Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    never underestimate a KLR. :lol3
    Lycan1 likes this.
  2. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Nice 990, good to see you came over to the Orange side! The 990's are amazing bikes and so well balanced.

Yes new bike back in 2018 after I wore out the 990 (almost 150,000 kms) and sold it for parts. Too much money for the engine rebuild so the sensible thing was put that toward a decade newer bike.

_MG_1827.jpg

_MG_1829.jpg
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    So true. The best part is you don't get bent out of shape when you crash. It just adds character.

_MG_1808.jpg
    KLR rider showing how its done.

KLR resting on the avalanche.JPG
    One of me from the archives

IMG_0089.jpg
    My KLR in Ghost River Valley before the floods
    DualSport855, dammitdave and yamalama like this.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    The same jacket you have been wearing for years!
  5. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Same brand but that one has been retired for a few years. That was the original Cayenne from Revit circa 2010.
    I have a Revit Sand 2 Jacket and pants now.

May30 20-2895.jpg
    Courtesy Pictor 1.
  6. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    That's a great photo.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  7. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes, he is a talented man and photographer.
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    September 19th

A shocking suspension of my season perhaps?

"The worlds a forest, and we're the leaves
    here for the summer, lover, then it over
    put your problems in the paper
    let the cool evening air steal away secret smoke"
    - Queen City Kids, Secret Smoke

A smokey last hurrah of summer after a quick rip west after work Friday.

IMG_20200918_065114370_HDR.jpg

Pictor & Fatally Bitten had gone out ahead of me and I followed as soon as I could get away from work. The forecast looked OK as far as the weather above the veil of forest fire smoke was concerned. We had to trust the weatherman since from ground level it was really hard to tell whether it was sun or cloud. The temperature was warm and once north of 1A on the road to Waiparous, traffic very light. Trans Alta was downright deserted by 2020 standards and the further in and rougher the road the fewer other people I saw. I descended to the river valley and followed the winding trail left at the bottom and it wasn't long until I found the guys setting up at a spot they felt would work. I was busy setting up and missed a shot of the sun setting between two peaks. It was a blazing fuzzy Red ball in the haze and I was disappointing I didn't get the camera out in time.

_MG_1835-2.jpg

Pictor fired up the pit and not long after we set to roasting hot dogs over the flames. We managed to get dinner done and cleaned up before the darkness descended completely. Dessert was roasted marshmallows and dark chocolate accompanied by my cheap whisky. Fatally Bitten had said that he would bring some really good scotch the next time we camped and he had filled his flask to fulfill that promise. It was tucked under the net on his soft tail bag. Somewhere down the road, likely Trans Alta in its bumpy glory, it made its escape. Somewhere out there is a Plastic flask with fine single malt in it. Despite his efforts to find it, and all 3 sets of eyes scanning the road on the rainy ride out this morning it evades capture and is still at large.

The night was as calm and warm as I have ever seen down there, and aside from ourselves and one nearby group with decidedly poor taste in music, was virtually empty. We stayed up until what few stars could be seen through the smoke appeared and the fire embers were dark.
    This morning the wind whipped at the tents and after we had breakfast it intensified, adding light rain to the mix. So after a hasty pack up we retreated to the city. Our plan of exploring along the dried out valley on hold, for another time with more hospitable conditions. For me the ride was more entertaining than usual with only a spring on the rear, as calling it a shock absorber would be an exaggeration.

Now, with the bike washed, up on the work stand, and the rear suspension removed to be looked over by Blackfoot(for KTM). It will likely be returned to me saying "regular wear and tear",(translates to: Sucks to be You) but perhaps I will get lucky and have them find a defect that warrants replacement or repair. If not, a member of the forum has generously offered to do the repair for me.

Whether the process is quick enough to salvage any of the remaining riding season remains to be seen. Is that Terry Jacks I hear playing in the distance....?

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

Tune in next season, same Lycan - time, Same Lycan - channel.
  9. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no photos but was witnessed by a guy and his dad on proper dirt bikes. I think they thought me and my buddy on his 1200 Triumph were not right in the head for doing it. Perhaps they were right.

I just got back from about a week in the area. Hartley and Grey Creek passes now off the checklist and rode a bunch of stuff north of Elkford that we occasionally had no business being on with bikes that size. Went through the Gilnockie area from Yak and over to Koocanusa, mostly following one of your tracks with the exception of going south to Bloom creek past the old Packrat Motel site. Found some great roads and some that were just rough and dusty. Had to avoid becoming hood ornaments for logging trucks in a couple instances. Shook an exhaust gasket into submmission on the Guzzi but for once was prepared and had a spare. Need another gasket and new tires now but overall was a great trip.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  10. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Are you alluding to 'Seasons in the Sun' - We had joy, we had fun...
    Mock lyrics 'sticking fingers in our bum'.

