Southeast Ohio "Unimproved Township/County Roads"?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by DirtRoad2010, Jan 27, 2011.

1. DirtRoad2010

DirtRoad2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone familiar with any roads like this in Hocking/Athens/Perry or nearby counties? Could you pm me if you have any info?
  2. Solace

Solace I'm back, baby!

Oddometer:
    Hocking County - almost every road is now some version of paved. Very few gravel roads left.

Perry County - still a few gravel roads to play on, look in the southern and eastern sides of the county for the most possibilities.

Athens County - still uncharted territory for me but I'll be down there a lot more this year scouting them out.

There are a good number of gravel roads in Vinton county, especially the eastern half.

As for "unmaintained" roads, those are fewer these days. I found a few in Vinton County and am looking for more.

I'll watch this for more ideas from other riders.

later,
    M
  3. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    Contact the Enduro Riders Association of southern Ohio. They've used these township roads since the earth cooled for enduros and the Baby Burr D/S. I've read that there were some legal changes regarding these roads but I can't confirm it--they'd be the folks who'd know for sure.

The last time I rode the Baby Burr there were enduro arrows a foot deep on some of the trees.
  4. DirtRoad2010

DirtRoad2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info
  5. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buildit could probably hook you up. He rides there alot. There are a few off rt.327, like Pleasant Ridge, and Pole Ridge is in the same vicinity.
  6. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Fire up Google Earth, focus on Tar Hollow State Park, and zoom down with the roads turned on and terrain. When it looks like a quad trail but shows up as a road on the map? Viola. You can find a TON that way.

Also, you can use the track tool to draw your route out, export it and use it to navigate by.
  7. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    I have a Road Book book from Ohio Division of The League of American Wheelmen (bicycles) published in 1897. Each county has a page that gives the population of the principle towns, describes the road conditions and directions to towns around the area. Here is what the Vinton page has to say...

"The roads of this county are hilly, rough and unrideable. If the cyclist attempts to cross it he will have to walk or take the train."

There are no directions to any towns in Vinton

Why can't all non state roads be that way???:evil
  8. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Its funny how just thirty years ago we were searching for single track and now we're on the lookout for two tracks and gravel roads.:rofl
  9. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    Wayne National Forest in washington co is full of great back roads, abondoned roads and jeep roads. Just head out rt26 out of marietta and turn.
  10. motodirtlover

motodirtlover Motodirtlover

Oddometer:
    SHHHHHH!!!!! quiet yourself man!!!!!!
  11. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    Hey it may be nice running into another dual sporter every great once in awhile. In the last 4 years I've never met up with another dual sporter in WNF in washington co. Of course as soon as you hit the highway bikes get way to many. Thank god for dirt and gravel.
  12. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you in Ohio? Your profile is pretty non-specific.

I would encourage you to just go out and bang around randomly. Consult a GPS, a DeLorme atlas, and look for road signs that start with "Old" or indicate a dead end, because at the end may be the rough continuation of the road that once was.

I use a technique that basically consists of turning left, turning right, every other time. If there is a road to the left, I take it. Then I take the next road to the right. Then next left. And so on.

I also like to explore what may or may not be roads. Field access, oil well lanes, that sort of thing. You may find some great dirt tracks... or you may find a methhead pointing a shotgun at you. But either way, it's fun.
  13. DirtRoad2010

DirtRoad2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'm in a lot of places depending on the day. I do a lot of exploring. But I would like to find specific places so I can just go right to it when I feel like offroading instead of having to look for places all the time.
  14. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, I get it, you can't say. Are you like a secret agent? That's sweet.
  15. DirtRoad2010

DirtRoad2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I drive a lot, and take a lot of road trips so I'm in different states depending on the day.
  16. DirtRoad2010

DirtRoad2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bump
  17. BigOhio

BigOhio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in southern Fairfield county and just started mapping out some routes in Fairfield, Perry and Hocking Counties using Garmin Basecamp with the topo maps. Already found a couple of old continuation of "roads" at the end of the pavement but I wimped out on following them as I was on the 1200GS-A and didn't really feel like pulling it out of the ruts by myself. Will give them a try on the 690R this spring and summer. I'm getting older and not so much into tearing around but do enjoy discovering new routes. PM if you would like to get together sometime.
  18. Solace

Solace I'm back, baby!

Oddometer:
    Here's what we're looking for ...

[​IMG]

This one happened to be here

[​IMG]

And is actually in southwest Hocking County just a couple miles from either Ross Co or Vinton Co.

It was fun, muddy but easily passable

[​IMG]

This was a New Year's Eve ride a few years ago and we rode all the gravel roads in Tar Hollow State Forest.

[​IMG]

A fun day

[​IMG]

Later,
    M
  19. eas

eas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Hanging Rock 200 National Dual Sport & Adventure Bike ride will give you just what you're looking for. May 21/22 out of Lake Hope State Park, Zaleski OH.
  20. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    I use my DeLorme TopoUSA. It indicates unimproved roads. There aren't many left in Ohio.