Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What road is that with the green bridge?
  2. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    South end of RR 44. Dead end, Private property about 200 yards past it.

_MG_0608L.jpg
    pictor1 likes this.
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    May 2nd 2020

"I don't know what you've done to me
    But I know this much is true
    I wanna do bad things with you" -
    Bad Things, Jace Everett

Sometimes _MG_1362.jpg I prefer to keep potential trouble to myself and only drag people along virtually. "unimproved roads" The best kind!

_MG_1364.jpg
    Ruts aplenty but no mud. This road is no fun when wet, much like the last.

_MG_1366.jpg
    They are NOT kidding when they post a sign "dry weather road only"

_MG_1370.jpg
    The Rut Monster and no fun when wet as I have learned in the past. 99% dry already this year so we may have bad fire year without some June rains.
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    May 2nd 2020

_MG_1360.jpg

Fun starts here.

_MG_1368.jpg
    532 was mostly dry and dusty. I saw a number of other ADV bikes including a group still all shiny and clean at the east end that had just turned off 22 south. Sorry if I dusted you.

Just past this point a 790 R was heading the other way and about to get a minor wash where the stream was flowing over the road.

_MG_1369.jpg

It will be awhile for wild camping at the upper elevations unless you bring a shovel. The dirt bike crowd was already camping at Indian Graves. The designated camp areas were not bad but they were surrounded by muddy trails. The gates were all open so the Trunk is a GO! A few muddy spots but nothing serious and no snow left on the road.

_MG_1374.jpg

Be Safe, Have Fun! Explore.
    IanInCalgary, Lav1200 and pictor1 like this.
  5. pictor1

pictor1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    like Lee says, that is the joy of riding with people who know where they are going and where they have been. I am usually just along for the ride and a few pics......
    Lycan1 likes this.
  6. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Assume it is the part of 44 west of Millarville?
  7. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes. Keep going past the turn offs to the north and go until you run out of road.
  8. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-5-2_20-43-28.png
    Lycan1 likes this.
  9. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I need to take a run down there. Usually turn left rather than right when I get to the T.
  10. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is also another bridge before that. That bridge is not as interesting but the creek that it crosses is really nice. ...There is a nice view of it from the bridge, and I often envied, the people who have the property along it. It would be nice to live there and have it as your back yard. Except when it's flooding... :-(
    upload_2020-5-2_21-24-42.png
    Lycan1 likes this.
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    They have small kids and a dog so careful. There is an interesting road allowance that has a horse fence across it. Spring is not the time for it though.
  12. pictor1

pictor1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    out East of the city yesterday with Ian and Warren, followed a loop from Lee but most of the irrigation canal roads are now locked. Some only at one end so you ride a ways and then get to do it in reverse. Still it was nice to be out and have a different view from the foothills.

untitled-2345.jpg untitled-2357.jpg untitled-2378.jpg untitled-2397.jpg
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Happy Mother's Day

"When no one steps on my dreams there'll be days like this
    When people understand what I mean there'll be days like this
    When you ring out the changes of how everything is
    Well my mama told me there'll be days like this

Oh my mama told me
    There'll be days like this"- Van Morrison - Days Like This

_MG_1357.jpg

"Father says, "your mother's right, she's really up on things."
    "before we married, mommy served in the wacs in the Philippines."
    Now, I had heard the wacs recruited old maids for the war.
    But mommy isn't one of those, I've known her all these years.
    Mommy's alright, daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird."-Cheap Trick - Surrender

_MG_1372.jpg

"There ought to be a hall of fame for mamas
    Creation's most unique and precious pearls
    And heaven help us always to remember
    That the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world"-
    Glen Campbell, Steve Wariner

pictor1, Cal and G-Mac like this.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    May Long Weekend 2020

Snow Country for Old Men

It started with a strong desire to get out of town and away from the news, and the weirdness of the new reality that the Pandemic had brought. The PLUZ were open to camp as long as the group was less than 15 and that you didn't have an open fire. I read the rules and sent out the emails. About 100 back and forth between 5 of us and a plan was formulated.
    Now all of us agreed on the fact that we normally avoid the May Long like the

plaque, but since that was already here why not make an exception to the rule and join the unruly hordes. Although the weather was great as far as May Long Weekends go in the historic sense, where we were going was just shy of 1600 meters and we could expect a cold couple of nights. The day time highs were pleasant looking from the closest weather forecast location; Livingston Falls Rec area just 5 minutes north of our preferred spot.

