South korea riders

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Just_P_Dirty, Sep 1, 2011.

1. crankshaftler

crankshaftler n00b

Oddometer:
    hi! recently entered to adventure motorcycle category. riding crf1000l, gonna move to Suwon soon. would love to ride some easy trails.
  2. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Just replying to let you know this thread isn't dead. Hope you hear from some DS riders soon. I'm a road rider only.
  3. WolfComm

WolfComm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone stationed at USAG Yongsan? I may be PCSing there this summer and have an FJR1300 that I'm excited about bringing. I was stationed at Kunsan Air Base in 2005 and had a BMW R1150GS and LOVED riding that bike through all the coastal roads and mountains. Has the Yongsan footprint shrank with the pending moves to Camp Humphreys?
  4. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    To your first question, yes, a few of us are here.

To your second question, not yet...

Keep us posted on when you'll arrive. What's your job?
  5. WolfComm

WolfComm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm active duty Air Force and will be working on Yongsan with USFK. Should get there about mid July and from what I could find out, we should be able to move right onto post.
  6. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to meeting you
  7. elnonio

elnonio shedding n00bness

Oddometer:
    On my way to Yongsan myself, bringing the GS again. FKJA. Look me up when you get there. Antonio

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
  8. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    I moved to Pyeongtaek at the end of May, if any of you are in the area hit me up for lunch, a beer, or whatever
  9. justafurnaceman

justafurnaceman Imaginary

Oddometer:
    Bump.... I'm hanging out at Humphrey's....
  10. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Not much going on in this thread these days. I rode to Daegu last weekend, got wet. This weekend going to do some riding in the Daejeon area, overnight at Songnisan National Park. Riding with some guys from Songtan.
    tony the tiger likes this.
  11. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Miss riding with you Les!

Hell, I miss riding in general... my bike is still in shipping...
    Hot Stuff likes this.
  12. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
  13. artunltd

artunltd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers all,
    I'm in ansan and would like to get in a few good rides b 4 it gets to chilly. I'm riding a Honda 750 Shadow.
    text me at 010-2816-5691. Can ride Sat and Sunday, overnight? I have ridden all over Korea, been here 22 years.
  14. tony the tiger

Oddometer:
    TDC / Camp Casey. My HHG arrives next week, with any luck.
    Will be looking for some new tires should've got the little bike new shoes before shipping out.
  15. tony the tiger

Oddometer:
    Anybody using local insurance? USAA says no "bike only" coverage...
  16. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    IF you do Facebook, get on a group called "ROK Riders" and ask about insurance. There are some people on there that can help. My understanding of Korean insurance is that it's liability only, Collision coverage for your bike is not available. I have USAA. I think USAA will only insure your bike if you have a car on the policy. Might be worth getting a beater car just for that purpose. My wife's bike is registered non-SOFA ( Korean govt registration) and she uses Samsung insurance.
  17. tony the tiger

Oddometer:
    You are correct, on all points.
    I found a Samsung agent (on Fb) and my realtor found an agent that I'll call tomorrow.

Borrowed a gas can and poured 1.25 gal in the little bike tonight, connected the battery and she fired right up - so all I need is insurance, a SOFA plate and DBIDS registration to be legit.
  18. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to wish all of you Yanks that are in South Korea a happy thanksgiving day.
  19. Afalex1

Afalex1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading to Kunsan on Friday. At first I thought I didn't want to take my bike. But, now it's too late to do it and I'm kicking myself for not sending it.

Anyone know places to find affordable enduro type bikes? It didn't look like craigslist is too popular over there.

I'm looking for something like a dr650, drz400, etc. Cheaper reliable thumper.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  20. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    "There" meaning Kunsan or "there" meaning South Korea?

Kunsan is admittedly a bit out of the way and I think most of what's on CL is in the Seoul Metro Area. Which makes sense since that's where most of the population is, and particularly where most of the transient population is. Gmarket is also a good place to check for online availability of used bikes (and other stuff too).

For bikes that size you may have better luck doing some horse trading with folks at the base.

Or try some motorcycle shops in the area when you get there. Should be lots of places to look in Iksan. Don't be shy - bargain hard. Koreans are very kind and friendly but doing business with them can be challenging. Oh, here's a really important bargaining tip: If you see something you want, don't tip your hand. In a few days send a native to buy the bike and let him bargain without you in sight so you don't get charged the round-eye price!

FWIW in addition to your armed forces services, korea4expats.com is a handy site for North Americans figuring things out in Korea. It's run by a friend of mine. :deal I'd call this mention "spam" but in context I think budae jjigae is more apropos.

Good luck and enjoy SK! I think you'll find it's a pretty cool gig.

-Brad