South India on Royal Enfield Himalayan

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GF-kam, Dec 28, 2018.

1. voodoochilled

voodoochilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We probably will be a bit further up North than you were but excited to trip plan nevertheless. The plan is to hit Royal Enfield Ridermania 2019 (India's version of Sturgis, a Royal Enfield lovefest for RE fanboys and fangirls) for three days in north Goa and then head back along the coast.

upload_2019-1-8_18-26-14.png
    yokesman and GF-kam like this.
  2. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BOLLYWOOD KARAOKE & PARTYING

We arrived at our hotel in Goa around 5:30 p.m.. By the time we putzed around with room arrangements it was around 6:30 p.m. I had a number of room and key issues. So I decided to checkout the pool in the evening. Nice to get out of the riding gear and cool off in the pool. It was dark at this point. Pool all to myself. I needed some cooling off.

Pool facing Salt River and Betul beach.

[​IMG]IMG_20181203_101143707 by Kam A, on Flickr

Nice little oasis off the beaten path in south Goa. You'll need a car to get around.
    [​IMG]IMG_8150 by Kam A, on Flickr

Not sure where the rest of the motley crew went. I grabbed a few drinks at the bar and got into some dry clothes. Nice place.

[​IMG]IMG_8147 by Kam A, on Flickr

Bar.

[​IMG]IMG_8153 by Kam A, on Flickr

After the big late lunch I decided to skip dinner and head back to the bar. Hardly a sole around other than my Russian next door neighbor .

The Mayfair looked barely booked. Beautiful bar, media room / library, and dinning room. Hardly any other guests. I was the only one around the bar till Vidur and Archana showed up. I guess we all had a liquid dinner in mind. I think in India they call it getting high. Good minds think alike :beer

[​IMG]

After all, what else does one do at Goa. Kidding. Among other things.

I think sometime around 9 p.m., SANVIC the one man band started playing music at the bar. It didn't take long before " Chili " jumped in to sing some of her favorite Bollywood songs. I recollect she mentioned at one point she knew the lyrics to 600 songs. Wow! From what I gather it's an Indian thing. Badge of honor. Comes in handy for games like "name that tune."

The star came out that evening. The talent was shinning at the Mayfair that night. A few guests and staff came out of the woodwork to hear what was going on. Everyone was stargazing.

20 minutes of solid singing and that's the slightly edited version. Outstanding performance. Bravo !! Encore !

[​IMG]

I am glad we found some good footage. One of the more memorable evenings.
    Balanda, Richarde1605 and yokesman like this.
  3. V1ROT8

V1ROT8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stunning photos. Lots of great info. India is a definite "must". I found myself saying that about a lot of place lately... Scotland, Romania, South America, India, Japan...
    GF-kam likes this.
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DAY 11 ( December 1 ): Morning of day 1 in South Goa.

Some shots I took first morning walking around the Mayfair Resort property. I am glad I paced myself last night. No crazy headache from last night's epic Bollywood music concert.

View looking out towards the Salt River inlet, Betul Beach, and Arabian Sea.
    [​IMG]IMG_8174 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_8171 by Kam A, on Flickr

Looks like small fishing village directly across way.
    [​IMG]IMG_8172 by Kam A, on Flickr

At low tide, the inlet is barely navigable.
    [​IMG]IMG_8188 by Kam A, on Flickr

No beach access directly from resort.
    [​IMG]IMG_8184 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_8181 by Kam A, on Flickr

After breakfast we take a 90 minute ride up to Basilica of Bom Jesus in Bainguinim. The main attraction is the oldest christian church built by Portuguese. Built in 1594 and holds the remains of St. Francis Xavier. Yes, on the UNESCO World Heritage list.
    [​IMG]DSCN1990 by Kam A, on Flickr

The day we showed up was the big festivals of festivals.
    [​IMG]DSCN1983 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1989 by Kam A, on Flickr

Nearby market.
    [​IMG]DSCN1972 by Kam A, on Flickr

I managed to snag a few shots inside the old church before reading the sign " No pictures."
    [​IMG]DSCN1986 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1987 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1985 by Kam A, on Flickr

Looks like a newer church across the old church.
    [​IMG]DSCN1982 by Kam A, on Flickr

We saw three beaches during our stay. This was a preview of fist one. Candolim Beach, Goa.
    [​IMG]DSCN2007 by Kam A, on Flickr

...more to come.
    chinditone, Balanda, Saso and 8 others like this.
  5. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cont. Day 11: Candolim Beach

After some sightseeing in Old Goa, we headed for Candolim Beach. About 40 minute ride. The temps on the beach were around 90+ Fahrenheit.
    [​IMG]DSCN2003 by Kam A, on Flickr

The beaches themselves are beautiful. You typically see a number of shacks along beach with beach loungers. These so called shacks are really modest restaurants that serve drinks and food. Some also have very modest overnight accommodations.
    [​IMG]DSCN2002 by Kam A, on Flickr

At noon, the sand was a little hot to walk on. So, if you're tired of the cold winter weather back in the northern hemisphere ( U.S. ), this is where you could be. 90+ degrees.
    [​IMG]DSCN2010 by Kam A, on Flickr

The booze and beer flow at beaches in India. Nobody condones it. One of these more modest beach shacks.
    [​IMG]DSCN2009 by Kam A, on Flickr

Since we hadn't planned on swimming, nobody brought their bathing suits. Sitting in the direct sun wasn't an option. So, we found the closest shack and sat around drinking for few hours. Even in the shade, you could feel that heat.
    [​IMG]C3FD08A5-A924-4058-93AA-3D5705F76375-3 by Kam A, on Flickr

After a bite, we walked towards downtown Candolim. As with most beaches, Candolim Beach caters to foreigners and tourists. The main street is dotted with restaurants and stores. There are a number of western beach resorts in Candolim. I had a hankering for ice cream, so we found Newton's Supermarket. One of the nicer and well stocked supermarkets I saw entire trip. They had everything. The entire first level seemed to be wine, beer, liquor, and other non alcoholic beverages. One stop shopping for sure.
    [​IMG]DSCN2015 by Kam A, on Flickr

You can tell Vidur is hot.
    [​IMG]DSCN2016 by Kam A, on Flickr

I found the security differences very interesting. Outside of Newton's market, a guard checks in your bags, backpacks, and other belongings. Then he locks them up in a locker and gives you a key. I suspect this serves two purposes.

Someone in our motley crew wanted to see an Indian McDonald's and menu. We found one at a mall just outside Candolim. Called Mall de Goa http://malldegoa.com. You can tell from next few photos that the malls in India look just like ours. The same stores, Gucci, Tommy Hilfiger, Dunkin Donuts, and even McDonald's. Moreover, you can get a sense how big and rapidly growing the Indian middle class is becoming. Economists speculate over the numbers. But, the estimates range from 50 to 300 million. You can definitely feel and see the momentum in Bengaluru ( Bangalore ). India's population is shy of 1.4 billion....with a B. In about one third the footprint of U.S.A. To give you a sense the total population of North American, South America, and Europe combined is around 1.5 billion. So yes, on any good day there are probably more Royal Infields, refrigerators, cars, bikes, phones, McDonald's veggie burgers, etc. sold in India than anywhere else. China might be in first place.

[​IMG]DSCN2019 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN2018 by Kam A, on Flickr

We ended up at the Mall de Goa a little longer than expected. I guess good excuse to grab some gifts. Big price arbitrage on things like silk scarfs.

By the time we hit the road, we ran into a fair amount of rush hour traffic. I think it was around 8 p.m. and we still had a ways to go before getting back to our hotel near Betul. Eventually we found a small roadside food place with a small liquor store next door. Turned out to be quite good. Bonus !

[​IMG]DSCN2021 by Kam A, on Flickr

I am the lightweight behind the Corona while the others are drinking a real KingFisher Indian beer.

[​IMG]IMG_20181201_200523404-2 by Kam A, on Flickr

Another great day.
    BillUA, chinditone, yokesman and 7 others like this.
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    It just gets better and better. :clap
    yokesman and GF-kam like this.
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope I am not boring you inmates with all these pics of gorgeous infinity pools, luxury 4 star hotels, and beach shots. If you've made it so far, you should get a solid gold Ganesh. Even better, treat yourself to a southern Indian restaurant

I wish I had a few more gnarly dirt roads to show you. For that you can visit my " 3 Weeks In The Rockies on a Yamaha WR250 " https://advrider.com/f/threads/3-weeks-in-rockies-on-yamaha-wr250r.1177560/ Wow! Viewed 25K times now. At current rate, this trip report is going to pass that by 4X.

Trailer for that post.

Sorry.

Kam
  8. juancaralapio

juancaralapio n00b

Oddometer:
    :clap
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not boring at all! There are not many ride reports from India
    Thank You
    GF-kam likes this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great point Cal. Thanks.

Kam
    Cal likes this.
  11. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    And as I posted earlier to GF-kam, the ones that are tend to be north (Himalayas). His southern Indian exposure is all new to me.
    GF-kam likes this.
  12. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for double checking RedDogAlberta. Seems correct. Nice to be one of first to share an area with inmates. I really think more people should explore the south. Not only culturally rich, but opens India up for winter riding. Food is so GOOD. Moreover, you won't have to deal with life or death issues of riding like lethal acute mountain sickness ( AMS ) at 18,000 ft.

Thanks.
    Kam
    Balanda, RedDogAlberta and Cal like this.
  13. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Another tool to consider is a pocket size digital multimeter.

After watching one the episodes of MAD TV ( Aussie guy ) in India, I realized that having a multimeter can come in handy. Especially when you initially pickup your rental bike. More than likely the bike you rent won't be in pristine condition. If you have time, one of the things you want to check at the rental shop before you ride out is the condition of the battery and the ability of the stator to generate more than 12V. when under power.

Just pop the seat off the bike, and test the battery voltage first with engine off. If you get 12V. then your battery is good and maintaining a charge from last time the bike ran. Then fire up the engine and check the voltage with engine running. You should typically get somewhere between 13-14 V. You can also put the meter, and see how low voltage initially dips when you crank the bike over. The cranking voltage shouldn't drop below 9 V. typically.

This is what a small pocket size digital multimeter looks like.
    [​IMG]91IpCwfuqBL._SL1500_ by Kam A, on Flickr

Once you leave the bike rental shop, you may not find the replacement part. Especially when it comes to stator. Things like tubes, tires, and battery you will likely find.

It might not be a bad idea to give yourself a buffer day in same big town where you pickup your bike. This will give you a chance to have any gremlins or issues resolved at bike dealer before you embark on your adventure.

Back home, I always install a cheap $2 digital multimeter on my bike that I permanently wire into a good power source. I usually install it up on my dash. This gives me continuous gauge so I can regularly see if my stator is putting out enough power. Also my static and cranking voltage. You can find the round ones you punch a hole in the dash at most automotive stores. The sealed waterproof square ones you can find on ebay. I'll post a pic of the one I have on my F800GS when I get the chance.

Kam
    Balanda, RockyDS and yokesman like this.
  14. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a photo of that $2 water sealed voltmeter gauges on my big bike ( F800GS ) I was talking about in previous post. I hardwire one of these voltmeter gauges to all my bikes. Gives me a good sense of static, cranking, and running voltages. Normally the gauge reads 14V. output when the bike is running. I use it to keep an eye on my alternator power output with all my accessories and heated gear. I can see it dip below 14V. You can see it in upper right corner of my dash.

[​IMG]IMG_8601 by Kam A, on Flickr

Here is a conventional round voltmeter I installed on the dash of my Yamaha WR250R. Left side. You can find these online or at some automotive stores. This one helped me resolve an ongoing issue I had with older version of my low beam ballast. The voltage would fluctuate and run low when my ballast got hot. Eventually, I swapped both my low beam and ballast to a new design. Now the voltage stays steady the way it should.
    [​IMG]IMG_2447 by Kam A, on Flickr

In short, always great idea to have a voltmeter on your bike somewhere to make sure your battery is maintaining a charge and your stator is putting out enough power.

Kam
    yokesman likes this.
  15. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This really looks like a fascinating ride. Very rich culture to soak up.

I'll bet you won't complain about the hot days in Utah any more. :-)
    GF-kam likes this.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info on the volt meters. I to have the small $3.42 digital that you show on the 800( they have gone up in price!) Its on my Vstrom 650 for 2 years held on by 2 sided automotive tape . A timely post as I just ordered 2 more from China, need to install 1 on my Super Sherpa and I'll keep the second as a spare.
    GF-kam likes this.
  17. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Walt,

All good :-) No complaints about the nice hot temps in Goa. I'll take it over them freezing temps. Looks like we're going to get our first snow storm. At least in northern Virginia.

Kam
    yokesman likes this.
  18. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Cal,
    You must be my "brother from another mother" :jack Good man. I consider myself half Canadian too, having once worked for Sir Terry Matthews in Kanata.

Kam
    yokesman likes this.
  19. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    At one time I would say you can always put ON more clothes but can only take so much off, after this winter, Im making it a point to Experience the heat and let others deal with the white winters. Don't ski.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  20. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 12: Benaulim Beach, in Goa

This was our 12th day traveling through India. Although, we're still in state of Goa. Some of the gang spent the morning hanging out at the Mayfair, catching up with email, and some went out looking for street food. Later in the afternoon we headed out for Benaulim Beach. Our second beach in Goa. The strategy was to check out the beach later in evening when it got cooler.

Benaulim Beach seemed nicer and less crowded than Candolim Beach.
    [​IMG]IMG_8206 by Kam A, on Flickr

Everything seemed nicer about Benaulim beach. The beach looked like a large cove with a nearby island facing west.
    [​IMG]IMG_8209 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_8210 by Kam A, on Flickr

Even the so called shack structures that serve food and drinks looked more permanent. This is the place we settled in to catch the sunset with a few drinks.
    [​IMG]IMG_8211 by Kam A, on Flickr

Mahi and Vidur holding the fort. Front row seats. Notice how the roof of the shack accommodates the coconut trees.
    [​IMG]IMG_8213 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_8214 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_8217 by Kam A, on Flickr

We got settled just in time. The sun drops over the Arabian Sea.
    [​IMG]IMG_8219 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_8224 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_8226 by Kam A, on Flickr

This guy never moved and enjoyed the sunset with us. I think he was the mascot of our shack.
    [​IMG]IMG_8227 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_8228 by Kam A, on Flickr

I think I took 50 shots of the sunset. Just cannot capture the real thing with a camera. You have to experience it for yourself. So, start making plans for your trip :-)
    [​IMG]fullsizeoutput_7e6 by Kam A, on Flickr

This beach does remind me a little of the beach coves of St. John, BVI.

[​IMG]IMG_8238 by Kam A, on Flickr

Hard to find a nicer place to have a few drinks and dinner.
    [​IMG]IMG_8283 by Kam A, on Flickr

We leave the beach area and walk into the town of Benaulim. As with Candolim beach, you will find a number of nicer western hotels around the area.
    [​IMG]IMG_8289 by Kam A, on Flickr
    BillUA, B10Dave, chinditone and 2 others like this.