South East Idaho

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Metalcarver, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody else? Could be a good day tomorrow. (Sun May20) If the mudders haven't torn up the roads we could go over Skyline Ridge and back on Dan Creek. Maybe 4-5 hours with lots of options for farting around.
  2. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Wow! Is that beast ready to ride? Would like to cast the old hairy eyeball on it. I have in mind a giant project myself...
  3. IdahoAirhead

IdahoAirhead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where is Skyline Ridge and Dan Creek?
  4. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Here's a collection of roads over the hill from IF and Ammon. It should load a Google maps page. You can switch to satellite view and zoom in to check out terrain. There's a little icon somewhere where you can download the .kmz file which loads directly into google earth. Then you can open the file and see each individual road file. In google earth you can right click on the road you are interested in and save it as a .KML file. Which you can take to https://gpx2kml.com/ and covert to a gpx file which can be loaded into a gps receiver. The colors are yellow for pavement and orange for roads I have ridden a Suzuki Vstrom on. Big sandbox. Got lots more.
    Mr Dual Sport likes this.
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    OK, in Google Maps it doesn't show the name of the road when you click on the road but if you zoom in really close the road name shows up. Dan Creek and Skyline Ridge are N-S roads in the middle of the group.
    Mr Dual Sport likes this.
  6. Jclyde

Jclyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed the Sunday ride. Hope you guys had a good time. Haven't seen much action on this thread lately so just haven't been checking as often.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Announced it too late so it never happened. Maybe this weekend or next week... Dark and rainy all day yesterday east of the foothills so I suspect there's some gooey spots right now.

Skyline Ridge Road

[​IMG]

Dan Creek Road

[​IMG]
  8. IdahoAirhead

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics. I found Dan Creek Rd on the map, but haven't yet found Skyline Ridge Rd. Maybe it's labeled with a forestry road number?
    Based on your picture above, I'd really love to see/ride that area.

Do you generally only get out on weekends?
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Skyline Ridge is NF077. First road on my map to the east of Dan Creek. All of the roads I marked are fattybike roads. Right where Kepps crossing road goes into FS land there is a patch where the mudders go and rip it all up, and if so, you can back up and go down Dan Creek. Tex Creek is another excellent one. You can work your way through there and come out above Ririe reservoir.

"Usually" is a term I haven't used this year. Just bought a house and sold this one. So mostly I plant one foot and push with the other.
  10. IdahoAirhead

Oddometer:
    Aha! I did find NF077 on the maps, and based on it being in the tree-line, I thought that might be Skyline Ridge Rd, but none of the maps I looked at had a name on it.

I took a short shakedown ride out Henry's canyon / Taylor Mtn road a ways this morning to see what needs adjustment or might fall off the new ride. So far I like it, but didn't have a screwdriver with me to try modifying compression/rebound settings on my forks, and it was a little harsh on washboard gravel road. I think I'll get the tool kit put together and stashed under the seat where it would be more useful than at home on the workbench.

I look forward to exploring those roads when you head out again, but generally avoid weekends to stay away from the crazy "weekenders" with their fleets of ATV's and side-by-sides and the 4WD truck crowds. Also, the wife almost always has us committed for something at least one weekend day.
    That doesn't mean I won't go out on a weekend, just not a holiday one like Memorial day where everyone is out and no-one is safe.
  11. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day and Deer season are not safe at all. However, those are good times to head west into the desert. I still have burned into the back side of my mind two giggly teenagers on 4 wheelers, side by side in the middle of a blind turn. Gave me new respect for ABS.
  12. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    In all the years I lived in Montana, I never spent much time in SE Idaho. This weekend, made a trip through there and stayed the night in Pocatello. Beautiful.

Because of that, I spent some time pouring over USFS maps of Caribou-Targhee NF. Looks like some great riding out that way. Am I reading those maps correctly; is there great single track right outside of Pocatello? If so, where would you recommend two guys on trail bikes go ride in that area?
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I haven't done any single track but the Idaho Falls motocross guys meet up every year about half way down Falls Creek and there are a lot of trails going either way from the canyon. A number of little side trails take off from both the Skyline Ridge and Dan Creek.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  14. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    BobcatSig,
    Every time I drive thru Pocatello I think it looks like there really ought to be some great single track nearby but, I’ve still never ridden there. If you hear of some tails let us know.
    Now the area Metalcarver mentions I know is awesome. Falls Creek Rd. is just on the west side of the bridge over the Snake River in Swan Valley (Irwin). The men of the IFTMA (Idaho Falls trail machine assoc.) take care of the area and it shows.
    Just east of Swan Valley are the Big Holes (up Pine Creek Pass) one of the favorite riding areas for us in the Teton Valleys riding area. I usually access the trails from the Sheep Corrals Trailhead (shows up as such on some NFS maps, also near the Sheep Drive Thoroughfare) just a little west of the crest of Pine Creek Pass.
    If you make it to JH, we have some great trails but, you’d better wait until July for the snow to clear!
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Good info. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

Also good info. I'm quite familiar with JH, having lived in Bozeman for nearly two decades. I made many a trips down for both skiing and mountain biking. You guys have a late snow year?
  16. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not later than normal, ended the year with about 125% of normal though.
    Although some of our trails open the first of June, my favorite (Horsetail Creek)is only open from July to Sept.9
  17. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it. I was out there for about two weeks from skiing and it was a slow start to the season, it seemed.
  18. IdahoAirhead

Oddometer:
    Things are drying out quickly out there. A couple of weeks ago, I could still find some mud puddles to splash through, but on Friday, nothing but dry tracks and the dust is starting to kick up pretty good.
    In the hills east of Idaho Falls:
    IMG_3811.jpg
    Still some wildflowers out there, though . . .
    IMG_3814.jpg
  19. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics......! :choppa

COOL bike...! :tb
  20. dorkpunch

dorkpunch Oops...

Oddometer:
    Nobody out riding? I drug the 'ole girl out of a 2 year hibernation last week. Took a risk, went for a ride. Ended up being a lot longer than I had intended- was just planning on helping at the girls camp up over Wolverine for the night, but the next day I may have taken a "wrong" turn and ended up in Alpine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had the road pretty much to myself!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was lotsa fun, but 175 miles on that bike in a few hours leads to a very, very sore behind. Looking to do more exploring, anyone out riding?