Southeast and east Ohio in a day...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by doc moses, Oct 8, 2016.

1. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    So, my SO left to see her 90 y.o. dad (retired college prof, still sharp as the proverbial whip) and attend a German festival so I decided to leave the dog in his pen and go for a ride. Chose the SV over the BMWs because it is a better arm stretcher and, who would take a BMW with bags if they could bungee a duffel on a a seat? Here are a few views of the expert job I preformed. IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG IMG_5010.JPG
    JB2 likes this.
  2. doc moses

Oddometer:
    stopped at my office so I could run late and arrived at camp right at sunset. Requisite camp shots, with bike parked away from tent so as not to smash me if it were to tip. I found a nice piece of broken block for a kickstand support and noticed I had left my camera at home so please excuse the smarty phone pics

IMG_5013.JPG
    JB2 and GAS GUY like this.
  3. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Did some research on the trip as well. (Wonder if I can deduct expenses ?) Here in no particular order are my 4.95 bottle gas stove, my 9.95 Wal Mart high adventure stainless camp cook kit cup (actually its half of the cup kit, there is a bigger bowl but I left it behind) IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5014.JPG
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    SE Ohio is one of my favorites. Where ya campin' Doc ? :lurk
  5. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Research results: the cheap burner and bottle gas work well, as well as my home made alcohol burners (as far as I can tell) The Wal Mart cup/bowl was awesome and it might replace my slightly more expensive mess kit set up for MREs. Oh wait a second, last time I used MREs was this past summer back country at elevation in Grand Teton. SO, maybe that's why it seemed as if the alky burner took so long. That also might be why the MREs tasted so much better this past summer (I was too tired to care?) Anyways, the chicken feta noodle MREs are stringy and the ratatouille MRE isn;t so bad, but everyone has their own opinion on MREs anyways. And the breakfast hash brown/sausage mix was much better than oatmeal (and I ate it with cholesterol meds) ... where was I?
    JB2 likes this.
  6. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Burr Oak SP.
  7. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Here's the bike reloaded (carefully, expertly) in the morning. I had tried to trade it to some older folks (I am over 50...they were ancient) for their VW Vanagon Westy Camper, but they said they would only trade for a BMW. Just my luck. IMG_5021.JPG
    JB2 likes this.
  8. doc moses

Oddometer:
    So, I toured eastern Ohio, drove over an international boundary (went to WVa for lunch) and headed back. I saw a "B&O Depot" sign in Barnesville so I detoured towards it as I needed to use a restroom and it turns out they had an porta John. (sorry, no pic of the porta john)

Anyways, here is a shot of their depot from a bad angle IMG_5037.JPG and here is half of my head and most of their captive caboose
    IMG_5022.JPG
    JB2 likes this.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Been meaning to pop in there (Burr Oak) some day. Couple of years ago, did a fall campout at Lake Hope SP.

You ever stay at any of the AEP sites in that area ?
  10. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Here is the tunnel, turns out it was a cut originally, and the B&O filled it in as the town grew and sold the real estate on the top IMG_5024.JPG
    Here is my head in a helmet inside the tunnel, the ceiling is brick (typical for the B&O in Ohio in the day) IMG_5029.JPG

and here is what I would look like rendered as a saint on a mosaic

IMG_5033.JPG
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Wow, you were able to ride down that rail trail ? Figured it would be closed to motorized traffic.
  12. doc moses

Oddometer:
    My standards for camps are pretty low so I am not the best person to ask, but I grew up near Lake Hope and I remember it being really nice. Having said that, just an observation, every time I have stopped to use a restroom facility at the AEP sites they were so nasty that the women prefered to use the woods. My children and I spent several summers trail riding in Michigan, staying at and riding out of State Forest camp grounds, those were nice. No showers (used the lakes) but we could ride out of the campsite... nice!
  13. doc moses

Oddometer:
    NO! I walked. Didn;t want to leave my helmet behind and did not have a lock for it.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    That tunnel eerily reminds me of the Moonville Tunnel.
  15. doc moses

Oddometer:
    SO, ride report and all would not be complete without this: The Cigar Shop museum which was right beside the captive caboose. It was closed, but I was able to get a few pics through the glass. IMG_5042.JPG IMG_5045.JPG IMG_5044.JPG
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:

Agreed, the Michigan camping and trail riding experience is incredible. Probably, second to none.
    doc moses likes this.
  17. doc moses

Oddometer:
    I grew up really close to Moonville and I have way too much trivia in my head about the B&O's tunnels... My brother and I did ride over the orginal trestle and through Moonville before it was abandoned. They just dedicated a new bridge leading to the Moonville tunnel last weekend. There is another abandoned tunnel south of New Lex which could be a sister to Moonville, same brick patterns, name written in raised brick over the portal...
  18. doc moses

Oddometer:
    No ride report complete without a brick report: The whole place was paved with Townsends, made in Zanesville by the millions. IMG_5039.JPG

and I suspect unskilled labor was used in the reconstruction of the depot walking areas...

IMG_5041.JPG
    JB2 and Gabby like this.
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. When I was there you had to park across the river and climb down the bank, across some rocks and back up the other side to gain access to the tunnel. Does this new bridge span that scenario I just mentioned ? The bridge is most likely for foot traffic only I presume ?
  20. doc moses

Oddometer:
    Well, southern Ohio politics being what they are, its horse and walk traffic only bridge.

here is the former bridge when the rail road was in its prime. moonville..jpg
    Gabby likes this.