South Dakota intel...

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by motomike14, May 26, 2021.

1. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Family and I have had a long and rough school year. We want to get as far away as possible. South Dakota looks like a winner. I've heard Nemo is a hidden gem, but anywhere else we should possibly look?

Am looking for intel on a good campground to park an RV OR a specific area to get a airbnb/cabin and have access to riding, and some tracks or intel on where to ride. I'm not looking for black diamond risky trails, but a good mix of technical and flowy, if that does exist. Florida kid here hasn't spent too much time in the rocks. I'll either acquire a ktm/beta 250 or 300 or just bring my KX100.
  2. glfritz

glfritz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you can check out nemo on utube loads of good info. I just started looking into going to to sd this summer to ride.
  3. motomike14

Oddometer:
    Welp, we'll be in staying in Custer in a cabin on a resort. Probably will bring the africa twin. Will be looking for people to ride with or locals to share routes from August 16-August 26.
  4. Layton

Layton Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like to base out of Hill City … Spring Creek Resort. Dixie the owner has always treated me good and you are centrally located
    wbbnm likes this.
  6. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Plus one for Hill City area. Friends and us stayed at Mountain Meadow Resort.
  7. North60

North60 Norsky adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. motomike14

Oddometer:
    I've looked into the DAKL, likely will purchase the route maps. I also have searched the maps quite a bit, sure at least 1 or 2 days I'll make my own route and explore some.

We've looked at Hill City; unfortunately couldn't get a booking to fit our travel days without moving around. We'll keep exploring some.
  9. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I are headed out on Wednesday to finish a trip started in September. We are starting in Midland to finish the TSDAT. We finish in Custer, where we are staying at the Chalet Motel - a place run by an ADV world traveller. We are going to do daily loops around Custer for about four days before starting the DakAL. We’re adding in a few extras as well, like Devil’s Tower.

Check out the Chalet as a decent option. It gives you access to the hills, Custer State Park, the Badlands, etc.
  10. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    When will you be riding the DAKAL?
  11. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are going to be in Custer from the 5th for 4-5 days doing loops around the motel we are staying at, so our Dakal will be modified quite a bit.
  12. motomike14

Oddometer:
    I purchased the DAKAL route. We had to make a change due to the resort we had booked over booked, so we will stay in Spearfish now.

I saw your thread @Orangecicle and will keep an eye on it as you continue. Starting to piece things together, somewhat surprised at some of the limited ride posts from the area, seems like a great mix for ADV and single track heroes alike.
  13. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will be arriving June 13 in Hill City and headed out on the South section first. Post up what you see on the trail!
    vfrpilot likes this.