Pictor was not confident that we could get the spot we liked unless we went earlier than the weekend to set up. He took a drive on the Thursday to set up a couple of tents to ensure our squatter rights (we hoped) and it worked. Big Thank you for that!

We left separately from the various sectors of the city that we lived in and met at Highwood Junction at the north end of the trunk road. From there we more or less ran together down to the site, stopping for a picture or two along the way.

_MG_1377.jpg

_MG_1380.jpg

We had a
    couple of trucks along (the driver's bikes in the back) with extra supplies and a propane fire pit that was within the rules to use during a fire ban. We all hoped the the fire pit would add heat and ambiance (in that order) to the evenings at the campsite. We were all prepared with cold weather gear should it fail.

_MG_1382.jpg The site is a beauty (eh) between the Livingston River and one of the many feeder streams that drain into it on the western ridge. it sits high above the river and gets excellent sun and a fair amount of wind when it roars through the valley.

_MG_1384.jpg I like living on the edge, with a view. I never forget which side of the tent to exit out of in the night.
    pictor1, sirvelo and MGV8 like this.
  15. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tantalizingly clever headline
    Lycan1 likes this.
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    May Long Weekend 2020

Snow Country for Old Men

The Fire pit throws heat straight up and eventually radiated a bit to the sides but at 54000 btu it eats a lot of hydrocarbons. it was raised about 5 inches off the ground and there was virtually zero heat off the bottom of the unit. I packed a big Pizza Pan and Fatally Bitten brought pizza (3 mediums) that we successfully heated over the fire pit. Hot pizza out in the woods, pretty upscale for this camper. Desert consisited of chocolate and nice Scotch.

_MG_1433.jpg
    After a cold but comfortable night sleep with the roar of the river and stream ever present, we ventured down the Oldman River road to see what had changed since we last visited after the floods.

_MG_1388.jpg
    After a little excitement past where the last bridge washout and the abandoned campers were the last visit, we returned to the camp to relax and enjoy the (intermittent) sunshine.

Trying to decide if it was worth a second cold night, Floss&Fly and I ran out to cell service (for a weather forecast) near Maycroft on a fast recon mission. On the way back we explored a little near the junction.

_MG_1420.jpg

We all decided that yes another night was warranted, and then cooked a few boil in bag meals with Jiffy Pop and more chocolate for desert. We had a home made beer fridge in the form of a mesh bag on a long rope over the west side of the ridge into the freezing cold stream. We played around on the bikes in a field between the site and the trunk road just to practice off road skills. We hiked north of our site to get down to the river for a closer look.
    Once again, later on, the Fire Pit came in handy to make a cold evening more comfortable.

The Following morning before packing up, sadly, the propane ran out with a sad sounding woof about 10 minutes into warming the 2 early risers up.

_MG_1431.jpg

Until Next time, Ride on, stay safe, get living.

AJRJ, pictor1, Lav1200 and 9 others like this.
  17. pictor1

pictor1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and a few more from the May Long with Lycan1 and the boys.

MayL 2020-2412.jpg
    MayL 2020-2452.jpg
    MayL 2020-2469.jpg
    MayL 2020-2471.jpg
    G-Mac, Cal, Lycan1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. pictor1

pictor1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and yet more.....
    MayL 2020-2529.jpg
    MayL 2020-2570.jpg
    MayL 2020-2665.jpg
    MayL 2020-2692.jpg

pizza, booze and jiffy pop, doesn't get better than that!
    G-Mac, Fatallybitten, Cal and 3 others like this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    The color in those photos is awesome.
    cal08, pictor1 and Lycan1 like this.
  20. pictor1

pictor1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks but it is all cheating done in Adobe Lightroom...
    Lycan1 likes this.