South I say... Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by battdoc, Sep 15, 2018.

1. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year to all. May new year bring you more rides and joy!!!
    LoneStar and sandsman like this.
  2. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto!

BTW my bike did bizarre things in the altitude in the Andes - lights quit working, brake pressure went away, Clearwater lights went crazy, odd engine noises, etc then a day later it would be normal... must be the high altitude mojo
    battdoc, 95Monster and GeoAggie like this.
  3. Rubinski

Rubinski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Battdoc, I have a 2015 GS Adventure. Yours 2017 is pretty much like mine. They are tubeless. The Mushroom plugs work perfect. I used them on my beemer as well as on my Harley! You can't go wrong with them if you can find them in South America!!!
    battdoc likes this.
  4. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Altitude is a real thing for modern bikes too, Jason's CB500X (FI) loses power above 13000. My bike has done well, except the glitching ignition switch and false lamp failure warnings. I guess it is all part of the fun, hopefully all goes well rest of the way.
    95Monster likes this.
  5. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Actually mine is 2015 as well, and I'm packing mushroom plugs. Hope I don't need them.
  6. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW … Thanks for a great ride report!!
    battdoc likes this.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Feliz Año Nirbhai. Love your photos and descriptios.
    Has George/95Monster surfaced yet?
    battdoc and 95Monster like this.
  8. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    He has, we had a lunch and a dinner together. He is riding with @Sascha and Kirsten, they are in Bolivia right now. Jason and I visited Machu Picchu yesterday. Back in Cusco, will be back on the road tomorrow.
    Cheers! IMG_4747.jpg
  9. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Milling around in Cusco, chased down the Monster @95Monster.

I have been in Cusco since the 30th. It has been a nice break and I caught up with George and Sascha. Jason @tferguson showed up a day later and we have been hanging out at El Tuco hostel. Owner Coco and his staff are amazing, and they all speak English. He has a small secure area for a couple of bikes as well. $18 a night very clean rooms, fast wifi and hot showers. 10 minute walk to the main square and a decent mercado within 2 minutes.
    On Monday, George messaged me a we got together for lunch. I guess eating Cuy (Guinea Pig) is a thing to do in Cusco. As we got a table, Jason showed up as well and we all ordered Cuy. None of us liked it. But it is checked off the list for good. IMG_4699.jpg IMG_4700.jpg IMG_4701.jpg
  10. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, cuy was a bad idea. Lets try steak in Argentina.
  11. tferguson

tferguson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, just next time don't show me a cute picture of a calf right before we eat! Haha
    95Monster and battdoc like this.
  12. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Jason and I went back to the square to check out new year's festivities. It was crowded and fire works were at display.
    IMG_4733.jpg IMG_4721.jpg
  13. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Jason and I had to find our way to Machu Picchu. Due to conflicting reports of a bridge collapse, we opted to go with a tour company. Coco was was nice enough to keep our bikes and luggage while we go away for a night. Wednesday we took a 6 hour bumpy bus ride to Hydro Electrica and walked 9 KM to Aguas Calientes for night stay. Our tour company never told us where we stay at night or name of our guide. Welcome to Peru. We got to the Plaza in AC and waited for our names to be called for hotel. There were about 200 other people doing the same thing. After an hour wait we found our guide and our hotel. They actually put us in a nice hotel and dinner was provided as well. To our surprise Aguas Caliente was a decent size town with everything you would need.
    IMG_4757.jpg IMG_4753.jpg IMG_4776.jpg IMG_4783.jpg
    mrfishingrod and 95Monster like this.
  14. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Next morning we were up at 4:30 to be at the trail head and hike dreaded 2 KM uphill climb. First half hour was brutal and then my heart was awake for the challenge. We got up there to find out a whole bunch of people waiting to get in. I guess they have changed the time table and grouping starting January 1st and people have not adjusted to it. But then again, why would you have any type of system at the most coveted tourist spot on the planet.
    Then our guide showed up with a flag and we followed her to the sight. A guide is required for the first two hours of your tour at the sight. MP is amazing, but way too many people there all at once. Everyone is busy taking their selfies, every young lady was a model at the sight. Poor llamas, or may be they enjoy that kind of attention.
    Wow - is the first impression once you get a glimpse of the town. Mountain peaks surrounded by clouds and the history makes it a special place.
    P1050162.JPG P1050198.JPG P1050191.JPG P1050199.JPG
  15. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    I'm amazed at Incan ingenuity; it is hard to believe the way they were able to shape these stones and construct such marvel.
    P1050225.JPG P1050211.JPG P1050209.JPG P1050207.JPG
    'Bob', 95Monster and joenuclear like this.
  16. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Sun dial shaped out a monolith.
    P1050218.JPG P1050217.JPG
    roadcapDen, DavidM1 and jowul like this.
  17. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Jason and I had to get at least one touristy shot.
    IMG_4812.jpg IMG_4844.jpg IMG_4849.jpg IMG_4808.jpg
    95Monster, Mofrid and joenuclear like this.
  18. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Condor temple and Inca trail bridge;
    IMG_4876.jpg IMG_4841.jpg
    Cal and joenuclear like this.
  19. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    We got done and reluctantly started our walk do the hill. It was quicker coming down but knees were paying for it. We made it to the tracks and took a break. We still had to walk 8 KM back to Hydro Electra to catch our bus back to Cusco. Walk back was brutal, both of us were tired but wanted to get it over with. Before our pick up spot, we stopped for a bite. We faced the same system, to find our guide and waited for our names to be called for the bus ride. Finally we got in the bus as the rain started to add flavor to the day. Our aggressive bus driver got us in Cusco little after 10:00 PM. We took a taxi to the hostel, showered and climbed in our beds. Tomorrow will be a recovery day.
    Some random pics from Cusco;
    IMG_4740.jpg IMG_4743.jpg P1050142.JPG P1050133.JPG
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    special place indeed! They say that sundial used to be covered in gold and that is how MP was rediscovered. Some one saw the light reflecting of the sundial. In 2006 I did the whole 5 day hike, glad you at least walked part way.
    battdoc likes this.