South East Idaho

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Metalcarver, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Jclyde

Jclyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I would be interested in that. Better do it fast. I should be able to have some time next weekend.
  2. IdahoAirhead

IdahoAirhead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    oneBEARD,
    What day are you thinking you'd like to make that ride?
    And, after Fall Creek Rd., then what? (I don't know where Fall Creek Rd is)

I'd be up for meeting at the Bone Store to make the rest of the trip. I know, the Bone Store closed, and that is a great loss for us who enjoyed their food and drink, but it is still a good meeting spot.
  3. Jclyde

Jclyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Idaho airhead, fall creek road leads into the back side of swan valley. From there you can head up echo canyon and into four corners. All kinds of trails up in there. If one beard isn't interested I would be. I 'm open tomorrow. If you're interested tell me when to meet you in Bone.
  4. IdahoAirhead

Oddometer:
    I can make it Saturday.

You let me know what time you think you will be at the Bone store, and I'll meet you there.
    You can call/text me at (208) 534-9758 also.

I'll be the crazy old man on the black BMW.
  5. IdahoAirhead

Oddometer:
    And if you are coming from Idaho Falls and don't want to double-back from Bone to Kepps Crossing, I can meet you where Sunnyside meets Bone rd., or Bone and Kepps Crossing, or ?? You tell me.
    I only originally mentioned the Bone Store because oneBeard was talking about coming up from down that way.
  6. Jclyde

Jclyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride yesterday Idahoairhead! Next time maybe the big Southern butte?
  7. Jclyde

Jclyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice beamer by the way. I noticed all the kids thought it was coo l in Swan Valley. Good job on that bike mate.
  8. IdahoAirhead

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jclyde, for showing me the routes, and for having that GPS gizmo to figure out where we were ;)
    I had a great time, and my 63 year-old bones weren't a sore today as I expected.
    Big Southern Butte and/or the desert sounds good! Keep me posted.

P.S. I was curious, so I looked up that two-wheeled Audi of yours, and discovered it weighs a good 125~150# less than my old beast. Damn!
  9. IdahoAirhead

Oddometer:
    And here is a pic of us at the top of Echo creek trail, with the Tetons back there in the distance.

IMG_4445.jpg
  10. oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

oneBEARDtwoWHEELS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it's been ages since I've been on here and I'm bummed I missed out on those rides last fall. Anyone up for some riding this spring? I am itching to get on the bike so bad this year!
    KRS likes this.
  11. KRS

KRS Sand.... My Nemesis

Oddometer:
    That is on my list too. I read somewhere the butte has some obsidian type rock on it. I would like to ride up there and poke around.
  12. oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

Oddometer:
    It does! It's especially cool if you go up there with the right lighting as the ground shimmers from all the obsidian.
  13. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might be in this area soon if things go well ... otherwise a historical note for the people of SE Idaho. Soda Springs is not Soda Springs! This is a portion of the map of John C. Fremont's journey mapping out the Oregon Trail. It's a linear record of the trip found at the top of the map. 1844 I believe.

[​IMG]

Just Sayin...
  14. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd drink to that.........:drink............
  15. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Utah is good for name changing too. There's kind of a high valley between Hardware Ranch and the road to Monte Cristo. On the map it's called Ant Flat. You ask anyone in that area for the last four generations and it's "Piss Ant Flat"
  16. oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd share some pics of the changing weather. Here is one of me and my buddy going up east fork mink creek. The snow proved to be too much as we climbed higher. It has since melted off some. There may still be a few weeks of riding in the mountains yet! MVIMG_20191005_110701.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Jclyde

Jclyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of doing the East West your of Idaho this summer. I believe it's 550 miles from Alpine to Silver City. Maybe spend 4-5 days. Does that sound good to anyone else? Thinking late June or early July.
  18. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have thought about it. What do you have in mind ?
  19. KRS

KRS Sand.... My Nemesis

Oddometer:
    Did Alpine to Burley last year.
    It was part of a "loop" ride from Burley to Lava, to Soda, to the mountains above Alpine, to Alpine, to Blackfoot Reservoir, to Chesterfield, to Inkom, to Poky, to Burley.
    When you pass Chesterfield, and are working the mountains towards Inkom, and you get here (South Fork Toponce Creek):

upload_2020-2-3_19-0-34.png

Just keep going, it IS the right way, go through the narrow pass in the fence. Do NOT go to the North on the North and head west. A death-defying drop down a rutted out road will be in your path. We chose..... poorly. Got back home, looked up the legal motorbike trails, and realized we could have, and should have gone where I indicated with the blue arrow. Yes, it is the right way.
    JeepDawg likes this.
  20. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Good morning SE Idaho inmates! I'm blessed to spend my summers traveling in the van and sniffing out stoke (the rest of the year I grind hard to earn this freedom).

This summer it's Idaho and I'm asking for some suggestions in effort to maximize my ADV experiemce. I plan on entering the state from CO/UT ish and am curious your suggestions on places to check out in your part of the state. I prefer to van camp, day ride/return to camp and move on after a few days of exploring. I'm also open to cool points of interest, free camps, hot springs, fun hikes, and obviously any brewery suggestions :drink

Here's a look at one of last years adventures to give an idea of my typical day on the moto!

Thanks for the consideration!
    COLEMANFU