Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here are a few to add to Lycan1's photo-journal of the weekend. Unfortunately, no one, not even the Grizzly Herder, got a photo of the splendid specimen we saw on one of the logging roads off the TransAlta road. The bear looked to be 4 or 5 years old and stood ~7 feet tall when he reared up on his hind legs to show us who was boss. We decided he was and turned around to give him space. One of the highlights of the weekend.

Thankfully the smoke that plagued Calgary on Friday had dispersed by Saturday, leaving just a bit of haze in the sky.
    DSC04273.JPG

Yes, this road is way steeper than it looks.
    DSC04274.JPG

After bombing around in the mud for a few hours Lycan1 decided his bike needed a rinse.
    DSC04279.JPG

And, so did he! Notice his choice of head gear matches his bike. Rumour has it he bleeds orange.
    DSC04298.JPG

More to come.
  2. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back at camp, it was time to start solving the problems of the world. The first step is to get well lubricated.
    DSC04306.JPG

After a sufficient intake of whiskey everything becomes clear and you can just sit back, relax and find contentment.
    DSC04311.JPG

And in the morning you can wake up to the beautiful vista and again be thankful you live in such a glorious part of the world.
    DSC04317.JPG

Since this is Lycan1's thread, I will finish up with a photo of his 1090R loaded and ready to go.
    DSC04320.JPG

Thanks for having me along on this great weekend outing!
    MikeRC, knight, cal08 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Weekend 12: June 9th 2019

_MG_0822.jpg

"Does it feel that your life's become a catastrophe?
    Oh, it has to be for you to grow, boy
    When you look through the years and see what you could have been
    Oh, what you might have been,
    If you'd had more time

So, when the day comes to settle down,
    Who's to blame if you're not around? "
    - Supertramp: Take The Long Way Home

_MG_0832.jpg

"Get down, real low down
    You listen to Coltrane, derail your own train
    Well, who hasn't been there before? "
    -
    Sheryl Crow: If it makes You Happy

_MG_0818.jpg

I can't help but hear the lyrics of Red Barchetta whenever I come upon a one laned bridge..

_MG_0827.jpg

Sometimes you want the road to go on forever. I took the long way to the carwash this morning finding little inspiration along the way.

4. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Was that you on the 1A by Cochrane around 2pm? I rode the FTR up to Mountain Aire Lodge and then over to Sundre and home. Still inches of hail in the shoulders of the road from last night - crazy.
    Didn't realize that the Mountain Aire was closed - luckily I was on my Africa Twin and not the CRF250L or I'd have been pretty tight for gasoline.
    Turned out to be a pretty nice day for a ride.
  5. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Not me. I was south of Calgary but did see another 1090 heading southbound on RR 24 north of 549. Looked like small Wolfman bags on the rear.

_MG_0823.jpg
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Weekend 13: June 15th 2019

"Just when I'm feelin' sick
    You give my heart a kick
    Then I don't feel so all alone

When I can't get it right
    Just when the end's in sight
    Yes you help me down that road."
    - Richard Davies, Help me down that road

_MG_0836.jpg
    Powderface is open. End of 66 by Forget me not pond.

_MG_0837.jpg
    Lots of Logging on Powderface trail since last season. I looped around 68 and south over Highwood Pass. Almost no snow up top anymore, dry and dusty on the road.

_MG_0845.jpg
    Hidden Gems along the way when I let my curiosity be my guide.

_MG_0846.jpg
    The Clouds rolled on past. Some rain some shine, some warmth some cold. The miles flew by, time marched on. Like Chris Rea, I'm just looking for the Summer.
    Fatallybitten and powderzone like this.
  7. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Weekend 14: June 22th 2019

"And still I stand this very day
    With a burning wish to fly away
    I'm still looking, looking for the summer"
    - Christopher Anton Rea

The forecast all week was iffy' at best for the weekend and it wasn't until I looked out the window Saturday morning that I decided to get out and explore a campground almost on the US border. Policemans' Outpost Provincial Park and campground. I took my Camping gear in case the weather improved to the point that I might want to stay out for the night. The weather cleared up along the way but some of the back roads were treacherous in places. The 1090 was amazingly stable when I flew across some greasy patches, even with all the extra weight up high. I managed to find nice weather along the way despite the dark clouds in almost every direction.

_MG_0848.jpg
    Just north of Boneyard Coulee.

_MG_0853.jpg
    West of Clairesholm.

_MG_0855.jpg
    Just north of Highway 3 near Brocket.

_MG_0856.jpg

Bailey Bridge where a washout in 2013 had made the road nearly impassable. The blocks are gone and road is open all the way through. Muddy but open. The creek has permanently changed course after the 2013 floods and takes a short cut under where this bridge is rather than flowing under the one 100 yards further along.
    MGV8 and powderzone like this.
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Weekend 14: June 22th 2019

A fantastic connector to Highway 5 just west of Mountain View that is usually a nice high speed run. Today it had enough soft sections that you had to be on high alert and not bombing along too hard or you would have more adventure than you signed up for..

