South I say... In Peru

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by battdoc, Sep 15, 2018.

1. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checking in. Today was a first whole day without rain in Panama City since 16th November. It is hot and very humid. Can't wait to fly out on Sunday and bail out my horse from Colombian Custody.
    caliform likes this.
  2. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    The Gap Problem

Sharing a container to ship your vehicle

I suggest contacting Boris at Ever Logistics to start with. His dad and he are well connected as they have been doing this over ten years. He can help you with any questions regarding container shipping.

Boris G. Jaramillo

Ever Logistics, Inc.

e-mail: sales3@everlogistics.net

e-mail: boris_jaramillo@hotmail.com

Phone: (507) 431-0390 / 431-0391 / 431-0392 / 431-0393 / 431-0394

Fax : (507) 431-0395

Cel.: (507) 6213-3485

You can also use these resources to find container partners to share the financial burden;

https://containerbuddies.bubbleapps.io/

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=panamerican travelers association

https://www.facebook.com/groups/332470130860439/ (Alaska to Ushuaia by Moto 2018-2019)

Go to the DIJ inspection place to meet other overlanders.

I got lucky when I checked in at Bodhi Hostel in Panama City. I met Lucas and his girlfriend Dominica (Riding KLR from NY to Ushuaia). Lucas had done all the leg work and had two other shipping partners lined up. I was not on the list but with their help I was able to fit my bike in the same container. In the end it helps everyone to share the cost.

You do need a police inspection prior to loading your vehicle. Panama City DIJ (Direccion de Investidaciones Judiciales)

For the inspection you will need 2 sets of copies of the following documents:

1.Title of the vehicle

2.TVIP

3.Passport

In your iOverlander app, set the filter to Customs and Immigration. Then open the map and zoom in you will find DIJ 1 and DIJ 2. iOverlander has all the details about the place in Panama City, what documents are needed and other important info. Get there before 6:00 am to get in line, they only inspect 25 vehicle a day.

Once your inspection is done, you will need 5 copies of the following for the logistics company;

1. Passport (main Page)

2. TVIP

3. Insurance Certificate (that you purchased at the border)

4. Inspection Certificate

5. Vehicle Title

6. Vehicle Registration

For now my share of the container is $260. This does not include any cost on the Colombian side. Basically all partners will have to agree on their share by space occupied by their vehicle. My flight to Cartagena $113 (Wingo) and extra hostel stay $62 for 4 nights in a dorm. I have not kept track of food and transportation for extra stay here. Hostel provides breakfast and with full kitchen access I have cooked my meals for the most part. I’ll post details once I get the bike cleared in Cartagena.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
  3. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I landed in Turbo and went south so did not get to Cartagena or the beaches northeast. But heading south -Santa Fe de Antioquia, Salento, Cali, Popoyan, San Agustin, Villavieja are all great towns! I think you'll like it here. We'll probably get back to Cali next Tuesday or Wednesday then head to the border to Ecuador Friday.
    battdoc likes this.
  4. caliform

caliform Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet this time of year you'd just be happy to get out of the humid Caribbean area. We'll be there in a few days... I already can't wait to ride away from it :D

Great detailing of your steps, battdoc. This'll prove invaluable for many fellow travelers.
    battdoc likes this.
  5. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Thanks George, can't wait to see my bike again. At the mercy of Colombian customs, hope to be in the saddle soon. I might have riding buddies for a few days. Lucas and his girlfriend Dominica from Poland on their KLR. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  6. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    I forgot one important fact - when you visit any office(Police, immigration/customs etc) in Panama and Colombia, they have a dress code. No tank tops, shorts, cut up jeans or sandals/open shoes are allowed. They are very serious about this. So make sure you dress properly or they will send you back. We were lectured about the whole thing. One young German fellow had to buy a pair of pants on the spot yesterday for an appointment, he walked in wearing shorts and was told to leave. Fun stuff.

Later
    alexf800gs, powderzone and GregDavidL like this.
  7. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Finally made it to South America. Endured a hot and very humid week without my ride in Panama. Now it is time to enjoy Cartagena. I'm already liking the vibe here lively and less humid. Waiting game has begun, the shipping company e-mailed us that the container was at the port since yesterday. But the logistics fellow in Cartagena told us to meet him Tuesday to start the customs process. We were hoping to get in there tomorrow, but that is how things go around here. You just have to be patient.
    Lucas and I booked rooms at the same hotel in Cartagena. Very nice hotel, but in a rough neighborhood. So we will find a different place tomorrow. After checking in we went to the old city and walked around. It looks a lot like Mexico. Live music, people walking around and having fun.
    P1030946.JPG P1030942.JPG P1030987.JPG P1030952.JPG
  8. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    We continued to walk enjoying the change in the weather and scenery. All three of us are happy to be here.

P1030943.JPG P1030939.JPG P1030984.JPG P1030970.JPG
    SavannahCapt and GregDavidL like this.
  9. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    My eyes and camera did not want to stop. P1030960.JPG P1030978.JPG P1030969.JPG P1030959.JPG
    jowul, NSFW and GregDavidL like this.
  10. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed our first sun set in Colombia.
    P1040003.JPG P1040022.JPG P1040043.JPG P1040042.JPG
  11. Rubinski

Rubinski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you battoc for your postings. These are awesome!! I'm happy for you that you are in Cartagena now. I am looking forward to hearing how the end result of the cost for shipping and your cost for your plane ticket to Cartagena come out to. I'm taking two months to do this trip next October but it seems like you have been on the road since September 16th, I may need to regroup and wait till December. That's when I retire and can take my time to get to Argentina. How do you plan on returning back to Compton? Flying your bike back?
    battdoc likes this.
  12. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    For some reason I did not have any burgers in last two months. Dominica picked a burger joint for dinner today and man it tasted so good, I might go back for more tomorrow. After dinner we walked a bit more to make room for some ice cream. We are in a celebratory mood for now.

P1040037.JPG P1040028.JPG P1040032.JPG P1040031.JPG
  13. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you still rolling and enjoying
    battdoc likes this.
  14. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Checking in again and enjoying your report
    battdoc likes this.
  15. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Still in Cartagena and not riding yet. I think we made some progress toady to get our bikes back from the port authority. It is a daunting task, people behind their desks just do not want to do anything. They rather ignore you and play with their phone or converse with another co-worker. Most frustrating thing is no clear directions to do anything here. Colombia moves at its own pace.
    We have an appointment to open the container tomorrow. I'll post details once I'm through the whole ordeal.

Cheers!
  16. Rubinski

Rubinski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time means nothing in South America. They are just like in Mexico. It gets very frustrating when I go down to Mexico and visit my cousins. You just have to go along with it. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Can't wait to hear how it all goes and what your total cost was.
    battdoc likes this.
  17. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    every place it seems has a "this is _____", place the countries name in the blanks. But that is what makes travel so _____exciting.
    BUt when I stop questioning the seemly lack of desire to conduct business n go on, this doesnt work too well at times since they have the francise on the particular business, in this case Im waitig to hear about the warehousing fee for said days of delay.
  18. james1001

james1001 Florida bound

Oddometer:
    Just found your trip report, great information. How is the coffee in Columbia?
    battdoc likes this.
  19. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    I just found your report as well. I'm glad you're enjoying Colombia so far and I hope you get the bikes out soon!
  20. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checking in. Not a coffee connoisseur, It tastes pretty good in the morning. Too strong at times though.