South I say... In Peru

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by battdoc, Sep 15, 2018.

1. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Holla Inmates!

My name is Nirbhai Bhinder. I’m pointed south with no particular plans or agenda.

Bike – 2015 1200GSA

Packing – Tools, some parts, camping stuff (just in case) and essential clothing

Riding gear - Revit Poseidon, Sidi Adventure Boots, Schulbirth E1

Got all my shots and a travel pack from the doc

Kaiser’s travel dept mailed a whole tree, 200 pages of warnings which got shredded. I’m Indian, ate dirt growing up.

I leave home (Stockton CA) tomorrow and head to AZ and will cross the wall at Agua Prieta. Stay tuned…

My Story

Born and raised in Punjab India. I was 26 when I left India and landed in California. Marriage, kids, work and life in general; I have no idea where last 28 years of my life disappeared.

Being an Indian two wheels are part of daily life. Dad had a 230 CC 2 stroke Jawa. Move to America had me in a tail spin for almost two decades working and supporting a family. Not complaining about it, this is path I chose for myself. Being first generation immigrant there is an adjustment period and whole lot of other stuff that I don’t want to get into. Consequently there was long drought from riding.

So a boy from Punjab worked odd jobs, then some good ones and became a dad, a business man, and finally a rider in 2009. My first ride was 2008 M109R2. Then a few motorcycles in between and some saddle time, I craved more riding. One night I stumble onto my asylum; “ADV forum” and read my first ride report by metaljockey -https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-wife-the-ex-and-the-kid-do-namibia.517112/ . I was hooked, wanted to get away from everything and just ride. But the claws of life are not letting me go.

A couple more years bite the dust, now my sons (Shawn & Taj) are in high school and started to help out with the business, a game changer for dad. My little helpers gave me wings. Few short rides became week long rides and then in 2016 I was able to get away for 35 days and rode to AK up and back. In 2017 we celebrated our 25th marriage anniversary in Europe and rented a GS from Edelweiss in Austria. Time away from daily grind gave me a new perspective in life. My American dream took a turn; possessions, ownerships staring to taste funny. Wife calls it my mid-age crisis.

My wife is an educator and was not involved in the business. I sowed the seeds of my plan, worked diligently to convince her that this is perfect time to sell the business and hit a reset button. At first she thought this is crazy idea and will have negative consequence. But persistence paid off, she finally said yes. I was the happiest dude alive that day. This was almost like the day she said YES, the first time.

Business sold, honey-do list completed (For Now). I got my freedom ticket to Saouuuth!

I leave home tomorrow and head to AZ to cross the wall. Stay tuned…..
  2. codebot

codebot Long time lurker, n00b poster

Oddometer:
    Ha.. I found it and I am following.

Now that you've released the genie, sometime in the future you will have to post your packing set up. Furthermore, remember the old saying, "pics or it didn't happen". :beer
    battdoc likes this.
  3. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Sat sri akal and ride safe.
    battdoc likes this.
  4. Krider1

Krider1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great story to get me hooked. love life and enjoy your dream I'm 4th gen. Irish/American Indian mix my family migrated here in 1870's to Arkansas and Oklahoma during WWII moved west to California. I'm 56 now been working same job since I was 18 planning on shipping my Beemer to Europe when I retire see where My dependents came from.
    toowoomba and battdoc like this.
  5. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on down, Nirbhai. We're waiting for you : )
    ScotsFire, Beenriding and battdoc like this.
  6. littleAdv

littleAdv n00b

Oddometer:
    Have fun Nirbhai. I'll see you when you get back.

-Sherwin
  7. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Spent most of the day hanging out with family and friends. Love sharing time with family, but not a fan of saying bye to everyone. This is the first time I'll be away from my wife and kids for an extended period. Have mixed emotions for tomorrow, very excited and apprehensive at the same time. It has been a long day, time to enjoy some warmth and my own pillow. Just a few more hours away now..
    Foiler, THE BOLIVIAN and fasttortoise like this.
  8. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Thanks Shwinator.
  9. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You talking about the night she said YES to sleep with you, or the night she said YES to marry you? :lol3
  10. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Forgive me for not being proper, I did not take any pics of my packing. I'll post a list, give me a couple of days. And yes pics will come coming soon.
  11. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Both - now, as I have aged, excitement comes in different packages. I have learned to play the game a bit, although there might be a pay back later.
    SPX likes this.
  12. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Day one is in the books made it to Henderson NV. Spending the night a friend's house. Left home around 7:15, quick bye to the family and I was on the road. 99 has be the ass crack of Ca, so boring and hot. 58 thriugh Mojave was hotter yet. I did not stop much, except for fuel once and at a rest area to stretch my legs a bit. I got in Hendersomn around 4:00 pm. Spent last 5 hours taking about our college days back home in India.
    I know I'm disappointing you guys for not posting any pics, they will start soon I promise. Time to get some shut eye, I have another long day tomorrow.
    interceptor1972, fasttortoise and SPX like this.
  13. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    in
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    This will be good. :lurk
    battdoc likes this.
  15. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In :dirtdog
    battdoc likes this.
  16. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    In Bisbee AZ. Really cool little town, tucked in litlle hills. I'm beat though, left Henderson 8:30 ish. I knew AZ is hot, but man 113 going through Phoenix, engine temp gauge reached 226 at one point and I was soaked in sweat form head to toes. Got a room at Castlerock Inn. This place is cool built in 1895 and home to the Apache well that was resulted form a mine shaft under the castle rock across the street. After a cold shower, walked around a bit and a bite to eat at a Mexican joint which was satisfying. Some shots from this evening.. P1000133.JPG P1000132.JPG P1000131.JPG P1000123.JPG
  17. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    P1000125.JPG P1000130.JPG P1000120.JPG

Attached Files:

18. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    With my freind Gurjit this morning in Herderson NV IMG_0796.JPG
  19. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    I'll check in tomorrow from the other side of the wall.

Cheers!
  20. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    I'll find you in Morelia Romero?