South korea riders

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Just_P_Dirty, Sep 1, 2011.

1. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    I saw an FJR listed in the Fb group "Camp Casey No Rule Yard Sale" - met a guy riding a DRZ 400 he bought on the economy and plated - he said they were surprisingly expensive.
    The FJR is not a thumper, I know just mentioned for you to check the group.
  2. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Last I had looked, SK had significant tariffs on import vehicles. So KLRs may be the butt of jokes in the 'States but it's still an import. And I know there are displacement surcharges on cars (over 1.6l I think?), but not sure about bikes. Someone feel free to chime in!
  3. Afalex1

Afalex1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "There" meaning SK in general. I could only get Seoul to pull up as an option on craigslist.

I'll checkout expat and the other site you mentioned. I wound up finding a few for sale groups on Facebook that have several bikes.

Thank you all for the information! As usual the ADV community is helpful and friendly!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  4. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    To the OP, since you are going to Kunsan I guess you are military. I'd try to find something for sale on base (or on another US Base) if possible. Much simpler (and cheaper) to buy a motorcycle that is already registered under SOFA -- but enduros don't come up very often. It might be worth it to post a "wanted to buy" ad in some of the Korea based facebook groups like the ones below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bikes4saleinkorea/?ref=br_rs

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rokriders/

Also you can look at Passo, which is what most of the Koreans I know use to buy/sell used bikes:

http://bike.passo.co.kr/bike/
  5. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    Happy New Year YFFF's! Sunny and cold, guess I'll see if the little bike will start. :1drink
  6. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Wife and I got out for a ride on Saturday (Dec 30), not too cold but there was snow/ice on the road in the shady spots. Hasn't gotten warm enough to melt everything off since the last snow.
    tony the tiger likes this.
  7. klinger

klinger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone located down south? I got stationed in Busan last summer. I've got a couple guys at work that ride, but always looking for more.
  8. Afalex1

Afalex1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm stationed in Gunsan. I think I'm about 4 hours from you. I plan to make my way down to Busan in May for a weekend trip.

9. Afalex1

Afalex1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone wants to check out the routes I've done in my area download the tour start app or go to www.tourstart.org. my username if Afalex1 and all of my routes are based out of Gunsan.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    DuaKembara and tony the tiger like this.
  10. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing those routes. Gunsan is a pain because all of the highways going into town are off-limits to two-wheeled vehicles. I saw most of your routes stayed off of them. I avoid going thorough Gunsan unless I am crossing Saemangeum sea wall.
  11. DuaKembara

DuaKembara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    walking around Seoul last month. greetings to all..
    안녕하세요
    tony the tiger likes this.
  12. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    Is that your Tri City? Nice scooter. Love the color. Top Box looks good too.
  13. WolfComm

WolfComm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a good, legal route from Camp Humphreys to Seoul (Yongsan)? I tried last weekend and accidentally ended up on Toll Road 17.....that was a mess!!
  14. Afalex1

Afalex1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look up ROK Riders on Facebook. Lots of locals and expats that can help you with different navigation apps and routes.

15. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    You need to go West to National Hwy 39 (blue oval with number 39), then head north. 39 will split off around Gunpo, but if you stay straight ahead the road becomes National Hwy 47. Keep to the left two lanes so you can use the underpasses that bypass intersections. At Anyang keep left to stay on 47, which will go up on a flyover and curve to the right. Stay on 47, look for signs for Banpo / Umyeonsan Tunnel. Go through tunnel toll gate (no toll for motorcycles), through tunnel, and straight ahead will take you to Banpo Bridge and into Yongsan-gu.

If you have a phone holder on your bike, the phone app Naver Maps has navigation, with an option to avoid motorways. It's in English as well, and pretty easy to use.
    Rectaltronics likes this.
  16. WolfComm

WolfComm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all! Last week I accidentally ended up at the entrance to the Route 17 toll gate. The Ajo-shi waved me down and let me go down a farmers detour path.
  17. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    I only see one called "ROK Relief Riders" and it looks like a pedal bike group. Do you have a link?

EDIT: Never mind...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rokriders/
  18. kumatae

kumatae Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just submitted my intent letter to be stationed in Camp Humphreys as a GS employee. I was stationed at Osan 2003-2005 and spent 4 weeks vacationing last year as well. Anyhow, can someone confirm that registering motorcycle/scooter doesn’t count towards as vehicle? Also, from what I hear, you need an act of God to get approval to register a second vehicle?? Anyone have tips on getting that second vehicle? PCSing with wife and two kids so it be hard without a second car. Trying to avoid commuting on a scooter/Moto if I can cause winter and summers are going to suck big time. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:

You're right, you can have one car and one motorcycle without an exception to policy (ETP). Getting a waiver for a 2nd car (third vehicle overall) isn't easy, but if you have a valid need they can be reasonable. I'd recommend talking with Mr. Brooks at the veh. Registration office on Cp. Humphreys and get his recommendation as to what would be a valid justification. He's hard to catch in the office, but probably worth it.
    kumatae likes this.
  20. Afalex1

Afalex1 Adventurer

Oddometer: