Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    That stuff came down Thursday night. Lot more west of the city.

_MG_0677.jpg
    Cal likes this.
  2. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lee, looks great! What is the small box on the left side of the bike? Tool box?
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    David,

Yes, tools and tire gear. Keeps the top one for Camera gear.
  4. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Still cool at night and we had a pretty good day of big fluffy snow. Most of it has melted but not in the mountains or shade.

Cal likes this.
  5. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 5: April 19, Good Friday

It started great with clouds coming in from all sides it seemed but Calgary an Island of sunshine. All good things, they say must end and so to the sunshine. West of town the temperature dropped off to just above zero maiking for a cool ride and then the rain came, briefly. I spent some time exploring some of the dryer two tracks that I have found over the years and enjoyed the solitude.

_MG_0682.jpg
    Just south of Spruce Meadows.

_MG_0686.jpg
    While the sun still warmed the air.

_MG_0691.jpg
    No traffic or crowds here.

_MG_0695.jpg
    Turned around here as the grass was slippery and the clay underneath sticky and slick. The bottom of the hill was still very wet. There will be time when summer comes and the ground dries.

The weather tomorrow looks slightly better and I expect to take advantage of the extra time off. Time well wasted.

GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 5: April 19, Good Friday

_MG_0693.jpg
    Off shoots from Coal Mine Road.

_MG_0697.jpg Not hard to find if you have an enquiring mind.

_MG_0699.jpg The old bridge in Cochrane.

_MG_0689-2.jpg
    Follow the tracks into the woods.
  7. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 5: April 21, Easter Sunday

_MG_0700.jpg

Rutted but dry, I tip toed on bye.

_MG_0705.jpg
    Snow caps and Cow craps...

_MG_0718.jpg
    Trunk road south of Highwood Junction. Gate still closed at Cataract Creek.

_MG_0726.jpg
    Duck tracks from the pond I was standing in front of. Some lanes will be for the Ducks for awhile yet. I turned around. Discretion, the better part of Valour.

knight and DualSport855 like this.
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 5: April 21, Easter Sunday

_MG_0704.jpg

The best roads are where virtually no one goes.

_MG_0702.jpg

_MG_0722.jpg
    South of Turner Valley, enjoying blue skies and warm sunshine.

_MG_0720.jpg
    The south Trunk closed for just over another week .
    superfunkomatic and DualSport855 like this.
  9. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Is this River Avenue Bridge?
    Is it open? I thought the road was closed on both sides of the river.

10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Open on the north side since there are two residents on the south side. Lane south is gated on the top of the hill to allow EMS access.
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 6: April 28

Calgary had a visit from a cheesy DC villain with an Austrian accent this weekend. Turned back the clocks for a few days to January.

IMAG1085_1.jpg

It started quickly and ramped up fast! Roads were grinding to a halt and visibility near zero in open areas with an intense wind.

IMAG1094.jpg
    By morning looked like this.

When I first woke up and saw this I thought I might have to steal a pick up truck, kidnap a groundhog and head for the quarry, but thankfully Sonny and Cher wasn't playing on the radio. "So put your little hand in mine, there ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb. Babe, I got you babe." "OK, campers, rise and shine and don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there!"

Good thing since I've never really wanted to learn to play the piano or learn everything about the locals......

IMAG1092.jpg

For those from the US and Eastern Canada that ask: "is late April or early May too early for a trip through the Rockies by motorcycle?" the answer is, "It certainly can be". This was at 3428' (1,045 m) above sea level (give or take). The Mountain Parks and passes are much higher and likely had far more.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...tion/routes-and-driving-conditions/elevations

This will disappear quickly, but be prepared for delays of several days if travelling early in this part of the country.

Soon we will be back to this;

_MG_0703.jpg

Be careful out there everyone!
    Hivernaut and Lav1200 like this.
  12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 8: May 11

After another weekend of snow (second in a row) last weekend the weather swung back to the plus side and we finally had a sunny warm Saturday. I took full advantage of the weather and headed out north west of the city with a friend on his trusty WR250.

_MG_0728.jpg Stop at Scottsman Hill on the way north out of town.

_MG_0731.jpg
    Richardson Road just west of the trunk road for a stop and snack break.

_MG_0733.jpg
    Before descending into Ghost Valley at the west end of Trans Alta Road.

_MG_0736.jpg
    Onto the riverbed from the 2013 floods in the south end of the Ghost River Valley.
    Fatallybitten likes this.
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 8: May 11

"Oh mister blue sky please tell us why
    You had to hide away for so long (so long)
    Where did we go wrong?
    Hey there mister blue
    We're so pleased to be with you
    Look around see what you do
    Everybody smiles at you." - ELO

_MG_0732.jpg

Another River Valley north of Waiprous.

_MG_0738.jpg

Solo shot in Ghost River Valley.

