1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

South Flatistan

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Eickey, Mar 24, 2008.

1. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maybe im being thick...but what is PBC?
    palm beach county?
  2. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup
  3. Retrodirt

Retrodirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Work interference for my 2nd Jane"s ride! Gonna try for Tuesday 30th.
  4. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my 08 690 sitting in the geerage finally. Mostly stock except for Evo 1 tune-exhaust, intake, gas cap. Going to start adding pieces parts. Unfortunately I had a plate put in my clavicle last Tuesday so riding is limited... hopefully can hook up with some of you folks soon...
  5. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I've been wanting to ride down there to see if they were still there. Rumor had it up here that they were no longer around / alive.
  6. astrolump

Oddometer:
    They are still around...though when i took my GF over to see them we saw a dead one on us 1 so for how much longer i cant say..:cry
  7. hendikaf

hendikaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys
    My wife DR650 seems to run a bit rough , the valves are done and it does have new sparks on it so no clue what or if anything is wrong . If anyone know seriously about DR I will be interested to meet and even pay to know what is going on .

Thanks

Hendi
  8. astrolump

Oddometer:
    hey hendi....Im still loving the weestrom you lent me.....

my guess on the dr would be a plugged idle jet... maybe give the jets a once over with a thin wire..the fuel they sell us down here just ruins carbs if you let it sit for any amount of time...i run startron ethanol cure in everything with a carbuerator.
  9. hendikaf

hendikaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip I will check that , I still think the DL are the best bike for the price . After few BMW 1200 /1150/900 /K75 I still take the stroom over them and anywhere and without any fear of breaking down .
  10. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    Howdy y'all.

I just got a Super Tenere and it's got some pretty decent off-road tires (Metzler Karoo 3's) and I really, really want to do some off-road fun on it.

I'm in Coconut Creek (right between Broward and Palm Beach counties).

I've been looking at some places mentioned on here (Holey Lands, Rotenberger, some random stuff in the Keys) but have no idea what the current rules are or if these places still exist based on my Google-Fu.

Any leads of good places to ride for a newbie with a really heavy bike?
  11. astrolump

Oddometer:
    holey lands, hungrylands,jw corbett, miami canal road are all possibilities. all open to licensed bikes. in the wildlife management areas you should check and determine if its hunting season...best to avoid them if it is. in corbett you will get a fine for being caught off the numbered roads. there is a nice free campground at dupuis preserve right next to corbett.

i think a nice ride for a new bike is to go out hwy 27 towards south bay..then take the holey lands road to the flood gates..then the levy road to snake road. from snake you can take alligator alley back to lauderdale or go north check out dinner key wma..and find your way back to south bay.... then take Miami canal toad ( you may have to do a little steep downhill/uphill to get around a gate) or take 27 back to lauderdale.... or 441 over to palm beach...even hitting corbett on the way back...

here is a quick route i threw together that shows what im talking about

https://goo.gl/maps/V26Sd
  12. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    Fantastic! I've been done that area once before on my street bike and never noticed that there's levy access roads. This will be fun.
  13. astrolump

Oddometer:
    just be careful on holey lands road....last time i was out there some guy came walking up to my gf and i as we were loading our bikes up...and said he just put his firebird in the canal...he was shitfaced..and sure enough there was his car upside down in the water......he could have killed my gf and i if we met him on that road....people drive pretty fast there...actually you will see a memorial to two fwc officers killed in an accident there....so keep your head on a swivel for for the first few miles. actually i usually get on the levee right where the road turns to dirt and you see a gravel parking lot on the left and the wma sign...safer up there.
    the levee road from teh flood gates to snake road is like Jurassic park some days...lots of gators and birds to see...sometimes lots of cottonmouths too ...there is a road under the power lines that parallels the levee to snake road...its rougher and fun to ride...but dead ends and yo have to ride back to the flood gates again...
  14. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back story for that incident.. as it has been told to me... Two officers were patrolling in the middle of the night. They were both on the canal bank not close to each other, but not far. Both radioed they saw someone in the distance. They kept their lights off to stealthy approach and began driving toward the vehicle. They didnt realize they were each looking at each other, and they crashed head on into each other.
  15. astrolump

Oddometer:
    really..that's pretty crazy. just looked it up...they were both wearing seatbelts too... must have been a hell of a crash...and a long rescue time out there.
  16. CSK24

CSK24 adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll explore that route with you thehelios. My bike is out of commission for the next week or two, waiting on a replacement front wheel but I'll be up and running again in no time. PM me and we can setup a time (if you can wait that long!) I'm in Aventura with a big bike so you'll be in good company.
  17. dancecommander

dancecommander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mind getting on that too! I've done Holey lands a few times. Is there a hill to go up? Or dirt maybe? I know sand abound, but been solo on all my rides. This weekend maybe?
  18. CSK24

CSK24 adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't think I'll be back in business by this weekend unfortunately. Waiting on a new front wheel.

If you guys end up going anyway let me know and I'll see if I can borrow a bike from a friend.
  19. Josh Leyburn

Josh Leyburn Shepherd of Cats

Oddometer:
    If you guys set something up I would like to join in, Dania Beach is my current home. It would be great to meet some local adventure riders.
  20. astrolump

Oddometer:
    the other place to get kinda dirty is here
    25.432838, -80.451947
    the squares off card sound road in Florida city....lots of shell rock..some singletrack a bit..or a lot of water depending on rains, even some redneck jumps and little mx tracks..and a few shooting ranges.
    and you can go to Alabama jacks for lunch.
    if you time your ride right you can stop in at homestead raceway for a bike track day and mill around in the pits.
    I usually ride down 27 to get there.
    actually its a pretty good time down there.