_MG_0859.jpg

Policeman's Outpost Provincial Park & Campground;

_MG_0865.jpg

A view of Chief Mountain from the walkway connecting the shore to the Island in Outpost lake.

_MG_0864.jpg
    Taken from the Island.

_MG_0860.jpg
    The viewing platform at the center of the offset walkway.

To be honest; the campground was unremakable and virtually empty with 4 of 48 spots in a large circle occupied. The spots are in a well treed area and well kept with a fire pit and table in every spot. There were spots where firewood was once kept but they were empty. The trees are thick and the area a bit marshy if you venture off the site or connecting roads. The trees were mostly Aspen and for tenting would offer little protecting if rain was coming straight down. $24.00 cash or cheque (self register) if you decide to go. Privacy between sites is good and they are designed for fairly large RV, so if tenting you will be on gravel. There is a camp host at the entrance. Of Note: There is a nice well groomed overflow area that was more appealing than the main sites that you pass on the way in. The Park is well marked from Highway 5 and on the 18 kms south into the campground and Park.

The lake is pretty, and is apparently good for trout fishing but had no beach that I saw. It is very reedy along the shore with a fair bit of algae, explaining why it is better for fish than mammals. There are narrow but groomed hiking trails to and around the lake although in my Tech 8's I kept the hiking to a minimum. You can hike to the US border if so inclined and wave at the Raptor drones on patrol. Remember to wave all your fingers as they are armed. Special points if you wear your red Maggot Hat.

I chose to go back up the road and camp at Payne Lake. The sites are fewer but the lake nicer and closer to the sites. Price is the same.
    MGV8 likes this.
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Weekend 14: June 23th 2019

_MG_0863.jpg

An example of the trails on the Island on Outpost Lake.

_MG_0870.jpg
    Just south of Fort Mcleod on Highway 801. There were so many more turbines up from last year already.

After that shot the intermittent rains started coming more frequently and by the south of the city it was raining steady. Along the way I had to ride through two herds of cattle being moved along the highway and the rain helped wash all the cow shit off that covered a long stretch of highway 800.

_MG_0851.jpg
    Until next time, I'll keep Looking for the Summer.

_MG_0858.jpg
    MGV8, Cal, cal08 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Weekend 15: June 30th 2019

"Gotta keep rollin', gotta keep ridin'
    Keep searchin' till I find what's right"
    - Bob Seger, Roll Me Away

Took a little loop west to Powderface with a small detour along the way up Moose Mountain. Fairly leisurely scoot across Powderface then a bit more spirited zip across 68 to 40 to connect to Spray lakes road. Really raised some dust along Dorian before braving the hordes in Canmore to get to Highway 1A back to Canmore. Skipped the worst of the traffic at Canmore by crossing the river and hitting Towers Trail and across to RR41 via twp 252.

_MG_0871.jpg
    Moose Mountain road near the top. Up saying hi to Red.

_MG_0879.jpg
    Smith Dorian / Spray Lakes road.

_MG_0880.jpg
    Spray Lakes Dorian Road just south of the canal crossover.

_MG_0882.jpg
    Just off 1A east of the Seebee turnoff.

Nothing
    too exciting just a bit of alone time to burn off the week's baggage.
    Fatallybitten likes this.
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Weekend 15: June 30th 2019

bw test (1 of 1).jpg

June 30th 19.JPG

Attached Files:

DualSport855, Fatallybitten and Cal like this.
  12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    August 3rd &4th

Some years ago I was exploring around Adanac Mine and Poker Mountain at the very north edge of the Castle area in southern Alberta. Along with a friend we found a very cool camping spot, high up and not far from a defunct coal seam strip mine. It was below a cliff face which was sheltered from the otherwise wide open shelf created for access to the coal seam back in the day. It had tree cover to shelter from the sometimes strong westerly winds. It was also level enough for three small tents and the cliff face would make for an excellent reflector for a fire pit at its base.

That trip we had set up near the base of a peak further to the south already but noted this spots location for another trip. As is so often the case, timing and prior
    commitments, as they so often do, got it the way for all parties, making trying to get back out to the spot years in the doing. This weekend three of 7 guys invited finally had time and the weather gods cooperated, allowing for a great time.

I took the 1090 still feeling a little beat up from my vacation crash, it takes a long time for ribs to heal, knowing that I was just camping this go around. The other two guys took the pick up with two dirt bikes in the back for a different type of Dual-Sport Experience. I had headed out earlier and left them a track to follow as well as the site coordinates.

_MG_1050.jpg
    I didn't stop much taking 22 south to 520, then Skyline to West Sharples and snake trail to 510 across the Old Man river to connect with #3. The 1090 is so good on fuel I had no need to fuel with plenty to spare to make it back from the site to either Lundbreck or Crowsnest. I remembered exactly how to get to the spot and only had the GPS to record the track for future reference.

