Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Meeting at the Cinnamon Spoon in Bragg Creek.
    IMG_0518.jpg

The new look of Elbow Falls. The Valley below the falls was raised by rock by maybe 20 feet or more. From the pictures (on the info plaque) it is more at the 10,000 year ago level now.
    IMG_0520.jpg

The Spray Lakes
    IMG_0537.jpg

The Back road into Bragg Creek after the Flood.
    IMG_0512.jpg
    Kona990 and Phipsd like this.
  2. DP-WU

DP-WU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap. What a difference at Elbow Falls! Insane!
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:

The Bridge on the way out to the falls after the flood.
    IMG_0501.jpg
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I managed to get out for a ride this weekend despite work. Headed south to do a little exploring in the Porcupine Hills area. East Sharples road, Skyline, Trout Creek road and a few un-named ones south of the West Sharples junction. I found a nice little road on the east side of Longview that will get you up to the tower if the gates are open.

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg IMG_0557.jpg
    Phipsd likes this.
  5. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    This fell by the wayside for awhile but I thought I would do a Year End (Season End) Update. Now that the snow and road salt is here I'm done until spring. It was a great riding season with almost 20,000 km. on the clock this year.

IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg
    Kona990 and Phipsd like this.
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg
    Kona990 likes this.
  7. Bones Over Metal

Bones Over Metal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great photos, I think you should get reimbursed by KTM for making their bike look so good!

Happy hibernating!
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    IMG_0107-2.jpg
    KTM,hello KTM, are you listening. I could use a sponsor with deep pockets.:lol3

Thanks by the way Bones!

I try.

9. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lee, looks like you are elbow deep into the bike now. All this work should pay big dividends in the spring in terms of performance and reliability. And besides it looks like a lot of fun! My winter bike projects involve prepping the Super Tenere with all the bits and pieces of protective gear and the racks for loading all my stuff on board.

Have a great winter and enjoy putting the 990 back together!

Perhaps we can get together for that coffee we were talking about earlier this year.

BTW, I took a page out of your book and started a thread titled My Year in Review. You can find it under Canada in Regional Forums if you haven't already seen it. We live in a great part of the world!

Cheers, David
  10. Fatallybitten

Oddometer:
    ...when you have fun stuff to do on the bike. Today was warm enough that if I could have got the Super Tenere out to pavement I would have gone for a spin. But I wasn't willing to risk 300 metres of icy alley without crash bars, which are on order. Why, you ask, would anyone need crash bars for a mere 300 metres of alleyway, even with snow and ice? Experience (or a lack of it) tells me to just be patient and wait for spring, which is hard to do when winter hasn't even officially arrived yet. As it is, I spent the day working on a buddy's bike. Tools and beer are a great combination. Speaking of beer, if you do organize a pub night I would be delighted to join you and the guys. In the meantime, let me know if there is a time that works to grab that coffee. Cheers, David
  11. Fatallybitten

Oddometer:
    Lee, now that you have stripped down and cleaned up the bike the valve check will be simple. I have a very good micrometer if you want to check shims. I have found the numbers cannot always be relied on for accuracy and I always check the ones I am replacing so I know for certain what size I need to get it back into spec. The shims that came straight from the factory were all strange widths. I did 2 valve checks on my 990; the first time they were all out of spec (tight), especially the exhaust valves, and the second time they were still in spec but at the tight end. They really do change more than I expected and a lot more than the KLR ever did. I also have some 990 shims kicking around. It is a crap shoot whether they will be the right ones if you do happen to need to reshim any of the valves but they are yours if you want them. Cheers, David
  12. Fatallybitten

Oddometer:
    Lee, I thought with all the wrenching you have done you surely would have checked valves at some point. I am by no means an expert but I have successfully done four valve checks and three reshims. I would be happy to hang around while you do your valves. As for the radiator, I did remove the bolts so I could move it forward to make it easier to remove the front valve cover. Also helps to move the radiator forward a bit when you pull plugs to check/replace which I assume you will be doing as part of this tear down. Let me know when you plan to do the valve check and I will get the shims to you and if my schedule allows, I can stick around. Cheers, David
  13. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Just so you know. VRod shims are much less expensive and more sizes available which fit the KTM 990 Adv/950. Just swing by your local Harley Dealer. Make sure you specify VRod Shims otherwise they'll swear up and down that Harleys are all Hydralic Valves and don't take no stinkin shims.:lol3 Fatallybitten is right. You only have to loosen the rad not take it off,to get at the front valve cover. 3 bolts I believe.
  14. Fatallybitten

Oddometer:
    and I will try to be there. David
  15. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Hi Lee - would have loved to join you to see the valve adjustment - but have been "busy" riding down in Baja :)

If you are still working on it this weekend, I 'd love to drop over and see the process.
  16. Proveick

Proveick Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Stopping to do some recon" photo:
    Was that taken by chance several miles SW of Castle Mt.?
    Years ago (1976 or 1977) Shell was drilling there and well christmas tree was in that meadow (behind you).
    The trail in the photo takes you into BC or you can head S into MT. We called it S Kootenay Pass. There is a big saddle at the top where if it rained and made a crust you could ride to the summit of both mountains.
    If you went over and continued W you could actually ride to the coast.
    I think much of it was closed down to OHV's in the late 80's.
    Do you know what the GPS is for that spot?
    On google the pass is unmarked. Cheers
    (I grew up in Lethbridge)
  17. Proveick

Proveick Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    What you show here is on the BC side.

IMG_0822.jpg

I took this picture on the Alberta side about 2 km from the BC border along that route. The trail that goes up on the right side of the picture was steep, full of loose rock, tree branches and had a stream of water running down along it's center. Not a good place for loaded bikes. Dirt bike would have made it.
    Phipsd likes this.
  19. Proveick

Proveick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that looks like it. Lots of loose shale and really off camber. It was rough but we got our IT175's up and over the saddle. Thanks
  20. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    No - a few of us booked a week on CRF450s with these guys: http://www.bajaboundmoto.com/

Everything from tight single track to wide open 5th gear on the beach... I can see how riding in Baja can become an addiction. I've been home for less then 12 hrs and I'm already working on plans to return.

Sorry to hear about the troubles from the shop... been there as well. Looking forward to catching up with you in December sometime.

Cheers,
    Andy