1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Southern Alberta one Weekend at a time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lycan1, Jun 9, 2013.

1. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    White rim stripes would be a nice touch. Really like the orange rim stripes on your old 990. I'm thinking of a high fender swap on my AT. Do you find your high fender "sails" at all when you are on the highway?
    Lycan1 likes this.
  2. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You place your forks on the second line. I always figured you a line 1 man. Who knew.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I can go both ways.:lol2

Seriously though, .... the 990 was right to the top of the tubes after I adjusted from the shorter rider I bought it from who had it dropped an inch. That, I noticed.
    The 1090 R had them this way from the factory and I have not moved them yet. I notice a change in handling when new rubber goes on, especially when the 908 first went on as it added 20 mm to the rear. I doubt that with the 21" front I would notice any change in behaviour ( quicker steering or slower steering or more or less stability at speed ) with the 2-4 mm of change in the tubes. Maybe on a racetrack with street tires and a smaller front wheel but not what I typically do. Just for the sake of exploration and inquiry though I'll change it up after the first week in the spring and see if I can notice any quantifiable, seat-of-the-pants difference on this bike. Maybe it will wheelie easier.
    cal08 likes this.
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Never had any issue with the high fender. I honestly never notice it is there.
    downloadfile-3(1).jpg
    Not the old 990 fender when on the 990. It was the Super Enduro fender off the 950 SE. Very hard if not impossible to find in orange and harder yet in black.
    IMAG0942.jpg
    Nor the super Motard fender I use now. Both are very solid, and neutral and never make their presence felt.

As a side note I still have that orange fender as pictured should someone need it. Free to a good home.
    superfunkomatic and sirvelo like this.
  5. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2021 March 14th

I'M FREE- I'm free,
    And freedom tastes of reality,
    I'm free-I'm free,
    AN' I'm waiting for you to follow me - Pete Townsend (The Who)

And so the season begins, although I do expect the occasional temporary
    interruption. I'll take each day as it comes and enjoy each precious ride. Here we go again.

IMG_20210314_120225870_HDR.jpg
    All Systems go for launch!

_MG_1849.jpg
    Waiting on a Friend.

_MG_1851.jpg
    The sun was warm but the fields were still wearing last years faded corduroys.

_MG_1854.jpg
    Haze to the west from the quickly rising temperatures and the still abundant snow cover.

Stay dusty my friends!
  6. Turbeau

Turbeau Graduate with honors - University of Hard Knox Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the day!! I'm still stuck with parts in Covid purgatory at the border...(prescription brackets to fix my lazy eye aux lights among other things)

Attached Files:

Lycan1 and ColumbusTheExplorer like this.
  7. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Hoser

Oddometer:
    These are all amazing photos, glad I caught this thread! Safe riding out there this season - cheers!
    Lycan1 likes this.
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Soon!

Oh and stroking that city off the list for retirement.
  9. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous opening shot of the mountains in their white robe, and the bike's not too shabby either. Looking forward to the season's photos. dd
    powderzone, cal08 and Lycan1 like this.
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2021 March 20th

The dusty first days of Spring are here. The air crisp, the smells like the colors muted and the back roads chalky with dust. Snow still lingers in the shade among the trees that are yet to begin budding. The light still harsh and wintery before the sun arcs high across the sky.
    Despite the few patches of ice still lurking in the potholes and in the shadows of underpasses, I ventured just south of the city to investigate a few favorite trails.

_MG_1855.jpg
    Just south of Red Deer Meats where a gate and concrete blocks had been set up. The gate, along with the barb wire, has been removed and the blocks now make this a two wheeled (or foot) only trail, which is fine with me. There should be less garbage being dumped along its length now.

_MG_1864.jpg

Then a loop around Twp. 220A and a stop at a new (since last year) Memorial area with a table and bench.

_MG_1867.jpg
    I have stopped here many times as it is quiet and has a pleasant view and now there is something other than the fence to sit on.

_MG_1870.jpg
    Just south of the Ann & Sandy Cross Conservation area that takes you up 144th and back to Hwy 22. It was a brief but as always enjoyable ride.

Stay dusty my friends!
  11. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    2021 March 20th

_MG_1859.jpg

_MG_1860.jpg

I always think of this one as Redcat lane since I did some photographs of him riding down it not long before he was gone.

_MG_1874.jpg

Stay dusty my friends!
  12. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    New license plate. And no stickers required now right?
    I'm glad to see that path is back to walking and two-wheeled vehicles again. There was a ton of garbage (literally up there last fall).
    Great pics (as always).
    Lycan1 likes this.
  13. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just renewed my plates (a little late thanks to no more reminders;thanks, province!) and she told me no more month and year stickers. I asked her about what to do in other jurisdictions and she hadn't been asked this before. Having the paper registration will suffice but I imagine displaying expired stickers might make a legitimate excuse for a "fishing expedition" stop. I guess we'll see.
  14. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    That's why I peeled my old ones off. Same licence plate for now but no need to show expired decals. New plates coming but they won't change them until they run out of current stock of old plates. There is a national database of plates and cops don't have to punch in your plate, the scanner and computer do all the work. It tells them if you forgot to renew.

As far as the blocks go, I have no issue when all they keep out are the cheap pricks that can't be bothered to pay the nominal fee at a dump but instead load up all their old crap and drive it out to a nice area and push it off the back. It's no wonder adjacent landowners get angry enough to pay good money to gate off a public right of way. The province should impound the vehicle of anyone caught illegally dumping garbage for a year, plus make them work unpaid to clean up the whole right of way, regardless of how long it is.
  15. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^
    I wish you could like a post more than once!
    cal08 likes this.
  16. spuh

Oddometer:
    So you don't need to have your registration paper copy with you?

How hard were the stickers to peel off?
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got pulled over for speeding last Wed. and I defiantly needed the registration!
  18. spuh

Oddometer:
    Whoa! You lost me there; were you the one being defiant? Or the member? Maybe word hasn't quite got around to all members yet. I hope your bank balance came out unscathed.
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    lol, auto correct changed definitely to defiantly:lol3 24 over is 207.00 he would not listen to reason!
    Lycan1 likes this.
  20. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Yes you must have your paper copy of registration and proof of insurance along. Those rules have not changed. A chisel and patience and a bit of kerosene to remove the glue bits. Not a big deal.
    superfunkomatic and Cal like this.