of time
  10. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I know how to find north with a stick. :lol3

I have one spare pump, so we should be good. I doubt you can buy one now, but California Cycle Works may still have stock. The one we put in your bike was basically new OEM. It had just 2K miles on it, so I bet it's perfectly fine. My backup is CCW, which is what's in my bike right now.

I think I also have one in-tank filter. ;) I'll check. If not, I can get the Ducati part from MotoSports.

I've got the fuel transfer thing taken care of (I think). We just need to remember to disconnect one of my front tanks before hitting the long stretch.
  11. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    By the way, I have a Spot (somewhere). I just need to turn it on for a month for $14.95.
  12. engineman

Oddometer:
    Same thing, I bought one for my dad when he was riding his bicycle across the country a few years ago, I just need to find it
  13. engineman

Oddometer:
    To maximize South Dakota time I'm thinking of trailering to somewhere around Yankton, assuming I can find a good place to leave the truck and trailer.

Thoughts?
  14. cfr

cfr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the Dakota adventure loop 2 years ago...

Think of it as a figure eight centered around Hill City. I found the top half of the upper loop kind of boring and bailed out. The rest was super fun.

Unless you're up for a real adventure, you're probably going to get lost without a GPS. When I did it, I crossed some areas where the route was impossible to find in deep grass.

Good luck. Have fun. Make sure you post some pictures.
    engineman likes this.
  15. engineman

Oddometer:
    I've heard that some people didnt enjoy the upper half as much. I think it's possible I might like it more. I love wide open spaces
    32dgrz likes this.
  16. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    The upper half, mostly above I-90 is all I was game to attempt a couple of years ago, as much of the Hills were muddy from melting snow and I was solo on the 990, fully laden. Turning back after a few miles of slipping and sliding was one of my few lifetime smart decisions.
    That north area is a lot of fast open roads but the forested area towards the border looks great on the videos - I missed it as well, with dark and another late winter storm rolling in...i woke up at a North Dakota motel with snow settling on the bike and beat a girly retreat home by highways.
    engineman likes this.
  17. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Upper half of Dakal sounds fine to me. I need to check off North Dakota on my "States I've Ridden In" mental map.

Thoughts? I try not to think -- that's what usually gets me in trouble. Have camera, will travel. That's all I think about.

Not my picture, but I just bought this camera for the trip.

[​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure I'm opening myself up to some "small hands" comments.

[​IMG]
  18. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    On trailering, it looks like there are three campgrounds in Yankton. One is a KOA. They might allow parking for an extended period, but you never know. We could split day 1 into two by staying at that campground in Pisgah, IA. I think the owner would let me park there for a week or so. But Yankton is still two hours away from that spot via freeway.

So, whatever. I'm game for anything. Just find me a reasonably safe place to park my Jeep so that nobody steals my fancy new LED headlights. ;)

[​IMG]
  19. engineman

Oddometer:
    I actually just bought a newish GMC 2500 diesel crew cab. You're riding in style this time. Probably tow my livestock trailer for the bikes
  20. engineman

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'm going with the Green Chili system for luggage
    Orangecicle likes this.