Southeast Ohio "Unimproved Township/County Roads"?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by DirtRoad2010, Jan 27, 2011.

1. motodirtlover

motodirtlover Motodirtlover

Oddometer:
    Check with the guys in the Enduro Riders Association. They are working on laying out their annual dual sport trail ride and use a bunch of those roads. (the ones that aren't completely destroyed by jeeps).
    Chuck77 and bikeridermark like this.
  2. Chuck77

Chuck77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Older USGS topographic maps show all kinds of remote urban county road right-of-ways, I've taken a few sparse clues and found the full paths of these roads using various map sources.
    1 tip is if you see 2 dead-end roads maybe a few miles or so apart, with the same name, look on the old maps, USGS, etc and you will probably see that the right-of-way does connect.

Many of the dead end county roads still continue as a 4 x 4 or dual sport path if you seek out & explore these "dead end" remote rural roads. Being armed with the right maps definitely is crucial, so you don't end up trespassing accidentally, and so you can show any confused residents the right of way on the maps as a backup plan if anyone contests your presence. I've been downloading (for offline use on Locus Maps GPS app) the entire Ohio, WV, & VA 1989 USGS topographical map scans for these very reasons, as well as for their vast listings of names of every creek, hollow, mountain, and other natural geographic/geologic points of interest. The maps are scanned photographs of paper maps however, so they are huge files unlike most vector based maps.

I've mapped out many roads generally in 3 or 4 different clusters / areas of Southeast Ohio for off-road excursions on county or township road right-of-ways.

Heck using ESRI arial satellite imagery, if the satellite images were taken during the winter when the leaves are down, you can usually even see the tracks, and you can often see lots of illegal off-road track or landowner created paths off to the sides of many of these areas. But police (undercovers,on ATV's even) have definitely been known to enforce this type of trespassing adjacent to these types of basically abandoned County Road right-of-ways.
  3. motojunky21

motojunky21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been using Backcountry Navigator App on a Android tablet for gps. It allows you to choose from a bunch of background maps, the Caltopo is what I use. It is an old USGS 24k topo, great for finding old roads. IMG_20190825_113335.jpg
  4. Chuck77

Chuck77 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I had downloaded that one once upon a time, but never got around to using it. I wasn't sure it would navigate on-road directions the way it is required for someone who needs a dual-purpose navigation app.

I'm very happy with Locus Pro after a short learning curve. OSMand came in #2 best. Locus Pro ($3.99 one time purchase iirc) had more maps for free, whereas it seemed like OSM wanted you to only have a few free downloads, and then charges you for every additional map. There are likely free sources online to download them external to the app, but thats a lot more legwork.

I'll be looking more into Forest Service roads in the George Washington - Jefferson National Forests soon, 2 regions on opposite ends of the forest on or near the VA/WV border.
    I've also heard of a ton of 4x4 trails/roads south of the Rew River Gorge / Natural Bridge State Park in Kentucky. May investigate those more next year.

I'm learning of a lot more routes plotted out & named similar to the Trans-Ohio Trail. I just met 2 inmates in Jefferson National Forest south of Tazewell, VA 2 weekends ago that informed us that we were riding the route of the S.E.A.T! (SouthEast Adventure Trail)
    They had just gotten donew with a similar route of rugged roads and trails in Kentucky, but warned that it was very rough & tough going, even for a 250 4T! Sounds like my kinda place!
    I may hafta dual sport a Kawasaki KLX300 (the 250 is the slightly heavier street legal version but also has lower/tamer suspension) here in the near future if I keep learning of more and more rugged unimproved roads routes like this!
    steveb126 and motojunky21 like this.
  5. Woodchip Rookie

Woodchip Rookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bump. New member. Got a TW. Live in Groveport and looking for people and places to ride. I can truck the bike down that way if need be.