_MG_0740.jpg

Heading south under the Trans Canada where few seem to tread.

pictor1, Cal, Fatallybitten and 2 others like this.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 9: May 19

"You've gotta Run Between The Raindrops
    If you want to see the sun"
    - Myron Grombacher / Neil Giraldo

_MG_0770.jpg
    Ominous clouds rolled over the greasy back roads, promising more moisture to top up the puddles already filling every pot-hole.

_MG_0761.jpg
    Checking out the camping at Highwood Pass. A handful of hardy people were taking shelter within their mobile apartments (some bigger than my first) as grains of ice fell from the dark skies. The snow covered picknick tables looking so not appealing among the trees.

_MG_0751.jpg
    East of Eden Valley (in so many ways...). I was getting snowed on when I shot this, snow covered the hills and trees not far above the road level.

_MG_0750.jpg
    South of Turner Valley and thankful of the warm gear and toasty hand grips. I may be getting soft as the years leave their mark on me, or perhaps my tolerance to shit-weather is just slipping. Bite me Johnny Nash!

pictor1 and superfunkomatic like this.
  15. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 9: May 19

_MG_0743.jpg

A little greasy to start and chilly. Stopping to break off the frozen snot early in the ride.

_MG_0767.jpg
    Blue skies showed through now and again as I headed back to base. Temps had soared to a balmy 4.5 degrees by then, oh baby. I had to turn the heated grips down to medium..... didn't want to dry out the leather.
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 10: May 26

Went out chasing the sun today. The backroads were almost dust free and traction great until it wasn't. I was glad of my steering damper a couple of times as the mud snuck up on me while perhaps having a bit too much fun, on mostly hard packed ungraded gravel. Picking good lines is gettting more difficult as I slowly lose vision in my right eye due to a cataract. Thank goodness that at least my camera doesn't need me to do the focusing.

_MG_0773.jpg

Twp 162 just east of highway 22. The dandelions are out in full force and things are greening up very quickly now.

_MG_0777.jpg
    532 was mostly a greasy, slippery mess and I took my time squirming through the worst sections. It dried out 2/3 of the way up to "The Hump".

_MG_0782.jpg
    For a change no major winds howling through the pass up top of 532 . Not calm, but very minor wind. Yes this was taken today. It was cool, but I was dressed for it since it was 2 degrees when I left the house this morning.

_MG_0787.jpg
    I turned around and took this shot as it was very similar to one of the 990 with nearly identical snow conditions.
    cal08 and superfunkomatic like this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 10: May 26

_MG_0786.jpg

Looking east from the top of 532.

_MG_0790.jpg
    Exploring a branch off the trunk road north of the junction of 532

_MG_0792.jpg
    I wasn't even slightly tempted to try the crossing. I wasn't feeling my inner Evel Knievel today, and I left the JATO bottles at home.

The trunk had a few greasy sections but was for the most part good if somewhat pot-holed.

_MG_0774.jpg

Until next time; I'll leave you with painted skies and rolling hills and wide open landscape. Keep on exploring!
  18. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome shots as always. Best thread.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 11: June 1st / 2nd

_MG_0793.jpg

Beta Testing the new bike-camping set up this weekend and torture-testing it along Trans-Alta road. This taken just before descending into the Ghost River Valley.

_MG_0796.jpg
    The 701 Adventure!

_MG_0800.jpg
    Camping on the Ghost River right across from the Valley that extends to Banff along Lake Miniwanka. Picturesque but not without its issues.

Pick up trucks emitting loud country music, Gunfire and nearly naked people riding dirt bikes and quads. All we were missing was the Banjo music to complete the full Red Neck camp experience.

"He'd like to have a gun just to keep him warm
    Because violence here is a social norm
    You've got to humanise yourself"-
    The Police, Rehumanise Yourself

We passed what looked like a highschool grad class of maybe 30-40 vehicles car and tent camping in a large open area on the way in .We made sure to go a LONG way from that crowd, but still for a peaceful camp experience ear plugs were required.

_MG_0803.jpg
    The water was higher the next morning. Bone chilling. I went in with bare feet up to my knees and my legs were aching up to my hip joints.

MikeRC and Fatallybitten like this.
  20. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2019 Weekend 11: June 1st / 2nd

_MG_0798.jpg

Despite the wanna' be Hill Billy campers infesting the area, there were some real pleasant natural attributes to the camp location. None of us managed to get shot by the hold my beer and watch this crowd either.

_MG_0805.jpg

Forgot your tent, No problem, Billy Bob has you looked after. You may not like the payment plan though, De Da ling ding ding ding ding.........

"Sometimes I think it's a shame
    When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain" -
    Gordon Lightfoot, Sundown

_MG_0812.jpg
    Ruining my Liver by the fire with friends after a fire roasted dinner of Bratwurst and Potatoe Salad. Thanks Guys!
    I skipped breakfast the next morning as I was feeling my indescretions from the previous night. By afternoon I was feeling much better.

Hopefully The other two camera slingers will post up here and show off their considerable talents!

MikeRC and Fatallybitten like this.