South Flatistan

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Eickey, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    When did you turn Mejicano? :lol3
  2. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Hangin out in the grove:rofl
  3. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    Someone want to explain to me how all the Mexicans ended up in Lake Worth? I'm from Texas and have to keep going up there to get my legit Tex-Mex fix on.
  4. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I was just up in Frostproof a few weeks ago. Had to take the dog, so we took the dog's ride:

[​IMG]
  5. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    They can't tell the difference between Lake Worth and Fort Worth!!!
  6. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  7. Meteos

Meteos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I'm moving up to NYC this week and am facing the harsh realities of limited space at maximum cost. Because of this, I am trying to sell my extra dual sport helmet. MSR size medium. Never crashed or dropped, but it looks like a spare helmet should look like. Plus, the pads need to be washed. 2 years old.
    $20 and it is all yours....
    Not perfect, but well worth $20.
    check craigslist miami for MSR helmet...

Anybody interested?
  8. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    If you're driving up north and you pass by Broward/Palm Beach counties, I'll gladly take that off your hands. I'm stupid busy this week and have no time to drive all the way down south. (If it's that blue/yellow helmet on CL, then you've already got my number from before :evil)
  9. Josh Leyburn

Josh Leyburn Shepherd of Cats

Oddometer:
    So, just want to throw this out there.
    Is there anyone who would be interested in a ride@shoot? I've been in broward county for 3 years and almost never get to go shooting anymore.:cry Maybe head north or west? Anybody know of a good spot where you can go an not get hassled?
  10. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    markham park?
  11. Josh Leyburn

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to find a non-commercial place, Its just a lot more fun when you and a few friends and can go out and shoot whatever you want. And cleanup afterwards of course:deal
  12. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ive seen a lot of people shooting in the "squares" down in florida city off card sound road...but I would have to imagine it is not exactly legal...though it may be. However I do not think I would shoot there.
    I found a spot south of the speedway where there were thousands of shell casings and lots of left behind targets.
    other than that i know of no place you can shoot legally except at range in south Florida...I spent some time looking, and talking with leo's and rangers a few years ago when i was looking to shoot some black powder revolvers....I never found anyplace i was 100% sure was legal. I was even hastled while playing paintball at the old WD ranch years ago..its on the border of big cypress....by some state leo horny to make something out of nothing.

the greater everglades area is either a national park or some other sort of state or federal land, or indian res. in the wma's you can only shoot while hunting i believe. so its pretty much either a buddy with private land or a range....there is a nice free range in the Ocala national forest...but its a ways away.

just please be sure you are legal...I think the penalty for unlawful discharge of a firearm are quite steep in FL.
  13. Josh Leyburn

Oddometer:
    Yea, I have had the same luck unfortunately, There is a place I can go near Okeechobee, but that is a long and boring ride/drive. I was hoping there was something on the west coast side of the state or a little closer.
  14. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not so much the discharge you have to worry about, its more the armed trespassing which can get not only land you in jail but your motorcycle forfeited as being used in the commision of a felony.
  15. dancecommander

dancecommander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jleyburn, today on my ride back from the north, I saw on the canal road, 2 pickups set up with tables and rifles and targets. Also when I reached the Holey lands I saw 4 trucks, obviously with no fear of being caught for anything as there kids with 2 of the four trucks and huge guns. One was set up for sure with a .50 cal as he was sure to fire as I passed. Big throttle and big rounds at the same time! was very exciting. It was noted by me that the guy was shooting a cannon!! There must be light regs on shooting in the Holey lands? This is only observations as passing shooters at 60mph while raining in the management areas.
  16. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the whole shooting question and the mention of the 'squares' east of Florida City.

Most all of the roads out there are legal open but not improved or maintained roads. That's why the LEOs occasionally go out there and issue tickets to the four wheelers and side by sides running around. But it is mostly condone and they rarely hassle them. A properly plated DS will not be an issue.

With that said, you are basically pulling up on city/county/state land that's not in a park, except as you get deeper south and east, then you run onto FPL land and state protected land. The main road, 137 Ave/Speedway has the no trespassing signs going off the road but not on the road, but those start south of where the east/west roads stop. Lots of people go shoot out there, enough waste on the ground that it scares me how much shooting does occur. I have ran up on folks out there like previously mentioned that had some serious firepower, no cannons though. Couple of local buddies shoot out there and haven't been hassled, but cant confirm legal or not. So I am guessing FWC pushes it about like they do the 4 wheelers, only occasionally. There is a lot of criss crossing roads out theres, so if you do head out there to shoot be very careful of your direction. Could easily be someone riding through the treeline you are shooting at.

I ride down 137th Ave quite often and have never seen the LEOs hassle shooters, but then again is usually weekday evenings. I use it as a distraction on my ride home from work.
  17. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    I'm up for going shooting some time, but I'd rather drive my weapons out than ride one over on a bike.
  18. Josh Leyburn

Oddometer:
    Where do you hail from?
  19. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    pompano
  20. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer: