South korea riders

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Just_P_Dirty, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:

Yes I know Steve K, I've been chatting with him on FB about his return.
  2. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
  3. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
  4. kumatae

kumatae Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't seen a lot of activity on this thread but if all goes well, I should be getting an offer soon for a military contracting job in Seoul. Will be shipping a car and hoping they'll treat my DR650 as household goods - I'm no where near the 14,000lbs allotment. Lived off base in Osan 10 years ago as military for two years and also spent a year studying abroad in Seoul during undergrad. Really looking forward to riding as I know the roads pretty well and if my wife let's me, go trashing my bike around Russia!!
  5. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    I'm subscribed to the thread. Still living in Seoul (since 2008!) Contractor and they're willing to ship your car? Nice.
  6. kumatae

kumatae Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm subscribed as well. Yeah, the perks are pretty good and is the reason why I'm willing to give this a try. They're also throwing annual round trip tixs back home! Just waiting on them checking on my references. I'm ready to move!
  7. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    PM me if you need any help settling in or figuring things out when you get here.
  8. Outdoor_Girl

Outdoor_Girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone still in the Daegu area? I'm in Korea for a few weeks for work and I'm heading to Daegu in the morning. I'll be there for a week then I'm heading back to Seoul for a couple of days before heading home. I think I'll be somewhat near the motorcycle street which I hope to explore but if anyone has recommendations on cool motorcycle shops outside of that main area I'd love to know about them. My hotel in Seoul was just a couple of blocks from the motorcycle district there and it was interesting to explore but I saw upon leaving town that there were BMW and KTM dealerships a ways down the road in the other direction that I'd have liked to visit if I'd known they were there. Or if anyone's there and just wants to grab a beer and talk about bikes, that would be cool too.
  9. ML WYDELL

ML WYDELL NED

Oddometer:
    What's the regs on renting a bike while visiting? International drivers license?
  10. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    You'll have to check with whoever your renting from, as it likely varies from one business to the next. Do you have a rental place in mind? It seems to be very rare to find a place that will rent out motorcycles here...likely due to the fact that it is nearly impossible to get insurance coverage beyond liability.
  11. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, A few years ago I had found a couple of places in Hannam-dong that would rent bikes, and one around Yaksu. International Driver's License from the USA wasn't a problem and nobody ever said anything about insurance. But renting wasn't particularly cheap. Like, around $100 and up a day for a mid-size sportbike depending on size/condition. I had lots of luck just walking into places that sold used bikes and asking. Oddly I had less luck in the moto-mecca near there on/near Toegye-ro.

Now come to think of it, speaking of Hannam-dong, and forgive me but a quick plug - we have an apartment for rent there :D - there is a KTM dealer (we are on ADVrider after all) near the southbound entrance to Hannam bridge and I seem to recall the folks there, who were very friendly, full of local knowledge, really enthusiastic and English -speaking, were organizing rides and were able to provide bikes too.
  12. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Admittedly I haven't searched for rentals much, but those I know who've tried had mixed results. Most Koreans I've asked about it have told me nobody rents bikes, although I did see bikes for rent at 2-ryun-kwon on Hwy 6 east of Guri. As always, YMMV.
  13. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    It's quite possible that you may have fallen into that cultural face-saving trap of Korean people not knowing the answer to something for certain and not being able to say they don't know, so they say it just doesn't exist, can't be done, etc.

Or maybe it's easier to find rental options near us in Itaewon because of combined tourist/expat/serviceman demand.
  14. optionX

optionX n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi fellows! I hope I don't write that post in the wrong section...
    I'm an advrider from Switzerland on an atw ride. Right now I'm in Vladivostok, Russia, and will take the ferry at the 7.10. to Donghae, South Korea. Now I try to find a cargo company to fly my bike from Seoul to Los Angeles. Maybe one of you guys have some connections and can help me?
  15. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    for anyone following this thread (?) optionX contacted me on another social media site and we're trying to help him along on this part of his journey
    Rectaltronics likes this.
  16. pzxr

pzxr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello is there a ferry that will take me and my bike from South Korea to Japan, I am looking at island hopping from Australia to Japan, is this possible ?
  17. llkk52

llkk52 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there. Sounds like a great plan. There are definitely ferries SK - Japan. The process is relatively straight forward albeit expensive I believe. There is a thread here by a German guy who has done it recently with an Aus rego'd bike. See this thread:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-carnet-via-korea-japan-and-mongolia.1064406/

Darwin - East Timor - Indonesia - Malaysia is a well trodden route now. From there to japan I'm unsure if people have taken it directly but I'm sure with the right agent you could ship from any of those big ports to South Korea. I'd like to hear your plans or thoughts. I haven't done this sort of trip yet but it is definitely on the cards.

Cheers
  18. pzxr

pzxr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this...I would like to ride the length of Japan, so was thinking why not do a extended adventure and take in the scenery on the way! Cheers
  19. MisterMaster

MisterMaster boob

Oddometer:
    Hi! Anyone interested in riding dual-sport or enduro? I know of a load of trails NW of Seoul. Off to Chiang Mai to do some riding in a couple of days, but I try to still ride, here, even when it is cold (like, now). Later! ~
  20. jobynjo

jobynjo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Mister, I'm in Seoul until Jul 2017 and would love a riding buddy. I'm relatively new to dirt riding but I've been exploring north/northwest of Seoul a bit on my little 125 Hyosund Karion. I'm able make a multi-day trip as long as my schedule allows.