Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    I've bought a few bikes in the middle of winter. The tough part is staring at the new steed tucked away in the shop patiently waiting until spring....

Congratz on the new ride. Hope you love it like the old one!
    Lycan1 likes this.
  2. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes, tough to see the bike just sitting now that the work is done. Should make spring sweeter though.
    I had a mishap with my best portrait lense so I am hoping to replace it with a slightly more versatile one for the start of riding season. That would add some variety to my point of view. I try to keep the thread fresh and interesting.
    A new lense for the new model and life will be good.
    downloadfile-3(2).jpg
    Kona990 likes this.
  3. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stopped by Blackfoot yesterday. They still have a few 2018 1090's. They picked up a bunch at the end of the year, hence the great deals at the moment. They have deposits for 13 790's and are expecting 3 this spring. The rest of the folks with deposits won't see a 790 until riding season is done!! You have to be especially happy with your decision to go with the 1090 given the looong wait for the mid-sized KTM.

And yes, -20 C is getting tiresome.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  4. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 1090 is a better looking bike anyway.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  5. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    It's growing on me.
    cal08 likes this.
  6. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's got a good Euro-snob-Mad Max look, especially with the raised front fender. I'm diggin it.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  7. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    This one is for you then.

_MG_0598.jpg
    "Witness me...."- bald guy with silver paint on his face.

"I don't know man, I just got here myself!" - Goose
    DualSport855 likes this.
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Soul Food

"Oh I'm newly calibrated
    All shiny and clean
    I'm your recent adaptation
    Time to redefine me
    Let the word out I've got to get out
    Oh I'm feeling better now"
    - Collective Soul - Better Now

2019 Weekend 1: March 23

The new season begins and the maiden voyage on the new bike is finally done. I don't expect the weather to cooperate this early in the season but be that as it may it was fantastic to get out with the new machine and finally get aquainted.

_MG_0596.jpg

The bike is starting with zero on the odometer and so is in break in mode and I am commited to doing it right to give the engine the best chance of longevity. That means that I have not had a chance to see what she really has to offer yet and won't until after the first service. What I have noticed so far is that despite keeping the RPMs constantly varied and below 6000 the engine is smooth and refined. It doesn't seem to have the raw power that the 990 had when it was fresh but that will change i'm told. That said, it is deceptively quick and was up to speeding ticket territory before I realised it on many occaisions due to the smoothness of the power delivery. The stock pipe is pleasantly quiet (neighbor friendly) but with a nice low tone.

_MG_0604.jpg

The height of the bike is taller in the saddle than my non-R 990 Adventure but only by a few inches with factory default suspension settings. The suspension is miles above what the 990 had and is a real joy already without any personal fine tuning. The seat is firm and comfortable, more so than the 990 was and I had no issues with it. Ergonomics are virtually identical from what I can tell so far, and lucky for me the stock wind screen works great even in its lowest setting.
    The 1090 R was light and nimble and stable blasting through loose gravel at brisk speeds and I was able to test the ABS when five deer came flying over a fence nose to tail on one back road. Be Careful out there, the Deer are very well camouflaged at this time of year.

_MG_0605.jpg

I had no trouble finding and activating the heated grips in the settings as well as deactivating the daytime running light so only the LED stays lit during daylight. When you go into a dark area (my garage when I got home) it automatically lights the incandescant headlight bulb. I stopped by Blackfoot and Tyler was very helpful in setting up the "Favorites menu" with what I wanted on it, since I had not got around to doing that before taking out the bike for this first ride. The auto cancelling turn signals may spoil me as they work very well and should reinforce good habits of not signaling too soon for turns. I met a couple of fellow ADVers while outside Blackfoot and we compared notes on his 1190 vs my new 1090. "PJammer" I believe. Nice to me you and your wife.

_MG_0608.jpg

The roads outside of town were dry and dusty, the gravel mostly dry. Just enough moisture in the low areas to be muddy in spots. Around town lots of melt water and salt on the side roads so she got her first bath before calling it a ride. My first impressions are great. It is a natural progression from the 990 and should be even more capable off road than the amazing 990 was . I should note that fuel range is impressive with more than 1/2 a tank showing after 200 kms of riding and this during break in!

I look forward to the new season all the more now and so, let the riding begin!
  9. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're already in love, Lee. Can't say I'm surprised. :)
    Lycan1 likes this.
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Too be honest, I rarely come across a bike that doesn't give me pleasure to ride, but with the 1090 R loving it was a foregone conclusion. It is just an evolution of a classic that I had loved for years.

_MG_0609.jpg
    I just hope the electronics are unobtrusive and just work as advertised.

