Southbound to Panama, and maybe further.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CA2018, Oct 12, 2019.

1. CA2018

CA2018 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been planning a trip to Panama and maybe even South America for several months, and I just got word from my riding partner that he will probably not be able to go due to personal reasons. We were planning on leaving 10/21/2019. I ride a 2017 KLR, if anyone is interested in riding south with me or meeting me on the way down let me know. I live near Branson, Mo and I am somewhat flexible on the departure date.
    pceire32 and Parcero like this.
  2. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I did that trip several years ago and plan on doing it again soon, just not soon enough to be able to you. I’m looking forward to following along if you post a ride report.

Have fun!
    CA2018 likes this.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I'd be along for this one(I wish) but the "Maybe even to SA" aspect is throwing a wringer toward another potential rider? That's a major aspect of the trip and "maybe" requires a more to the point post.
  4. CA2018

CA2018 n00b

Oddometer:
    I agree with you it could "throw a wringer" but it is the truth. I simply don't know if I will go beyond Panama. Riding South America is a huge commitment of both time and money. It is a commitment that I am just not ready to make. It is a possibility, but I will have to see how the ride to Panama is first. I was thinking that I might hear from someone who already had a trip planned in that direction and that might want a riding partner for part or all of the way to Panama. If I dont find someone then I simply ride solo.
    kantuckid and Parcero like this.
  5. Parcero

Oddometer:
    You can always do it in stages, as I did. It was the only way I could have done it, not being able to get away for a huge block of time. Ride for awhile, store the bike, fly home, then return when you can. Just don’t allow the TVIP to lapse. I learned the hard way about that.
    ApexJeff likes this.
  6. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    learned the hard way about that. [​IMG][/QUOTE]

I just finished a eight year, fly, ride, return from Alaska to tip SA, AND return to my casa in Kino. Almost impossible to NOT have an expired TVIP. I got the chance to return to most countries a couple times each year and ride some of their most exciting and adventurous routes. Things change ALL the time but I found setting goals for each trip, ending the ride, where I could find storage, the easiest, repair and replacement parts that I could bring with me, and extending TVIP, the hardest. I used ADV RIDERS AND HORIZON Unlimited as resource tools, most excellent. I was going to sell once I got to the tip, I decided I was having fun, let's ride it back, including Cuba.
    Lifetime memories .
    Smiles
    knight, Parcero, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do eeeeeet
  8. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is wise to decide if you’re doing SA by the time you exit Guatemala. If you cancel your vehicle import permit upon exit, you cannot obtain another one for 90 days. If you’re returning back through get an official Salida Temporal. imagine there are ways around this, but not without a major PIA and $$ getting back through on your way back if you canceled it. Or, if you never cancelled your permit, you’d be denied another vehicle import if you’d ever attempt to import a vehicle again to Guatemala. I guess if you’re never going to do this trip again it’s not a big deal to leave it open so you’d be free to make your decision further southward.
    Parcero and Cal like this.
  9. Parcero

Oddometer:
    Solid advice!
  10. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Thats not much of a problem really, you'll meet riders along the way, travel with them for awhile. You'll probably part ways through the trip when their plans differ from yours and then meet others. Post on here and Horizons unlimited to see if anybody is in your area and wants to meet. When I went south didn't meet anybody until half way down Mexico then bumped into about 8 heading the same way, it was fun!