_MG_1051.jpg
    Arriving at the site; I set up my tent and pulled out my camp chair and cleaned up and built the fire pit. Then I relaxed and waited for my friends to arrive having a great vantage point across the Valley for when the truck finally appeared. The last time I was out here I thought I had recorded the track but when I went to send it to my friends I couldn't find it. Using Satellite imagery I threw together a track from the road to the site and included the site coordinates sending it to the guys. When they finally arrived they took the wrong fork (my quickly built track was off) in the road so I waved a florescent yellow sweat shirt and honked my air horn to get their attention. It worked but not being sure I jumped on the bike and went back over the trail to meet them.

_MG_1102.jpg

Back at camp we all set up and settled in for the evening, cooking dinner on the open fire and enjoying a cool beverage. There are advantages to a truck being along.

_MG_1064.jpg
    cal08 likes this.
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    August 3rd &4th

_MG_1067.jpg
    The Rock spat off a couple of rather dramatic chunks of heated rock one of which melted into the bottom of my camp shoes. With all the deadfall from a forest fire many years ago that leveled the area finding dry wood along or across the trail was easy.

_MG_1072.jpg

_MG_1079.jpg
    The next morning we cooked breakfast and made coffee on the trucks tailgate and enjoyed the spectacular views. Then the guys suited up, fired up and went to explore while I relaxed and took a few photos. I also did a little artwork and made certain the embers were cold.

_MG_1076.jpg
    Argus16, cal08 and powderzone like this.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    August 3rd &4th

From Very near our base camp I had a great vantage point looking down on the guys as they attempted a very steep and loose hill climb in the old coal seam.

_MG_1091.jpg

_MG_1093.jpg

After they both had their fill of exploration and playtime we packed up and headed home. All good things.....

_MG_1097.jpg
    Until next time.

_MG_1077.jpg
    ExpatADV, Cal, agplant and 4 others like this.
  15. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Cardston, the police lake pics took me back. next time your down there follow the trail past the border marker, you will come to the original RCMP shack down a bit.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:

Updated and captioned trip video from July 2019. Even if it wasn't Southern Alberta.

_MG_1069.jpg
    This was. Adanac Mountain at Dusk, wild camping.
    cal08 likes this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    August 17 & 18 2019

Friday it rained in Calgary and while watching the news I saw the pinks of snow on the radar in the Kananaskis area just north of the 532 junction. The radar did not lie and I started seeing snow on the trees and hill sides south of Cataract Creek Saturday morning around 10 am. It had steamed off the roads and by afternoon the tops of the peaks were clear as well.

I marked the entrance with a orange flag tied to a stick and attached to a road sign post with an orange ratchet strap. I wasn't as effective as I had hoped as a marker, I'll go BIGGER next time.

_MG_1106.jpg

Our Favorite ridge line camp-spot was open and Warren and I set up and waited for Dale. We started a small campfire to cook lunch and it was a bit cool still so we kept it going, until the sun went down, we kept it going.....

_MG_1108.jpg
    We watched fly fishers catch and selfie and release a couple of Cut Throat from our vantage point high above the river. I was cool but comfortable by the well stoked fire. Fire roasted Meat and potatoes for dinner. Everything tastes better out camping, except cheap whiskey. I would NOT recommend Forty Creek Barrel Select. Two thumbs down on that stuff. Too expensive to clean your chain with, but unsuitable for consumption.

_MG_1113.jpg
    Morning was nice once the sun popped over the easterly peaks to warm the air and burn off the dew. Breakfast of French Press coffee from freshly ground beans, Bacon, scrambled eggs and hash browns. Hard to beat the view from the restaurant .

On the way home made a quick stop at "The Hump" on 532. It was fairly windy in the pass today but the air had warmed nicely.

_MG_1115.jpg

superfunkomatic and cal08 like this.
  18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    August 18th 2019

_MG_1114.jpg

After a quick photo op at the top of 532 we made tracks to hwy 22 and home. Somewhere along the road (between the hump and 22) I got the first puncture in a tubeless tire since 1980. It didn't go totally flat as I felt the rear getting sloppy before it had a chance. The puncture was easy to find and east to fix with the tire kit I have had for years. The "beef jerky" strips finally came in handy and after covering one in glue, reaming out the hole in the tire and pushing the plug into place Warren used his big bicycle pump to speed up the filling process to get me on the way.

_MG_1116.jpg
    I have been riding since the seventies, owned road bikes since 1980 with tubeless tires and this is the first time I have had to use one of these. While running tubes I had become very good at patching and replacing tubes. This was quicker and easier by far. When Fall comes I will likely put the TKC back on to wear it out and when I do I'll put a patch on the inside of this one.
    cal08 and powderzone like this.
  19. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your comment about shite booze made me laugh. I was hoping to get further along on my project that I could duck out and see if I could find you. Another time.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  20. kroll

kroll n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful rides with us all.
    I'm hoping to move down to the Millarville area next fall, I look forward to riding some of these areas in the future.

Keep posting your great photos!
    Lycan1 likes this.