_MG_0624.jpg
  11. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Friday on Kijiji Calgary a bit of a 'barn find' for motorcycles popped up. It is a 2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja, with 100 KMS. Not 100 thousand, but 100, still brand new. The seller was asking $12,000.00. Why it was never ridden, I dont know. A bit strange to have that bike and just let it sit. I personally thought about it hard as it's kind of one of those bikes that has a bit of a cult following. It's a pure large adventure bike without the new technology, like offroad ABS and riding modes. In the end for me, the price was just to close to the 790 and 1090, to pursue it seriously. Having those tech features is going to make riding more enjoyable and safe. I think I will look for a 1090 sometime this year as well. I would expect that KTM will make a push to convert the legacy 990 owners over to the 790 or 1090 in the next few years.

The ad is still up on this site if you want to take a look along with some other toys he is selling: https://phil9345.wixsite.com/mysite/inv

The new technology, power, and fuel economy on these new bikes is really evolving the motorcycle industry quite quickly as riders begin to experience the benefits. Sounds like your going to have a great summer on your new bike.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 2: March 30th

"The wind of change
    Blows straight into the face of time
    Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" -
    Klaus Meine

_MG_0625.jpg
    near Lieghton Art center.

_MG_0614.jpg
    Scouting favorite back roads / lanes.

_MG_0629.jpg
    Checking water conditions; On the rise.

_MG_0642.jpg
    And just enjoying the time that I had to ride the 1090.

13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 2: March 30th

bw test (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Just because I liked the way it came out.

_MG_0647.jpg
    A Day to ride, to enjoy some solitude, and to marvel in the suroundings.
  14. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Nice to see you out enjoying the new Steed there Lee, and sharing more great pics! We're far from snow free here in Winterpeg, but won't be long... Looking forward to getting back out myself.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  15. prime

prime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always sad to see a bike go, isn't it? Nice new ride Lee! You should bring it over to Kamloops so I can meet her!
    Lycan1 likes this.
  16. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Lycan1, I met a couple of fellow ADVers while outside Blackfoot and we compared notes on his 1190 vs my new 1090. "PJammer" I believe. Nice to me you and your wife.QUOTE]

No sir. Wasn't me you saw.
    I'm on a 690, and was testing my skills on some Moab dirt this day.
    Glad you're enjoying the new ride, and look forward to more pics, and write-ups
    Lycan1 likes this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes I remember Springs in the Peg. Always took too long to get rolling into summer.

I'll be through BC this July if the fire season isn't awful again.

I stand corrected. Eventually I'm sure he will pipe in. Sounds like fun, Both the 690 and Moab and especially together
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 3: April 6th & 7th

A weekend under the arch.
    Two sides to the weather, as is often the case when a "Chinook Arch" dominates the sky across the foothills. It was windy, sunny and warm or Windy shady and cool depending on which direction you chose to go.

_MG_0656.jpg

I had to test the new ride's off-road abilities or at least start with a simple hill climb on slippery grass and damp soil, depending on your line. I handled it with ease and decended just as easily. The south facing "green lanes" were mostly dry on the surface. The north facing ones still muddy.

_MG_0649.jpg

The Arch in the background. Extremely rutted green lane from 4 wheeled vehicles transversing when conditions are too wet.

The New ride handled the ruts and tiny bit of mud without even noticing them. The traction control innocuous enough left on through the gravel, grass and mud as long as you didn't Try to roost. Then you could tell it was overriding your ham-fisted inputs. Turning it off allowed wheel spin in the loose gravel on some of the back roads. I tried both Off-road and Street mode and there wasn't a striking difference. Off-road seem to have slightly more linear power delivery.

_MG_0662.jpg

Down by the river south of town. The water bone-chilling at this time of year. I blasted through the small river ford north of Black Diamond Saturday and it chilled my feet through the waterproof riding boots.

_MG_0667.jpg

On the warm, western side of the arch. The sun makes all the difference.

I started to see more adventure bikes out south and west of Calgary on the Sunday. The grass starting to green up in the sunshine, poking through last years brown and yellow leftovers. There were lots of broken sections of pavement on the small back roads, some deep and soft, a danger for those not paying enough attention ( or without enough suspension).

See you next weekend.
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 4: April 13

Break-in is in the books (at least the first 1000 kms.) for the new steed. I had 300 kilometers to add to the odometer and had a work function to attend this morning (eating into the time to do it). I managed a 45 minute ride in zero temperature before getting to work, then finished the addition to the mileage afterward. I stuck mostly to pavement wanting the bike to be clean as possible when dropping it off (I have a reputation to uphold). I did find some hero-dirt along the way that I couldn't resist....

_MG_0672.jpg
    Early morning sunshine before the gravel thawed into mush.

_MG_0674.jpg
    leftover snow from the other day dusted the hills like frosting on a donut.

_MG_0675.jpg
    Gravel on pavement like the pellets on a shuffle board, keeps you sharp or puts you down.

_MG_0678.jpg
    Shadows and light, the spring waiting to sprout.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    What the heck is with all that snow in the fields....new? Nice down here in California.