South sound riders (Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater, Shelton and beyond).

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by SteadyStare, Oct 30, 2020.

1. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Just moved back to Washington after being gone for the better part of a decade. Looking for people who want to go and explore the beautiful scenery out here on two wheels. I've got a KTM 690 so I'm game for single track or black top twisties.

I imagine this thread as a spot to organize small group rides, meet ups, or just share pictures of your rides. Who wants to go get muddy?
    Mumbles24, Ladybug and No-Fret like this.
  2. ananthc

ananthc Jus keep riding..

Oddometer:
    Welcome back, count me in.
  3. SteadyStare

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna do a short ride out to capitol forest, starting in the late morning tomorrow. Just a few hours wandering around if you want to join. Gotta get back by 4 or so for Halloween festivities. Feel free to hit me up if you want to join. Probably starting from the middle waddel campground or thereabouts.
  4. K1200LT

K1200LT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be aware that the trails in Capitol Forest close on Monday - "Off-road vehicle riders and horseback riders can enjoy Capitol State Forest trails from May 1 to November 1."
    Welcome back to the area - Great roads (paved and gravel) in the area. Will post here on our next gathering (Just a gathering of friends) . If interested - I can provide a GPS Tracks of Capitol forest - about 95 miles or a great paved loop in Thurston/Lewis county.
  5. SteadyStare

Oddometer:
    I was out there today and all the signs said that the trails close November 30th so it looks like we've got another month. The logging roads stay open year round though. I'd be happy to meet up though. Just let me know.
  6. SteadyStare

Oddometer:
    Pretty dang muddy out there today, but an awesome ride all the same 20201031_132148.jpg 20201031_143324.jpg 20201031_144054.jpg 20201031_142559.jpg
    Gootch, ride200mi and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  7. K1200LT

K1200LT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Signs say - nov 30 - Web site says -Nov 1 Who knows -

PS - Capitol forest trails are know for their SLIPPERY clay trails in the wet season. The gravel roads can be slippery when wet as well. A meet up would be good.

8. ananthc

ananthc Jus keep riding..

Oddometer:
  9. SteadyStare

Oddometer:
    Nice! Let me know when you want to go get those tires dirty.
  10. SteadyStare

Oddometer:
    Road 2 hours out to lake Wynoochee today. I was trying to get to the falls but the gate was closed/locked about 2.5 miles prior to the trail head. I don't know what you guys did while I was gone, but there's a lot more gates and closures than there was 10 years ago. Still, it was a beautiful day to ride even though I froze my ass off
    RainRider45 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  11. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you go in from Union, or from the south?
  12. SteadyStare

Oddometer:
    From the south Screenshot_20201111-090655_Maps.jpg
    what broke now likes this.
  13. Olythom

Olythom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. If I understand it correctly, Capitol Forest “trails” are closed until they reopen in the spring. That does not include the forest service primary and secondary roads, correct?

I would assume that you can still ride the gravel roads year-round.
    >Thom
  14. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do believe you are correct. Maybe someone else will verify. Been a few years..:hmmmmm 7BBAE61F-A446-404E-9D47-9A37A4CA97F8.jpeg 16B1ADC5-6918-477D-8119-F8DFA2D7DC61.jpeg B3046705-0A56-4A65-843A-5BF5F524B084.jpeg
    Mumbles24 likes this.
  15. K1200LT

K1200LT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct - Motorized trails are closed BUT - gravel roads remain open all year. Some good views and challenges on road. Easy to ride over 100 miles via Capitol Forest gravel - Street legal bikes/ATV only.

Steve

Mumbles24 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  16. Olythom

Olythom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answers. I will have to get out there and test the forest roads a little. Capitol Forest is only 13 minutes from the house. :-)
  17. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd watch for tree fall closing some roads. I'm sure the D-Line is maintained and maybe the C-Line but I'm not sure beyond that. Trust me in that you don't want to get turned around up there after dark on one of the smaller side roads. It can take a while to get out.
  18. Olythom

Olythom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tod. I will.
  19. SteadyStare

Oddometer:
    If you ever want to go wander around, let me know. I'm in Lacey.
  20. K1200LT

K1200LT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are good maps of the forest. Download the avenza app onto your phone and then get the geo-referenced map of Capitol Forest. It will show you where you are in the forest and is the official map. You can even leave tracks to see where you have been. The state web site is NOT good on showing what is closed due to logging or fallen trees. If you use a good GPS, I can email you a nice 90+ mile loop in the forest. Take a few excursion from the loop - and you can easily get over 100 miles.
    Beware - At this time of year, even the gravel roads are covered with real slippery clay. You can even encounter snow at the higher elevation.
    If you want to sight see without going on gravel - The D-Line is completely paved and nice and curvey.

Steve
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.