South I say... Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by battdoc, Sep 15, 2018.

1. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Monday; A better day..

We rode our bikes to welding shop, the mechanic did a great job straightening and welding Jason’s luggage rack. I used a vise and straighten the windshield brackets back. Used a long pipe to bend back my handle bars, that really didn’t work. Mechanic was able to fix my top case to the point that the lid functions and locks. I left all the crash bars alone, because I know nothing will align back if I took it apart. I’m actually surprised the bike didn't sustain more damage the way it went tumbling.

We paid the mechanic and rode back to the hotel, re-assembled things, loaded up and got on the road to the Bolivian border around 2:00 PM. Leaving Puno was a same mess of Peruvian drivers, honking for nothing, giving us no room. We were both losing our patience and yelling at them. It was a relief to get away from the madness. My bike feels okay to ride, just awkward to ride with left arm extended due to the bent handlebars.

I was actually excited to see a border crossing and getting out of Peru alive. I had all my visa stuff in line, we even got our TIP filled out on-line which helped. Stamped out of Peru, paid $160 to Bolivia and we are in Copacobana today. What a fucking relief. Found our hostel, we were both hungry and also needed to find an ATM. Jason found a Thai restaurant for dinner, which was really good, had a real meal in days. Life seemed batter today, hope it goes smoothly from here.
    MKBDesertRat, aesull, 'Bob' and 6 others like this.
  2. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    We stayed in Copacobana today as well, Jason wanted to catch up on some things and I went on a boat ride to Isla del Sol (Sun Island). I came back around 5:30, made an adjustment to the windscreen. Went out and had Italian pasta dinner today. Ready to roll tomorrow, destination La Paz. Bring on the death road!!
  3. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Some pics on the way to Puno before the crash..
    P1050253.JPG P1050251.JPG P1050250.JPG
    aesull, Saso, jowul and 1 other person like this.
  4. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    I'll have to wait for better wifi to post more pictures.
    Some of you wanted to know how the TKC70 tires performed for me; I got the these tires in Mexico and the set lasted me 8361 miles. I think that is a great mileage considering the road conditions and abuse they endured. The rear actually had some more miles left on it, I replaced the set due to a puncture in the front. Plus I wanted little more bite on the new set. This was my first set of TKC70, and it performed well in wet, mud and gravel.
    yokesman likes this.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    happy to hear on the outcome of the tumbling match, didn't sound good at the first. Ride safe, remember you always have your family along so be extra aware. a thought that needs reminding often. Something about motorcycles that gets us to push it, whether speed, sight distance, braking distance or road conditions. My wife is on behind me so the reminder for me is near at hand. Be safe.
    battdoc likes this.
  6. Slick13

Slick13 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the updates @battdoc and @tferguson, the first report of your accident had me concerned for what was to come.

Glad that you're both ok, and that you're back on the road. Keep charging lads, we're looking out for you both.
    battdoc and tferguson like this.
  7. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, firstly glad your both ok, could of been worse, continue to stay safe. All the best.

Thanks for all detail in your posts it's helping us out.
    battdoc and tferguson like this.
  8. SonoraDave

SonoraDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F4B49C9D-AB48-4288-9633-4B7666DE0240.png Hi Singh, I’m enjoying your ride report and glad you guys are doing fine after the spill. Just out of curiosity are you finding the BMW was a good choice for this trip or do you ever long for your WR 250 when dealing with the congested roadways and traffic?
    battdoc likes this.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are you doing, any complications? There was no point intended on the previous comment, but was something my Dad n I did whenever an situation arose, learng from each others riding experiences. hopefully gaining knowledge- mental exercise as Pilot training was mostly , emergency procedures practiced.
    battdoc likes this.
  10. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave - very nice to hear from you. I'm happy with my choice, GSA provides long fuel range and comfort. If I was in my thirties I would have considered the WR. At this stage in my life with two spine surgeries and a shoulder procedure, comfort is a necessity.
    Cheers!
    SonoraDave likes this.
  11. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Hi yokeman - Both of us are mending quite well, we rode the death road toady. It was funny, we both lost each other and had to ride separately. Jason has a lot more time to spend around here. so I'm back to solo from tomorrow on. Both bikes are mechanically solid, mine has more peripheral damage that Jason's bike.
    P1050257.JPG P1050255.JPG P1050254.JPG
    SavannahCapt, roadcapDen and yokesman like this.
  12. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Lake Titicaca from Copacobana. We stayed in at La Cupla, very nice place. Clean rooms with hot water, kitchen, restaurant on sight. Close to the main square, market and other eateries.
    P1050261.JPG P1050269.JPG P1050262.JPG P1050263.JPG
    jowul, Oldschoolrocker and yokesman like this.
  13. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    We got in La Paz yesterday, staying in El Alto. Elevation is kicking my tail, fingers are tingly and climbing stairs is a task. Hostel San Seabatian is a good spot, owner David is very helpful. Since no one in La Paz will sell you fuel, he went to a gas station and brought me 20 liters of fuel.
    Today was a Death Road day. Jason and I left early to get her done. We did not know it will be freaking cold and foggy in direction. We stopped to put rain gear on, Jason went up a mirador for a picture. I thought he hit the road and was ahead of me. I took off and lost each other. So we road the death road separately. In my opinion there is way too much hoopla about this road. There were so many other roads on this trip that were far more dangerous. I think this one should be left alone for mountain bicyclist anymore. They were the only danger in my way toady and Jason said the same thing. Next update may be a few days, headed to Uyuni tomorrow. Back to solo because Jason is going in a different direction from here.
    P1050295.JPG P1050296.JPG P1050299.JPG P1050291.JPG
  14. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Left La Paz early and made it to Uyuni, stopped by Salar de Uyuni to scope for possible riding conditions. The entrance had 6-8 inches of water, so made the decision not to take a chance. Got into town, found a shelter for two nights. Ride to Uyuni was nice, once I got out of La Paz, sky looked mad, but luckily road kept bending away from it. The stretch of highway 30 is very nice, enjoyable landscape and Guanacos running around all over the place.
    P1050300.JPG P1050302.JPG P1050301.JPG P1050307.JPG
  15. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    After settling in at the hostel, I took a ride to check out the rail cemetery. Uyuni is dusty and very touristy at the same time. Overall I like what I have seen in Bolivia. Pretty rugged and beautiful in many ways. Since I chose not to ride the Salar, bought a one day tour ticket for tomorrow.
    P1050315.JPG P1050313.JPG P1050321.JPG P1050324.JPG
  16. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Guess where the tour starts; Yup - The Train Cemetery. And it was crowded with people. Selfie sticks everywhere. Land of Land Cruisers here. P1050335.JPG P1050341.JPG P1050334.JPG
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  17. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    After the Cemetery we checked out Colchani artisan market. Then Salar hotel for lunch.
    P1050360.JPG P1050371.JPG P1050368.JPG P1050367.JPG
    roadcapDen, codebot, jowul and 3 others like this.
  18. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boy o boy!! What a trip you are on!! You never fail to amaze me...just keep going and going. Pretty frickin’ cool thats for sure..on a mission! I am DIGGIN’ all of it and am glad you have been safe. Cheers!!
    battdoc likes this.
  19. KenBob1955

KenBob1955 n00b

Oddometer:
    This is where I started my trip in 2015! Headed south through the mountains to San Pedro de Atacama CL then to Argentina with my Chilean brothers. Enjoy the twists into Argentina and be safe!
    battdoc likes this.
  20. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Still in Salar, this place is amazing. P1050379.JPG P1050374.JPG P1050378.JPG P1050389.JPG
    holckster and jowul like this.