South Flatistan

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Eickey, Mar 24, 2008.

1. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no problem...one note.
    when you are in holey lands, when you get to the flood gates. you have to ride across the flood gate..there is a road...and then take the levee road that parallels the powerlines to get on to snake road. you want to be on the road on the same side as the powerlines...the others don't go through.

and before the flood gates...where the pavement ends..just before the bridge.. i usually cross the dirt lot with the wma sign and ride the raised levee road along the canal...safer from crazy drivers up there.
    here is the info on the seafood festival...ill probably be there Saturday..and camp somewhere in the area
    http://www.evergladesseafoodfestival.org/
  2. CSK24

CSK24 adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm having a heck of a time plugging these levee roads into my gps. Garmin doesn't recognize them and keeps running my route thru the main roads around the lake.

Your feedback about which side of the levee to be on is priceless, thanks for that. I'll probably end up scrapping the damn get lost technology and just wing it.

I guess we'll miss you in Everglades City but if you find yourself out there on sunday let me know. Thanks again for the help!
  3. astrolump

Oddometer:
    if you have a smatphone you can download the map tiles into google maps then they will still work when you are out there in the glades...
  4. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:

Did you say you were going Sunday? Looking at Astrolumps cool map (Thanks) I could meet you on 27 where you turn off to huffs bridge road or whatever that is.
    All depends on the clavicle!!!!
  5. CSK24

CSK24 adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sunday's the day!

At this point I'm not entirely certain which route we'll be taking. Astrolump's map is awesome and I've programmed some waypoints on my GPS to follow it, however the Everglades City Seafood Festival is straight out 41 and there are some canals down there (Jane's Scenic also) that would allow us to have some fun on the way to some good grub. I'm going to poll the group to see what the consensus is but I'm leaning toward taking 41 straight out.

That said, I will certainly be checking out Astrolump's adventure at some point in the near future. Just not sure if my group is food or dirt motivated right now. You're more than welcome to join the ride this weekend, I can send you the meeting place if interested.
  6. astrolump

Oddometer:
    if you shoot straight across 41 you can spend time in the squares...much better dirt riding the levee roads...just don't forget to pay the iron ranger
    you can try to find this....[​IMG]

and close to the seafood festival...maybe ill even join you sunday for a bit. ill pm you my #
  7. Fener6

Fener6 The Container Man

Oddometer:
    Looking to buy a new car. Would like to use an auction agent/buyer in the ft. lauderdale - miami area.

Anyone have a reliable contact? Thanks.
  8. dancecommander

dancecommander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 BMW 530xi wagon in green that is in excellent shape. In FLL. Selling it cuz my wife got a new car and we don't really need a wagon.
  9. Fener6

Fener6 The Container Man

Oddometer:
    thx, looking for a specific car though...g37 coupe
  10. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got in a good ride today on the DR. Rode 97 miles and less than 20 on pavement running the canal roads and farm trails. Covered from Ingrahm Hiway (entrance road to Everglades National Park) up to Richmond Road/168th ST and barely touched pavement. Found some good spots for air too!! Jump the bike on a few of them!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hAlGbnJwnH4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride!!!
  13. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    The wife and I rode to Big Cypress Nat'l Park and rode the Loop Road which was nice. Nothing too intense. And wow did I forget how slow normal cars have to go on gravel. 15 MPH speed limit? Pfft. Quadruple that was more like it (no cars were around, I swear!)

On the way back home (Coconut Creek) when driving eastbound on US-41, we crossed one of the canal gates that went across the water and they have an upper and lower level gravel road. It was more intense than the Big Cypress Loop Road as this isn't a tourist "scenic" route. Lot more gravel, lot more bumps, and an unexpected large decline that I thankfully skidded, while riding 2 up, and not fell over. The wife was not happy with that one.

So yeah, if you're looking for a couple mile off road section that's somewhat near civilization, the gravel road on the other side of the Canal at US-41 is a nice spot. Lots of fishing along there as well!
  14. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can run up on the levy itself also, but its a little more intenst 2 up!! I do like blasting down the road at canal level.

At the west end did you notice the monument there? Thats the memorial for the ValuJet flight that crashed out in the Everglades some years back. Its something neat to check out next time you are through there.
  15. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Who was it that got popped by a ranger Sunday a.m. out on Loop?
  16. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:

I did see it. We were wondering what it was and thought it was a Miccosukee thing. Good to know.

Also, the Tenere has very forgiving suspension so it wasn't too bad for her. And I warned her whenever a hole was coming up so she could offset her weight onto the pegs. But holy cow are some of those holes deep!

Attached Files:

17. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    I can confirm it wasn't me:evil

I did run into my namesake up on the ridge however:freaky
    [​IMG]
  18. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Now where's that? I've found plenty of gravel and grass roads but no real dirt roads down here.
  19. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Near Frostproof, a bit north of you:D
  20. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:

LOL.........then you might not want to go out to the Squares on Janes Scenic Drive..............ones on the levy roads and small!!