Bummer about the suspension. I've thought about camping where you fellers were but there are always noisy yahoos down there partying all night long - usually drunken debaucheries.
    I guess you lucked out on that front.

Lycan1 likes this.
  11. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the campfire photo what a great picture
    Lycan1 likes this.
  12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Very good, and yes, minus the fingers etc.

The place had us, one group of drunken Yahoo's with terrible music and another far across the valley ( we saw their headlamps in the dark). The emptiest I have ever seen it. It has taken a beating down there from the free range urban lunatics this summer.

The shock is in the hands of the techs and KTM. Wish me luck. The only thing I'm sure about is it will cost me, riding time and money, it always does.

Thanks Snobear.
  13. pictor1

pictor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a couple more pics from the Transalta night with Lycan1 and Fatally Bitten.

Sept 2020-4355.JPG
    Sept 2020-4363.JPG
    Sept 2020-4369.JPG
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Here's another image, perhaps my favorite that pictor1 took of his camp set up that last Ghost River camp.

Sept 2020-4366.JPG
    Courtesy of Pictor1.
    squid61, Cal, Fatallybitten and 7 others like this.
  15. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Recruiting Guest Photographers.

My backroad exploring may be done for my favorite season (Fall) waiting for a verdict from corporate KTM. It's all about numbers and not their riding time in jeopardy.

IMG_20200927_144703186_HDR.jpg

Even if they green light a replacement it will likely take ten days for the replacement to get here, eating into the remainder of rideable weather. When you only have weekends, they can be precious few remaining come the end of September.

In the interim I welcome any entries from local riders while out and about in Southern Alberta. Feel free to post your adventures here. If you like you can even email me the originals and I'll work Lightroom magic on them so they are presented at their best.

I have seen many great pictures from the local crew as of late.

Show off our backyard in all its Fall glory.

IMG_20200927_152902095_HDR~2.jpg

"Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well." - Jack Kornfield

See you all again down the dusty roads.
  16. squid61

squid61 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    pictor1 and Lycan1 like this.
  17. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Bummer about the shock and the corporate mumbo jumbo. Hopefully, KTM does right by you and makes you whole again.

I read your post about a lost passion this year. I've felt it too. Normally, I'd ride 15,000-18,000 every summer. This summer it's been under 1,000.

I finally got out there today and enjoyed that last glimpses of summer and fall. The right-of-way out by the Leighton Art Centre is now closed to traffic. The river by Black Diamond was low enough to ride across - and was slimy - just about did a full gainer getting off the bike.

Lots of empty roads on the back roads around Turner Valley. Bragg Creek was its usual gong show with several kilometres of stopped traffic in both directions. I had a motorcyclist give me the finger for filtering on the shoulder - first time for everything.

IMG_0445.jpg IMG_0448.jpg
    G-Mac, pictor1, Lycan1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    The shot that you got your boots wet for and almost took a header for is very nice!

IMG_0079.jpg
    Shot in the same place getting my boots wet to do it.

No surprise that another road allowance is closed. It was getting chewed up and went to a dead end that was bordered on all sides by people with money. Access to horse jumping facility. It was good for photographs off the beaten track. They might have had dirtbags dumping garbage recently but I never saw any evidence the times I ventured along it.

_MG_0684.jpg
    sirvelo and superfunkomatic like this.
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Southern Alberta Archives.

On a Rainy October Thanksgiving Day in the strangest of years 2020 a few memories of what I have had to be thankful for living here.

IMG_0044.jpg
    Waiprous Valley back in 2010.

IMG_0599.jpg
    Powderface Trail in 2012.

IMG_0679.jpg
    Group rides with friends on one of the many "unimproved roads" we have the ability to quickly access. 2013

IMG_0775.jpg
    Access to great mountain roads even late in the season. 2014

Ride on my friends!
  20. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Southern Alberta Archives.

IMG_0124.jpg

Early season 2011 just west of the city.

IMG_0042.jpg
    North end of Ghost Valley with guys from ADV Rider Calgary in 2012.

IMG_0815-2.jpg
    South of Castle Mountain Resort when that was still allowed in 2013.

IMG_0064.jpg
    Ghost River Valley after the floods and after weekend carnage in 2016 fall.

Ride on my friends!