Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Around Cypress Hills it is more about the moisture and time of year, fall being much drier. The Gap road especially. Most of the roads in the area have a clay base so any amount of rain will quickly turn them into an ugly mess even if they were dusty and solid when dry.

IMG_0141a.JPG
    I just use Google earth satellite view to scout an area and then plot tracks in Basecamp for ones I'm curious about. Then I go out and see if they are permissible and passable. The TCAT route through there and the track south and east that we used were good. I have not explored that area nearly as much as I would like simply due to the time it takes to get there from Calgary. Day trips don't allow for much time for exploring. There is always camping season next year.

Two telephone pole lengths in and the wheels were jammed solid after a night of rain. Clay with just a bit of gravel on top for looks. This was between Elkwater and Mannyberries.

Cypress.JPG

PS. Don't trust Garmin Topo it is seriously out-of-date in SO many areas. See example above.
  2. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Thnx. Really appreciated. That mud looks bad. Can't imagine getting stuck, or breaking down out there in the boonies.
  3. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came through the Gap road the day after a rain. Didn't take long to plug the front fender on the Tenere. Still need to raise that sucker up a bit. Gravel stuck in the mud did a number on my front tire too.
    Phipsd likes this.
  4. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Lee - great pictures (as always). I really like the "532 early season"... you nailed it. I just got back from a solo explore from Pincher Creek to Calgary - the area around and in Porcupine Hills is classic southern Alberta beauty... makes me very glad to call this part of the world home.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  5. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    October Dawn to Dusk

The Start/Finish Line, yeah yeah, I know.....Starbucks...

Glad "Floss&Fly" could join us for coffee in the morning, sorry you couldn't get away for the ride.

IMG_0446.jpg Early morning Green-Laning. Sorry no pictures of the good one, I was too busy in the mud.

IMG_0450.jpg
    After a quick stop to say hi to "Clgrider" the new bridge at the former water-crossing on Dutch Creek Road. GS1200 approved now.

IMG_0467.jpg
    Took a run up Adanac Road to the old mine site. Bloody windy up top!

I took some video coming back down the trail that I'll post up soon.

IMG_0469.jpg
    Out standing in our field....

It was a great days riding with you guys; "Payner", "Ianincalgary", "Xscoobysnack"

ā€œI shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and Iā€”

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.ā€ Robert Frost; The Road Not taken.
    Phipsd and dustin2 like this.
  6. payner

payner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Lee, thanks again for organizing, planning and documenting this trip.
    What a great day... long... but perfect weather, great riding partners and a lot of fun roads.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  7. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a blast as well. Even started getting faster on the marbled gravel by the end of the day. Great photos!
    Lycan1 likes this.
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I noticed that. I had a couple of pucker moments on the deep marbles myself, but like anything practice makes perfect.

I'm glad you had a good time.

IMG_0449.jpg
    dustin2 likes this.
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    The Video from Adanac Road.

IMG_0477.jpg
  10. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like Dutch Creek - Atlas road is going to be restored for some purpose. BTW, there were some narrow places on the Atlas side not passable for a car or a truck, and a narrow ATV bridge down to Coleman area, what happened to them?
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    They are still there along with the two small rotten bridges. There was a pile near the one that looked like the same material, but I'm not sure which trail it came from.

Those rotting bridges are getting dicey for anything heavier than a quad.

IMG_0455.JPG
    This is one of the new ones that may be replacing the rotten ones.
  12. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, if the road still not passable through for a truck, then why there are new bridges? Are they making an accesses road for a mining/oil/whatnot site?
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    It didn't look like it, but it makes sense that it would be for logging not recreational use. Time will tell.

At the north-most bridge they made a real point of blocking the paths down to the river that were being used to cross the creek when the bridge was out. Maybe they realize that they won't keep people out and don't want them through the streams (which are not legal to cross with a motor vehicle). Expensive but effective way to keep most out of the water, and it extends the season that the area will be accessible (if you like mud).

IMG_0008.jpg
  14. flossandfly

flossandfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to meet you before the ride. When it comes to speed on gravel please ride your own ride. Your buds will pull over and have a snack or take a picture.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  15. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Another morning with nothing better to do than ride. Life is good.
    IMG_0500.jpg
    A Pumpkin in the fall.

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0501.JPG

Being the Full-Service tour guide I also shot video on the green lanes that I missed yesterday.

It will be up tomorrow.
    Kona990 and Phipsd like this.
  16. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I wasn't worried about that. I was trying different body placements and gear selections until I found a combination that seemed to work. The others gave me some good advice that helped as well. Next thing you know, I was ALMOST as quick but not really going outside my comfort zone. Believe me, the fear of pain more than trumps my pride at not being as fast on that particular surface. :)
    Lycan1 likes this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Video from the slippery Green Lane north of Millervile. The second one that we did on Saturday.

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg
    Kona990 likes this.
  18. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Here is the run just west of Calgary near Red Lake on RR-21.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0532.JPG
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    October 17th Margaret Lake Run. I hate mud, and at one point paused to let Floss&Fly do recon on his XR400, before comitting to what appeared to be a nasty mud trail. In the end, I didn't want to be beat and slogged through it all making it to the lake.

The morning air was cold when I left the garage, especially above 80 kph, even the heated grips were not enough. I should have worn my heavier gloves.

Up by the Tower south of Cochrane.

IMG_0502.jpg

Where the trail used to go. waiting to hear how the muddy detour looked.

IMG_0517.jpg
    I got this far so mud be damned!

IMG_0520.JPG
    About to get down and dirty.

IMG_0524.JPG
    Down by Margaret Lake. Mission acomplished!
    Kona990 and Phipsd like this.
  20. flossandfly

flossandfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I expected you would take me up on my offer to take the xr400 the last muddy and steep part.

You showed a lot of skill piloting your big bike through all the mud and steep hills. I dont want to be the guy who gets big bike riders into trouble but somewhere is a super tenere with some battle scars from the same ride a couple years ago.
    Lycan1 likes this.