Southeast fall scooter ride(s)

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Sep 20, 2019.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fall is nearly here. I really enjoyed the group rides out of Maggie Valley last month so I thought I'd get the ball rolling on a fall ride.

I've got a few things already on my calender so I have to plan around them. I've got family stuff the last weekend in September and second weekend in October. I'm also planning on going to the Vintage Festival at Barber the first Fri and Sat of October. If anyone is going to this we could maybe get together for some riding before or after.

I may head to the mountains next week to escape the heat. Possibly leave on Sunday and return Thursday.

I'd also be up for some day or overnight rides up into Tennessee. I know that a few of you live there.

October is leaf, and tourist season. Lodging rates go up and the main roads get clogged with tourists. Get away from the main roads and ride during the week and there will be little or no traffic. I'm thinking of basing out of Tellico Plains for a few days in October and checking out the leaves. I'd also consider a longer trip heading up towards Virginia.

Right now I'm just throwing out ideas. No definite plans. Anyone else interested? If you are what dates are you available?
  2. Sirkitrider

Sirkitrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Win,

Keep us posted please. I'm interested BUT have very little time over the next 2-3 weeks. I might could do a overnighter somewhere in there???

Sirkitrider
  3. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested.
    I don't know about availability. I'm headed to S. Florida this weekend for a few days. I've got some time off from work - not paid - while a database is supposedly built by someone, somewhere, who is very slow with their "create table" commands. It could be a couple more months of "free time" or a week. It's really up in the air right now.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Right now I'm thinking of heading up to Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah , NC (near Deal's Gap) on Sunday and staying there until Thursday morning. If I do that I'll take my Like up in the back of the truck and camp. They do have cabins there as well. It looks like highs in the low 80s, lows in the 50s and no rain!
  5. millican

Oddometer:
    Lows in the 50s!
    I'll be thinking of that while I'm in FL for family. I'm just itching to go someplace for fun.
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh how I wish I could...
    klaviator likes this.
  7. Sirkitrider

Sirkitrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Win, I would like to ride over Monday afternoon....ride Tuesday and half day Wednesday. But a lady from my church is having surgery Monday SO that will determine my availability. So as usual for me it is a last minute decision:-(

For immediate future reference...
    Day ride or overnight in my neck of the woods, Cookeville, TN-Upper Cumberland area .... has good riding. Doesn’t rival NC mountains but pretty good. Much food and many motels in Cookeville.:-)
    Let’s ride! (Time, schedule, weather permitting)

Y’all come,
    Sirkitrider
    The Virginian likes this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Last night while flossing my teeth I pulled off a cap:dirtdog Of course things like this always happen on a Friday night.

I put it back on and it seems to be staying in place. I ate breakfast this morning with no issues. I think I will still do this trip but come back a day early. I'm heading out of town again next weekend so I need to get this fixed next week.

As for the riding this week, I don't have anything ambitious planned. I just want to get out of the heat and ride some twisty roads:ricky:ricky. I'm going to ride Deal's gap a few times and hang out at the Deal's Gap resort and see what interesting stuff comes through. I also plan on heading up around Highlands and ride some of the roads we did last time. I will be stopping a lot to take some pics.

After this week I will be busy next three weekends but will do some day or over night rides during the week.

I have a big chunk of free days from 14-24 October so that's when I am hoping to set up something. I'm also free starting 28 Oct and well into November. If the weather cooperates then a trip to the mountains might be possible then but more likely it would be better to stay at lower elevations. The leaves normally change in November in Alabama and a bit earlier up into TN. so more likely that's where I'll be riding. Maybe a lunch meetup in Middle Tn sometime as that would be a central location for a few of us.
    The Virginian and MYUMPH like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Change of plan. I'm headed for CMTC in tellico plains instead of kickstand lodge.
    The Virginian likes this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    MYUMPH, Dan V., kantuckid and 3 others like this.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone has visions of fall leaf colors they may just get disappointed this year. other than the more moist areas in upper coves the leaves are turning brown and when the fall rains come they'll fall off brown. We rode the Virginia Creeper bicycle trail Sat. with GK's and when above 2,500' it's still green and moist but below that it's extremely dry as were are in the midst of a 100 year drought in many areas of the east-20 plus days of no moisture to date.
    Cooler is true as our start on the bike trail was ~ 62 degs then 82 down in Damascus, VA then we are looking at 92 today in KY, not the seasonal 50's to low 80's thats normal.
    I'll share this: Those back roads in southern VA anywhere within a days ride of Mt Rogers are an Appalachian wonderland of mtns and valleys. Like W NC mtns it's high enough to be cooler and is a Frazier Fir Christmas tree growing are dues to the elevation. Fall tree harvest comes closer after frost dates kick in and lots of tree trailers on those back roads.
    cheapeto likes this.
  12. millican

Oddometer:
    Where are things now? I'd attempted to drive south of Tampa, but my pickup started having fuel delivery problems and had to turn back 200 miles into the drive. I've got a window of open schedule, but it's closing with a new job that starts soon.
  13. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure we are going to get much color for the leaf peepers here in NC. this year.
    It's been borderline drought conditions for several weeks now. One tree in my yard has started dropping leaves , but there is no color .
    Bad for the fall tourist trade for sure.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    No chance of any color this year as you can see from the pic I took today.

[​IMG]
  15. wavygravy87

wavygravy87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @klaviator I saw you on the Dragon yesterday afternoon!! Caught a glimpse of a red camera and a Bama tag, thought it was you! Weather was great. Hope you had a great ride
    klaviator likes this.
  16. millican

Oddometer:
    With the pickup dead, and a top speed on the Helix of ~60mph right now, I'll likely just ride the Natchez Trace to Nashville this week. It would be cool to meet up with some scooter folk sometime. They're as rare as hen's teeth here.
    cheapeto likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Depending on the timing I might be able to meet you somewhere at the North part of the Trace. Maybe the Loveless Cafe?
  18. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rode down to Red River Gorge, Ky. area this past weekend. Colors didn't seem to be changing much, but the leaves were falling the second day when the wind picked up.
    I was mostly watching the road, though. The pace was brisk and the roads were curvy!
  19. millican

Oddometer:
    I'm on the Natchez trace, near Jackson. Sure is hot already. The trees near the road sure help.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been working in my woods for a couple of days and was 49 when I started to work this a.m.. Nice change! I'm picking big rocks from my woods onto tractor forks, then tote one or two at a time to widen our main road and I've made too many trips back into the woods to count! You see whats around you at a tractors pace, plus I'm hunting rocks a certain size range too.
    Can't say as I've seen those falling leaves? it's mostly green here with the early change trees like sassafras, buckeye and some gums changing or dropping dry leaves but just like the higher elevations where I spent last weekend in VA it's green and dry. The news shows a wide swath of the eastern USA as drought, ranges from severe, record breaking like here to some patches of normal moisture.
    Got to low 80's here today, makes life better for us senior workers...:-)

I am up for a day or two ride if anyone wants to hook up? I'll suggest VA, E TN, NC or OH/WV as I'd planned to do back when it got real hot. Trace i've done a couple times and too far for me plus it's a "just OK ride" anyway.
    I really enjoyed the paved roads that led back into where we rode bicycles in S VA this past weekend. It's a mtn paradise back in there.